My Moods Has Turned Very Unstable

sambogi76

First off, I'm not bipolar, but cyclothymia is still up in the air.

For over a year now my moods has been quite unstable from feeling very good to very bad with everything else in between. But for whatever reason my moods has become very unstable and for no reason. Generally negative thinking takes over and spirals me down. But this week I have seen 2 days where I was either highly irritable, down, or both and then felt normal within one day. Then yesterday I was highly irritable in the morning then I found myself isolating myself lying in bed while we had friends over. After taking an Ativan, I found a way to get up and socialize (minimally, fearing that they will figure out my mood) for over an hour before I had to seclude myself again.

This is more of a rant than anything else, so I'm sorry, I just can't take these mood shifts. I feel like I'm loosing my mind. It's impossible to plan anything because I have no idea how I will be.

I also have the same problem my mood goes from high as a kite to rock bottom in seconds hour to hour im like a different person.The pattern your describing sounds very similar to my own I have also suspected I have cylcothemia or possibly borderline personilty disorder.You could try some dbt exercises or try practicing mindfulness and mediation,do you drink coffee by any chance caffeine can cause mood swings like that,when I cut out coffee my moods swings have gotten much better.

I do drink a bit of coffee, always have. These cycles or whatever usually last 4-7 days, but I have had some good moods or highs last up to 2 weeks. I feel like something in my head has shorted out. I haven't really had any "highs" lately just switching from depression to normal. Have you seen a therapist or a psychiatrist? My therapist has pointed to cyclothymia but hasn't formally said it. I too feel like I'm 2 totally different people at times.

I did go to a really good pschotherpist for a few months,she helped me a lot get in touch with how I feel instead of trying to act out a façade to get people interested in me ,my therapist was sure I didn't have any form of bipolar disorder,but that I have situational depression and was suffering from anxiety do to being to busy and not sleeping enough,but I did throw borderline out there and she just said it doesn't matter what label you have what is important is treating the behavior.i have that feeling of my head shorting out to,it is usally me being over stressed though , I mediate or exersize to deal with those kinds of feelings,i feel like the same person though just with very high,highs and very low lows. my mood swings are daily though,i can go through the whole spectrum of emotions, in a half an hour lol.Did you try keeping a mood journal to see what could be triggering your mood swings.

I haven't really, I tried to before but when I felt good I quit. I would say that mine is not situational, I do think I have a good life and my job is not stressful at all in reality, but I have obsessive negative thoughts that distorts things. They tend to circle around feeling alone, rejection, feeling out of place (even within my own family), and being inferior. At times these thoughts has more power over me than others. I can have excessive good or neutral thoughts when I'm in a good mood that motivates me and can have my mind running. Example, just over a month ago I had a thought I wanted to get a motorcycle, I have no license for a bike and it has been 10 years since I rid one last (that was a dirt bike). My mind raced about it obsessing over it, I went to the dealerships for a lot. Within a week of getting the idea, I took a class; a few days later I got a card in the mail that allowed me to skip the dmv test and just get my M class on my license. That same day got my license and got a bike.

Sorry long example.