Yoga

Lost8514

I do body balance which is a combination of yoga, thai chi and pilates, I like the thai chi the best, some of the balance poses are very centreing and of course the short meditation at the end. You have nothing to lose by giving it a go although it takes a few times to get the hang of it. Not everyone is super fit/skinny either so don't worry if you're not that fit.

Hi Lost8514,

I'm very familiar with yoga ( you could say that I'm a YOGI ), There is different type of yoga so to get the most benefit, you should choose a yoga style that matches your current fitness level. I started doing yoga after a major car accident, I really think that yoga helped me a lot in my recuperation (for me anyway, it was even better then my physiotherapy). It's so true that yoga help with flexibility, strength of your body, very good for the spine your balance and mentally it help you to calm yourself which is very good when your as anxious as I am. I've been to so many different class of yoga and enjoy them all, now the type of yoga that I'm doing is ashtanga yoga, usually in the comfort of my home. If you decide to take yoga classes I'm sure that you will found great benefice from it like I did both physically and mentally.

I am not too familiar with yoga, but I believe it will help with flexibility AND allow you some time to "live in the moment" and concentrate on something that is good for you. (AND, it'll get you out of the house!)

Go for it! :nod:

Edited by RatBoy

My doctors keeps suggesting I sign up for a yoga class. I have a hard time leaving the house, let alone a class- but I was wondering has anyone tried it? what was your experience?

Yoga is really excellent....even if u have a hard time leaving the house, please try it!

If you are anxious or don't like feeling on display, (like me) show up to class half hr early and put your mat down at the back of the room. Also a lot of studios have their classes in rooms with dim lighting which also helps. And of course early morning classes and late night classes, or during the day, are much less busy than the ones right after work.

I really love yoga. It's very different than the gym culture where everyone's trying to be a hardbody. I feel so great after it helps a lot. Hot classes are my fave.

• 4 weeks later...

I do pilates which is different but you might like it too, I started last January when I was very depressed and off work, and it is good for just getting you moving gently, no matter how bad I felt going in I always felt a bit better coming out and bonus of not being sweaty! I still do pilates now, I absolutely love it. Its definitely a good thing to do a taster session of something before you sign up and also maybe you could find something that is as easy as possible to get to so the journey itself doesn't feel overwhelming.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love to sign up for yoga, but I'm nervous about doing that in front of other people. I have a wii fit I do yoga on at home, but after my weight gain from antidepressants I haven't used it. This will sound stupid, but that game gives you a questionnaire to explain weight gain.

I have a condition with my feet I was born with similar to hammer toes. All of my toes bend and the yoga exercises really help.

I probably :should: continue yoga.

YouTube YouTube YouTube!

YouTube has a plethora of yoga instructional and workout videos! I've been relying on them pretty heavily lately. It's really useful because a lot of the yoga-specific channels also have beginner routines and videos that instruct you on how to do certain poses and breathing and things like that, so it might help build your confidence to eventually take a class.

Yoga is like my church. No matter how I feel going in, I feel more calm, more optimstic, and just generally good by the end of it. My current yoga instructor is great. We do chanting, positive affirmations, all kinds of poses, and end with a relaxing guided meditation.