Sign in to follow this  
PontiacAddict

Problems With School

Well, I've made it to my Junior/Senior year of school. It'll end up taking me 9 semesters so just doing 1 extra isn't too bad. I started out as pre-med and that went horribly so I took some gen eds and then was advised to try business. After this semester and 2 more (If I successfully complete them) I will have a degree in business management, general business and finance as well as a double major in accounting.

I have had a problem as long as I can remember with procrastination. I wait until the absolute last minute to do everything and become very stressed out. I can't seem to break this cycle/habit no matter what I do.

Also,, I'm just at a loss for what I want to do with my life. I feel very much the same way as people posted in the other post. How do you know what to do? What career to choose? I feel like I'm wasting a lot of money continuing on in school. Honestly, I'm not overly concerned with the paycheck as though that would be helpful, I want to do something that I love to go to work everyday and do.

I really haven't found anything that I really enjoy doing. I don't know if this is some bit of depression or if this is just me.

Any thoughts on how you found your dream job? Or how you knew it was the right degree or line of work you wanted to go into?

I like to work on cars (its just been a hobby) and I've been told to go to school for that and I have been told on the other hand not to do it because the pay is very poor considering the amount of physical labor that is involved.

On a side note: I've always been good at school (have excelled for the most part aside from a few rough patches) and school has mainly been pretty easy for me but its like sitting down and putting my mind to getting it done is the hardest thing I ever have to do, its like a weight on my shoulders that I just really don't want to do and its always hanging over me.

But at the same point it seems everything in this world is degree oriented and I don't want to be living with my parents for the rest of my life either.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated :smile:

I would say that your dream job is aligned with your interests or what you find yourself doing most of the time. Don't worry, I haven't found mine yet either!!

I would say to consider working with cars/being a mechanic. The pay is certainly reasonable, I'd say, you'd just have to enjoy physical labor and the smells of cars. You said yourself you don't care about money, and want to focus on what you love. So do that. Knowing that is half the battle.

I don't know. I'm very odd. Like when I have time off school and I can work on cars I put it off but when I go back to school (I don't hate it) but I don't enjoy it either. And it seems all I can think about if needing to work on my cars.

Its very odd almost like a deeper rooted problem with avoidance. Especially with homework, it seems I avoid everything until the absolute last minute and then try to jam it in when there really isn't time.

Is college supposed to be fun? Am I supposed to be enjoying what I am doing? Maybe its partially due to be possibly having depression but even on good days when I am motivated I don't "have fun" when I go to school. It just feels like a job, like something that I am forcing myself to do.

I'm just wondering if I can tough it out and finish my degree if it will be any better?

What is anyone else's experience with college?

I feel the say way like im just forcing myself to go I need to finish though so I can move out ,its the only thing I have left to hope for is my independence.i didn't know college was suppose to be fun to me its was always forcing myself to do it to get ahead.

I don't know that was my impression that we are supposed to be enjoying college and its supposed to be the best years of our lives or whatever. Like you see all the college kids partying and everything. I'm not really a drinker so I just don't see the point in getting blasted every weekend. To me its just a waste on money on the alcohol.

I know I almost dropped out after my first year and now I am just start my fourth year so I guess that is some accomplishment? IDK. Its just the worse feeling hating doing something (especially more so, one particular class this semester) I just can't force myself to do it and I will do literally nothing or come up with the stupidest things to avoid doing the work.

My hope is that maybe I can push through it and things will get better? I am being told oh I should have an internship or job relating to my future career and I'm bogged down enough just with trying to get through with school let alone trying to get a job or maintain it.

I never thought it would be this difficult. I never really liked high school because it was so strict and you had to do certain things or couldn't do certain things and I thought I would love being out of there but now I'm just kind of at a loss. Like we are supposed to figure out what to do with the rest of our lives and its so overwhelming.

Yea I really phoned it in for my degree. The problem is we get this message that says if you don't go to college and get a lucrative job...well, then you're just not worth the space you take up. I don't know who decided this but they're running our self-esteem. We should be allowed to do non-college work and not feel like a failure, but we just aren't.

You could always become a Buddhist though. So there's that.