How To Work With Bad Depression?

GAJ123

So I quit my job of almost 4 years a few months ago since I was just sick of being treated horribly there & having health issues. I feel I'm in no condition at all to work right now, but my Mom is trying to make me get another job. I feel stuck right now. I really do want to work, but I don't want to be put in a position where I'm going to be feeling miserable & wanting to leave every work shift. Just not sure what to do. It's like either way I'm screwed since If I don't work I have no money coming in, but if I do work I don't know if I'll be able to deal with it.

Counseling and medication. I used to be the same way as you. These will turn you into a functional person.

I know that's kind of a brief and uninformative answer, but I did a 180 with my great counselor and 40mg of Prozac everyday. Im still depressed but its not as bad and I'm able to deal with life, work and be social.

Well I guess no one here has a similar problem.

Not true. I can relate.

If you have any limitations whether physical or mental that take away your ability to work, you have to declare it. If you're just feeling down because of the douchebags, don't ignore them. Get out of sight from them, whenever you have a few minutes to yourself like lunch breaks, morning breaks, bathroom breaks, whenever you can basically. Go outside if you can. They can't tear apart someone that isn't there.

Unless you've won the lottery or something, you won't have any other choice but to go to work to make some money, and get rid of the strain the financial pressure will put on you. Working a crappy job like I do just to put some cash in my bank account is what's referred to as surviving. If you start another crappy job, you'll be surviving again. If you want to do more than just survive, you'll have to apply to something that suits your interests and personality.

It's a tough one. I was "lucky" when I was first depressed because I was at Uni. It gave me some flexibility. However over the years I've been employed I have sort of been able to manage by just taking the odd day off sick. If I have a cold or flu I drag my backside into work because I know the day will come when I just can't cope and I'll need that time.

Nearly 2 years ago I took the decision to tell my employer. I felt finally I didn't have a choice and I needed to protect myself should I become more ill in the future. I have a strong work ethic and despite my GP offering to sign me off work several times I've declined as I know actually staying in work is good for me. Having said that, declaring my illness to my employers has allowed for them to make some adjustments for me from time to time, like changing my working hours etc.

I appreciate that not all employers are so sympathetic. I do believe though staying in work, even if it's part time, can aid recovery. I'm not well, though some days are fine and dandy, but I have a reason to get out of bed every day. Sure, sometimes I'm 4 hours late, but I make it in. And I make that time up. If I don't have a job to go to then I don't have a reason to get out of bed. There be dragons...

I don't have any advice. You know whether you can physically and mentally cope with any work more than anyone else right now. If you are too ill to work don't work. If you feel that you are missing out and that some work would help then maybe looking for a part time job is a first step for you rather than throwing yourself into a full time stressful role. For the record, I'm not a lawyer, doctor, or anything else fancy. I work in a shop. It's crummy. I'd rather not be here. But we all need money. :)

Good luck!

I would say that if you can not work for a while you should. Take a break from it and foucs on you. However, if you do need to work my only advice is to just do it. Sadly, if you are having a bad day you kind of need to grin and bare it and try to get through the day. I wish I could say you can just not work on low days but you really can't call in depressed and when you're at work you need to actually do your job, no matter how much it hurts to move or breathe.

Trust me, I know how much it sucks. 12 hour shifts when you have a really low day sucks big time but honestly, you just need to do it. I think most of us has experienced this and it doesn't get easier but it must be done because the only real options you have are taking a sick day (which not everyone has), work through it, or risk getting fired or penalized for not working.

On really bad days I tend to try and think of something I'm saving up for or something little I can get to treat myself with and try to remember that the bad days are going to fund the better days. Sometimes it helps a little.

I agree with the medication and therapy route. In saying that, I admit I have been unable to work in almost 4 months because I've felt unable to cope- my longest stretch off work in 14-15 years. But this has been the worst depression I've experienced apart from when my father died 14 years ago. The combination of meds and therapy is your best shot at leading a normal life.

Thanks for all the good replies.

I have been applying to a few places, but as much as I hate to say it, deep down I kinda don't want any of them calling me back. I'm just confused on what to do in this situation. My situation is a bit complicated since I also have some muscular problem with my jaw that's been causing me awful symptoms like headaches, dizziness, ear pain, brain fog, & some other things. Just don't know if I'll be able to handle working right now, but I don't want to go too long in between jobs without working. I've been out of work 3 months now. But before that I worked 3 & a half years almost without any breaks but knew I couldn't do it anymore.

Also for the ones asking about whom treated me bad at my other job. It was the managers. Especially the manager in my department that I couldn't stand anymore. She'd make me do all the work while she just gossiped with other workers or would leave the department & never would say where she's going. The final straw for me was on my last day of work she kept mentioning things for me to do, than after that she was complaining to me about why something wasn't done. Than I just flipped out & said I quit & walked out. I tried getting unemployment for which I thought I had valid reasons for leaving, but of course I got denied since I quit even though I was treated completely horrible by my boss. The guy I spoke to from unemployment said I should have gone to someone about my concerns but I never did since I didn't want awkward moments with my manager. Nothing would have came of it, and probably would have been treated worse.

Also for the ones asking about whom treated me bad at my other job. It was the managers. Especially the manager in my department that I couldn't stand anymore. She'd make me do all the work while she just gossiped with other workers or would leave the department & never would say where she's going. The final straw for me was on my last day of work she kept mentioning things for me to do, than after that she was complaining to me about why something wasn't done. Than I just flipped out & said I quit & walked out. I tried getting unemployment for which I thought I had valid reasons for leaving, but of course I got denied since I quit even though I was treated completely horrible by my boss. The guy I spoke to from unemployment said I should have gone to someone about my concerns but I never did since I didn't want awkward moments with my manager. Nothing would have came of it, and probably would have been treated worse.

So everyone would have taken the manager's side because she's in allegiance with just about everyone, and I guess you were the one who was gonna be the whipping boy. So if it was impossible for you to get on their good (or better) side, then good job for getting away from that craphole. Anyone would have walked out.

The next time you start a new job, there's going to be more @$$holes in your way eventually. But make sure you have good working relationships somewhere within your department. Don't isolate yourself. Some bosses will apply every tactic they can come up with to get to someone. They learn what's your character, your personality, your strenghts and weaknesses, by being around you long enough. And with that information, they find a way that will get to you in ways that will bring you down. Nothing's perfect. But it's in the individual's best interests not to encouter another messed-up situation like that, because there's nothing productive to gain.

So everyone would have taken the manager's side because she's in allegiance with just about everyone, and I guess you were the one who was gonna be the whipping boy. So if it was impossible for you to get on their good (or better) side, then good job for getting away from that craphole. Anyone would have walked out.

The next time you start a new job, there's going to be more @$$holes in your way eventually. But make sure you have good working relationships somewhere within your department. Don't isolate yourself. Some bosses will apply every tactic they can come up with to get to someone. They learn what's your character, your personality, your strenghts and weaknesses, by being around you long enough. And with that information, they find a way that will get to you in ways that will bring you down. Nothing's perfect. But it's in the individual's best interests not to encouter another messed-up situation like that, because there's nothing productive to gain.

Yeah, pretty much. The managers in that place stick together while not giving a about the workers. Their the ones who get the bonuses & pay raises & other things, while the regular employees never get anything. They treat everyone like crap, when they would barely do anything. Almost every time I'd go in the break room on my break, I'd see a manager or two in there doing nothing. Or would see them in the office not doing anything, but if that was us we'd be written up or fired. Knew I had to get out of there. Wanted to leave for well over a year.

Depends on the specifics, I guess. My work involves people but also language, technology, and academics, so I can drag myself through it in a cold, mechanical fashion if I'm just not feeling the social aspects. Same for classes. I'm happy to get out of bed to learn about technology. It's the most stimulating human contact I get.