Anxiety Poll.

Fizzle

When is your anxiety worst?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. When is your anxiety worst?

• Morning
    • Evening
    • Around Midday
    • It is the same all the time or there is no pattern.
    • My anxiety occurs because of medication and therefore peaks when I take it.

Moody Blue, I have the impression that most people have it worse in the morning somehow. Duck, I have things that set me off anytime too but can always rely on the evening being bad. There does seem to be a pattern there.

Edited by Fizzle

Morning is definitely the worst for me. Some mornings I'm overcome with a feeling of impending doom and become physically ill before I even get out of bed. Often I stay sick until I get to work. As the morning progresses, and I realize that the sky isn't falling, I can relax a little and get on with my day. Certain thinks trigger anxiety during the day also, but it is usually fairly mild and I can cope with it. But early morning anxiety can be pure hell sometimes.

Thanks for sharing everyone. Anyone that gets it at night have any idea why?

No idea fizzle, its a question i wish i could answer. Sometimes im even woken by it while im sleeping. Its quite annoying. Maybe ill learn why when i visit with my psychiatrist this week.

This is a tough one because it really depends. I can see why mornings would suck more for folks because of work or just the thought of everything that needs to be done. Same can be said for late nights when we begin thinking about the next day. But I selected "it is the same all the time" because my baseline is consistently higher to begin with.. it's related to social matters and self-esteem.

Thanks everyone. Starting to get some idea of what it isn't but am still confused about what it is.

It isn't about contemplating tomorrows potential problems or even tomorrows business. It can't be as I am just as bad if not worse on the weekend and I seldom ruminate about the next day events these days. I am also just as likely to work at 3 am as 10 am. I considered it being a backlash from being around people and general stimulation during the day (I used to have a mass of this) and although that is possible, again, on the weekends I don't and yet still have it.

Very obviously I am afraid of sleep (hypervigilance) and nightmares and nighttime can bring things up, but something else seems to be happening on top of that. Earlier and general if that makes sense. I have PTSD so am always in flight and flight and edgy/anxious and have episodes where I am triggered but there still seems to be a general wave of anxiety in the evenings other than that.

Edited by Fizzle

Hmm. It took me a long time to figure mine out. When I look back on it I think it would have helped to keep a mood journal. Write down have I feel a few times a day and what's going on at those times. I'm not good at remembering to journal though, lol.

s other than that.

Thanks candy. Maybe I do need to start journalling again. It helped a lot before and I did it every day for years. Exhausting! A mood journal is probably what is needed.

Hmm. It took me a long time to figure mine out. When I look back on it I think it would have helped to keep a mood journal. Write down have I feel a few times a day and what's going on at those times. I'm not good at remembering to journal though, lol.

s other than that.

Thanks candy. Maybe I do need to start journalling again. It helped a lot before and I did it every day for years. Exhausting! A mood journal is probably what is needed.

Umm. My name's not candy.

Arhgggg! Sorry Teddy. I know you. It was just a typo. I write entirely wrong words all the time.

Thanks for sharing everyone. Anyone that gets it at night have any idea why?

For me it's because during day at work I'm busy and occupied, in evenings I'm alone ( I live alone) and I start brewing thoughts and think of all the things I have to do etc and I stress myself out thinking about all the cleaning I want to do, errands I need to run, bills to pay, etc, also it's when I gave the urge to pick at my skin and binge eat junk so I'm always fighting those internal battles in the evening...

Plus I get very anxious over sleep....I have. Hard time falling and staying asleep and I get anxious about it because if I don't get enough sleep it's really hard on me.

I put evening, because I tend to get most anxious when there is something planned for the next day (especially in the morning). I will agonize over whether or not I'll be able to wake up in time to make it to my appointment/meeting/etc., what will I wear, will there be traffic, what route will I take... that sort of thing. Sunday night is the worst because I get anxious for the entire work week.

My anxiety is just directly related to stress and anticipating stressful situations, which in order are: 1) work (and financial insecurity); 2) all other problems and hassles of life; and 3) family relationships.

So, it is all the time, but, it is unquestionably worst in the morning. Every morning for the past 6-7 years, getting out of bed has felt like some kind of bad dream, where I am caught in a zombie world, unable to wake, and just wanting to curl up and escape and sleep forever.

My anxiety is just directly related to stress and anticipating stressful situations, which in order are: 1) work (and financial insecurity); 2) all other problems and hassles of life; and 3) family relationships.

So, it is all the time, but, it is unquestionably worst in the morning. Every morning for the past 6-7 years, getting out of bed has felt like some kind of bad dream, where I am caught in a zombie world, unable to wake, and just wanting to curl up and escape and sleep forever.

I've read through some of your posts and know you are trying real hard. Anxiety is so terrible, I've had it for most of my life. If I didn't have to take medications to control it, I would be glad, but I've tried just about everything else and nothing worked. I don't know if you have or want to start medication therapy, but it may be worth a shot. Living everyday without relief from this disorder takes the joy out of life. The medications I finally have found to work the best for me are Sertraline and Buspar, but I have a feeling the Buspar is the one controlling my anxiety the most. I hope you find some way to get yours under control. You live in a great city. If I lived in DC, I would be in all of those great museums with any free time that I had.