After 2 Weeks On Zoloft - Observations

LegoLady

I just started Zoloft at 25 mg a little over 2 weeks ago. Here are my observations for anyone who may be starting -

- I had no nausea or highly unpleasant physical side effects. I do feel that I am sweating and getting dehydrated at a faster rate than normal, and I have had a little trouble sleeping, but it hasn't been extreme or anything.

- 1 week after starting, I experienced HELLISH depression with crying spells and anxiety for about 2 days. I wasn't feeling good physically those days and it was incredibly hot where I live, so that probably contributed to feeling awful, but dear lord it was unpleasant.

- After that weekend of horrible depression, I started feeling better and I have been mostly improving since then. I had a cold this weekend and felt a little more down than during the week, but in general I am feeling less hopeless than I was before I started taking it.

I have another doctor's appointment on Thursday, and I think they will probably up my dosage to 50mg then. So far I think what I have experienced starting out seems consistent with what a lot of people report when they start, getting the wave of anxiety and depression before it starts to get better.

Yesterday, even though I didn't feel great physically because of my cold, I managed to shower, brush my teeth, go grocery shopping, play with my cats, do my laundry (including the sheets!) and put everything away, AND clean my bathroom counter. That is nothing short of miraculous for me. I haven't had a day that productive in over 3 months. It wasn't easy and it did tire me out, but I was still able to do it.

HI LegoLady,

Some of what you experienced are side effects Zoloft is famous for. I'm glad you're feeling a little better. If you and your doctor do decide to increase your dose, be prepared for possible increased anxiety and other possible side effects. I hope you find relief with this medication, I surely have.

I did 2 weeks at 25 mg and now on week 2 at 50 mg. I didn't notice any side effects at all when I increased to 50 mg. I think it's benefiting me in some ways though. I feel more motivated and have been making progress in getting caught up at work. I've also noticed I've been laughing and smiling more; though sometimes I laugh for no reason.

I got the dry mouth and dehydration again for a while, but it seems to be improving. Unfortunately my mood has been pretty down the last few days, and my energy level is very low. I just want to be asleep or doing nothing all the time. I was pretty productive last week by comparison. I guess I just have to deal with the ups and downs for a while. I hope the medication levels that out soon. It's frustrating feeling better for short periods and feeling hopeful and then getting depressed all over again.

I got the dry mouth and dehydration again for a while, but it seems to be improving. Unfortunately my mood has been pretty down the last few days, and my energy level is very low. I just want to be asleep or doing nothing all the time. I was pretty productive last week by comparison. I guess I just have to deal with the ups and downs for a while. I hope the medication levels that out soon. It's frustrating feeling better for short periods and feeling hopeful and then getting depressed all over again.

Give it more time. The fact that you've had some good days is very encouraging.

Thanks for the replies btw. I'm feeling a little better today.

I just want to add because it's kind of weird - my cat is on anti-depressants also. A lot has changed the last few months and he is having trouble adjusting and is acting out because he is upset. They seem to calm him down, but I'm kind of worried that he is sleeping too much. Maybe it will take time with him just like it takes time in humans. So yeah, me and my cat... adventures in medication.