Sign in to follow this  
CoolCat7

N-Acetylcysteine, Or N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine, Also Known As Nac

Just wondering if anyone has tried this supplement? According to my psychiatrist there are solid scientific studies showing this as having good results treating bipolar depression. It may also treat unipolar depression but the studies haven't been done. The study dose was (I believe - can be googled) about 2,000 mg/day. It is also a powerful antioxidant so has other benefits.

I would like to try it but it's quite expensive in the health-food stores I've found it in, and it isn't covered by my drug plan. If I do try it, I will post the results here.

I've tried a lot of supplements but not that one...I will have to check into it. Everything I have tried I think I've bought on Amazon, did you check if they have it there? I would like to do a little research myself as after a long period of doing well, I find myself slipping downhill a little lately and would love to find a natural pick me up (walking my dog and cats, yes my cats, I have a pet stroller...lol, for hours in the sunshine just doesn't do it anymore). The one supplement I do keep coming back to is L-theanine, mainly because when I run out, I always seem to feel more down. It may just be in my head but if it works, it's worth the $10 a month or so (I use only Calm-plex).

Please keep me posted if you do try this supplement and how it works for you...good luck!

On 9/5/2014 at 8:29 AM, CoolCat7 said:

I will definitely keep you posted. I may start a trial of it in a few weeks after my increased dose of Abilify has a chance to work. Just so I don't confuse the effects of each.

any luck?