Have You Told Your Boss About Your Mental Illness?

LegoLady

I am going to be telling my boss that I'm going through some "health issues". He's a really nice guy and I think it will help to get me some time off for doctor's appointments and stuff. But I don't think I am going to tell him that it is specifically mental health-related. I don't know if it would be a good idea. I'm sure he wouldn't tell anyone else and that he would be understanding, but I'm trying to err on the side of caution.

Have you told your boss about your mental health problem? What happened? I'm curious.

It seems a lot of people on this site have. I have never! It's probably something that needs to be carefully considered and depends a lot on the environment one is in. For some there will be legal protection for their job and potential help provided if they reveal it to the company. That doesn't mean there won't be difficulties as a result regardless of course. For some.

Well done for asking for help from your boss. Let us know how it goes.

Edited by Fizzle

I told my last boss and it went really well. I didn't have much choice though as I had my emotional breakdown in one of our Board meetings...

She was very understanding and encouraged me in my recovery.

I have a similar concern. I'm job hunting right so I go to interviews. There's a lot of gaps in my recent work history due to my depression. On the applications, where they ask what the reason is for leaving a certain job I have to put 'medical' for the recent jobs. Invariably during an interview I'm asked if I care to expound on that. I say no. I know this hurts my chances even though it's not supposed to. I think they see me as untrustworthy cause I'm hiding something from them.

If and when I get a job I'm concerned about letting my boss know. I guess I should worry about that once I get a job tho.

I never told, but im sure they had their suspicions.

Its hard to hide when you break down crying for the silliest things.

I'm very worried about this myself. Sometimes a thought will suddenly pop into my head that pulls down into a deep depression and I get very sullen, even tearful. What happens if I'm at work when this happens? It's not something I can hide or fake my way out of.

I never told, but im sure they had their suspicions.

Its hard to hide when you break down crying for the silliest things.

I'm very worried about this myself. Sometimes a thought will suddenly pop into my head that pulls down into a deep depression and I get very sullen, even tearful. What happens if I'm at work when this happens? It's not something I can hide or fake my way out of.

Its pretty embarrassing and feels uncontrollable when you have an emotional breakdown in front of other people, especially coworkers. I really dont have any advice on how to stop it from happening. I know depression is very common though. Theres so many others including ourselves dealing with this and probably people in your workplace going through it aswell. I feel by confronting your fears it makes you a stronger person and sometimes makes it easier to cope with.

Wishing you the best.

*hugs*

I told my last boss and it went really well. I didn't have much choice though as I had my emotional breakdown in one of our Board meetings...

She was very understanding and encouraged me in my recovery.

I worked in retail and the same thing happened to me. They were very good to me at that store. Outside of that, I have never told a boss.

I've been tempted to at my current job. In the past I was terrified to tell anyone, let alone people at work. But my depression has cost me multiple jobs, every career I've had since graduating college has been lost due to depression. At this point, I'd rather them know. It's been almost therapeutic to tell people.

I just went through having to make this decision. I decided to just tell my boss that I needed shorter hours because of some medical issues I was trying to deal with as a result of an old accident. I think it's best to keep quiet, at least for now. It's really none of their business to know the EXACT details — that's your private life. It could also cause some legal issues or wariness on the part of your boss and other coworkers. <3