Sign in to follow this  
Fizzle

Which Of These Are Major Contributors To Your Depression?

Which of these are major contributors to your depression?  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these are major contributors to your depression?

• Social Phobia & Difficulties or Isolation
    • Misanthropy
    • Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
    • OCD
    • Personality Disorder
    • Bipolar
    • Schizophrenia or psychosis
    • Eating Disorders
    • Physiological illness or illnesses
    • Chronic Pain
    • Other Mental Health Issues Not Mentioned
    • Continued Toxic, Bullying or Abusive Environment
    • Poverty or Financial Difficulties
    • Work Or Career Difficulties
    • Anxiety Disorders Or Phobias
    • Dysfunctional Or Unsupported Family.
    • Attachment Disorder
    • Insomnia
    • Psychological Trauma
    • Dissociative Identity Disorder or DDNOS

Elicia: I have a fear of driving as well. Possibly for other reasons though. I have Tourettes and I space out a lot. Don't even have my permit yet. I have studied but need to go take it. I'm curious to hear your reason. You don't have to share. I'm just interested.

Continued Toxic, Bullying or Abusive Environment

That one comes the closest, though the "toxic environment" would be more clearly described in my case as "toxic thinking"

Depressive episodes for me are largely endogenous - they arise from within and are stoked by malevolent thought patterns. I could theorize for hours over how that came to be, but an intellectual understanding of the "why" I sometimes get thrown into the wringer doesn't really help all that much except may to give some ideas on how to prevent that from happening in the first place.

Social Phobia or Isolation

This is a big contributor, I would say that self isolation is part of the cause and part of the problem. Isolating myself from others allows me to become self-absorbed - my mind has opportunity to putter about on its own with little outside distraction. When the negative thought patterns start rolling I choose isolation as a mean of containment - I don't want others to be around my downer self. It's part selfless sacrifice, part shame driven fear of "discovery".

A couple not on the list worth mention for my case:

- Predisposition

I believe that I am mentally predisposed to depressive episodes. There's just something about my brain chemistry that allows for depression to kick in sooner and with more fury. That being said, I would also argue that in much the same way a deer path is formed from the continued pacing of animals up and down it, so have the neural pathways in my mind been entrenched by repeated and sometimes severe recurrences. The more often I fall into depressive episodes, the more likely I am to fall into future ones.

- Hyper-sensitivity

This one can be considered a subset of 'Predisposition'. I'm a highly sensitive person. By that I mean that my senses process information more intensely than your average person. Predominant male gender roles have likely made this an even more challenging state of being since sensitivity is not considered a "manly" trait and thus causes a sense of inadequacy. I don't feel like a fully functional and contributory member of the "pack". Feeling outcast surely does contribute to depression.

Thanks for posting this poll. It helps to layout perspectives from different angles.

Definitely isolation, Horrible environment from school, & at home at times. As well as Pure O OCD intrusive thoughts. Also low self-esteem. Now I can add this TMJ/Ear/Jaw issue to my list of problems. I feel I could have definitely avoided some of my problems which is a shame, but I can't change the past so I guess it is what it is.

I think mine mostly boils down to my environment, isolation, and physical problems with my body. I was born with a major disadvantage I can't exactly put my finger on. Ever since I was in kindergarten I was always the one singled out and thrown away. I had to fight for what was natural to other kids, even the "friends" I had looked down on me. I mean the teachers even picked on me. I was also never able to do anything, my parents were always trying to fit me into some mold. They had to control everything and so at some point I had to live my life in secret and even that wasn't much. I grew up with major frustration and jealousy. For some reason everyone was against me. I was always mocked and met with constant hostility and I still am. I don't even know why cause I was never even given a chance. So forced into a life of playing one man army it's starting to break me. I'm completely falling apart. Sick of it all to the core and it's like there's no end in sight.

- Hyper-sensitivity

This one can be considered a subset of 'Predisposition'. I'm a highly sensitive person. By that I mean that my senses process information more intensely than your average person. Predominant male gender roles have likely made this an even more challenging state of being since sensitivity is not considered a "manly" trait and thus causes a sense of inadequacy. I don't feel like a fully functional and contributory member of the "pack". Feeling outcast surely does contribute to depression.

Thanks for posting this poll. It helps to layout perspectives from different angles.

Yes I also always struggled with this, it's part of the reason why I'm such an outcast. I'm easily stressed out. I found out upon observing the way most people (usually males) act around each other I can't mentally handle. they're to loud, crazy, and insensitive (or even hyper emotional) for me to handle being around. It's hard to explain what it feels like, it's like it mentally aggitates something that causes me to get very angry and avoidant. I just need to get up and go away for a while cause it makes my blood boil.

Elicia: I have a fear of driving as well. Possibly for other reasons though. I have Tourettes and I space out a lot. Don't even have my permit yet. I have studied but need to go take it. I'm curious to hear your reason. You don't have to share. I'm just interested.

Im not really sure where my anxiety came from with the driving thing. I got my drivers license at 18 but even after getting my license i wasnt comfortable driving and had anxiety everytime i got behind the wheel.

Then one day i had an anxiety attack while driving and got into a accident, it was a small accident but it still scared me pretty bad and since then i avoid driving at all costs.

The few times i have drove, its always been with my husband sitting next to me and never on highways or busy roads. I notice that my anxiety gets worse when i come to a light, im afraid i wont slow down enough in time if it turns red.

Its very draining for me to even drive down the street to pick my daughter up from school and i dont even have to get on any main roads to do that.

For me, the largest one would be isolation and attachment. Isolation I find easier to adjust myself so I would be out of the house and in public. The attachment is where I'm at a complete loss. Not sure how to get over that, even with therapy.

Continued Toxic, Bullying or Abusive Environment

- Hyper-sensitivity

Likewise, I've always been a social outcast as a HSP. I was bullied at school from grade one till the end. Even as a girl, you have to be tough these days. I've always tried superhard to be like everyone else and of course I always pushed myself over the limit. What is enjoyable for the majority of people, like listening to loud music, running after excitement, travelling, etc. is pure torture for me. And it is obviously very uncool to go to a disco wearing ear plugs as a teen. No wonder, I've always thought something was wrong with me. I'm sure, this feeling of being inferior has greatly contributed to my continuous depressive episodes. Nobody told me that it was OK to be different.

In addition, I come from a dysfunctional family. I played the role of an emotional caretaker for my dad since my parents' divorce, since it was him who got hurt. My mom was very self-absorbed at that time. She and her new partner bullied me, too.

Then perfectionism played a big role. I've always tried very hard to be perfect in everything and to please everyone to be liked.

I find it hard to tell what contributed to my depression and what was caused by it. For example, I think my Anorexia was actually caused by my depression, since in a way I wanted to be so thin that I would cease to exist. And being depressed made me socially awkward and withdrawn and definately not fun to be around.

But what came first, the hen or the egg?

I checked off more of these than I would have thought.

I chose:

Social Phobia & Difficulties & Isolation, Physiological Illnesses, Chronic Pain, Other Mental Health Issues (ADHD), Continued Toxic, Bullying or Abusive Environment, Financial Difficulties, Work or Career Difficulties, Anxiety Disorders, Phobias, Insomnia and Phychological Trauma.

With that list it's no wonder I or anyone else is depressed and/or anxious.

For me a lot of this has been going on since childhood and never been resolved. Now I'm at a point in my life where everything has just piled up and it became to much to handle. My defense mechansims and coping skills weren't enough on their own anymore.

That's my main goal in therapy. To get more coping skills and better coping skills and defense mechanisms.

There are quite a few more I thought of but no more space for questions!

1. Present stressor such as: relationship breakup, mental or physical illness of a family member, loss of someone close/grief.

2. Alcohol, drug, sex, work, gambling addiction (could have gone with eating disorders).

3. The whole range of unhelpful cognitive patterns or lack of certain skills such as: perfectionism, black and white thinking, catastrophising (magnifying & minimising), over-generalization, mindreading and fortune telling, filtering, personalization, shoulding, emotional reasoning, labeling and mislabeling, blaming, disqualifying the positive, thinking we should always be happy, inability to regulate & tolerate emotional states etc etc http://psychology.tools/download-therapy-worksheets.html http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/emotion_regulation.html

I definitely fall into the cognitive category. I would say I engage in most of them. I had a father who criticized a lot so I became a perfectionist to try to please him but even my wins, the times I thought I did well in his eyes I could have gotten hurt so I started to fear making any sort of attempts at life. It definitely made me very self conscious. He also yelled a lot which frightened me so now when I get angy I fear myself. This said, my father was never physical and he really did have my best interests at heart. Quite frankly he raised me how he was raised so he thought he was helping and never learned how to properly cope with life so I can't expect him to be able to teach me so I harbor no ill will but it did mess my head up pretty good. But I am starting to sort it out which feels pretty good trying to stop the negative coping responses and it's helping. Old habits die hard but I'm making progress. Great poll

I think I can answer this now. Of course I have no idea what really caused my depression. I was not depressed persay as a child or teen.

Childhood:

Pros: I was loved. I was cared for. Lots of times were very good. Lots of joy.

Cons: psychological manipulation(I suppose some would term it abuse), overuse of corporal punishment that was too much at times, never good enough, never smart enough, didn't really do things "right", learned guilt

Teens: Overweight some, WAY strict parents, ED (very late teens), more learned guilt

Adult: Perfectionism in high gear, ED, SH (only twice), probably PTSD (um basically an assault of sorts by a doctor), multiple surgeries (major abdominal--all gyn related--same type of doctor from said assault--so nice, right?), still sucky learned guilt

Current stressors: surgery, death of a family member, suicide of an acquaintance friend that they somewhat blamed me for (not telling them she had an ED)...and a few others I cant really say here....oh gosh...and anxiety.

Edited by lp44

I chose misanthropy, OCD, and anxiety disorders or phobias.

I live "in my head" too much and I spend a lot of time zoned out on the computer. If I try to go out and participate in "real life" the scary intrusive thoughts come in and everything seems "incredibly loud and extremely close", to borrow a book title.

I hate when I'm in a public situation and I feel the need to perform an OCD ritual but there's people around so I feel like I can't do it. The anxiety is almost unbearable.

I exhaust myself with overthinking.

My top contributors would be

--Isolation and social phobia/difficulties

--Self loathing and feelings of worthlessness from bullying and guilt as a child

--History of Alcohol abuse

--Some body image issues from when I used to be severely overweight

--Pressure at work and feelings of inferiority

work I feel is the number one contributing factor to my depression. Being at a job that you desperately don't want to be at but realizing that you are middle aged, the economy is bad, decent paying jobs are scarce and I am stuck. I would also say that suffering fools, as they say, is another major contributor-people really bring me down sometimes(most of the time)

I also have social difficulties.I find it really hard to talk to other people and make friends.I guess what also contributes to my illness is me not letting me feelings out.I keep everything to myself,that`s when my SI comes out.I suppose it helps me release those feelings.