Which Of These Are Major Contributors To Your Depression?

Fizzle

Which of these are major contributors to your depression?  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these are major contributors to your depression?

• Social Phobia & Difficulties or Isolation
    • Misanthropy
    • Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
    • OCD
    • Personality Disorder
    • Bipolar
    • Schizophrenia or psychosis
    • Eating Disorders
    • Physiological illness or illnesses
    • Chronic Pain
    • Other Mental Health Issues Not Mentioned
    • Continued Toxic, Bullying or Abusive Environment
    • Poverty or Financial Difficulties
    • Work Or Career Difficulties
    • Anxiety Disorders Or Phobias
    • Dysfunctional Or Unsupported Family.
    • Attachment Disorder
    • Insomnia
    • Psychological Trauma
    • Dissociative Identity Disorder or DDNOS

Did some editing as I ran out of questions so I hope I never messed anyone around. Best check if you have chosen the right points. Sorry. Soulsurvivor, I added that as it was an important one.

I used to have way more but I either don't have them anymore or they are no longer a major contributor now.

Edited by Fizzle

Did some editing as I ran out of questions so I hope I never messed anyone around. Best check if you have chosen the right points. Sorry. Soulsurvivor, I added that as it was an important one.

I used to have way more but I either don't have them anymore or they are no longer a major contributor now.

oh that's ok, I just pick "other" for that :smile::smile:

Social isolation is a big factor, because I'm exposed to people without really being able to develop a support network. I still attract a lot of emotional vampires no matter how much I "toughen up" and struggle to make lasting connections.

Edited by Licorice

I think the reason why I am struggling now is because I hit 30 and realized that many people my age have gotten married, started a family, and are worlds ahead of me socially. I am still tentative around people and have not been on my first date or have been kissed. Not to mention that I have very little self esteem. Which stems from being severely bullied as a child and teen.

I am one step closer to being a bitter old maid...

I didn't vote because, it could be a few of the items listed, but what truly triggered my depression is how I respond to life event.

I'm reading a book someone suggested in the forum, and i can't remember who!, and it really touched the problem. It's how I see, focus and deal with life in general. This is such an eye opener for me because I thought that externals factors were mostly responsible, not me.

But I know sometimes illness can give you depression and other out of control factors. For me it is all under my control, if I make the change. I'm almost finish and i'm going to read it again. Too much informations and exercise to do.

I didn't vote because, it could be a few of the items listed, but what truly triggered my depression is how I respond to life event.

Valgomoms, unhelpful thought patterns are a huge major cause of depression and anxiety and one of the reasons some people cope with life events and others struggle. See if you can get some CBT therapy .

Edited by Fizzle

Great poll.

I'd also add especially for any members who are newer to depression

- if you haven't seen a doctor yet or are in the early stages tell your doctor about these other factors so they get a full picture

- these factors feed each other. Insomnia contributes to my depression, but when I'm depressed one of my first signs is lack of sleep.

- it's important to keep an eye on these other things that may be happening in your life. It's very hard with depression, but if you get new symptoms remember to get them checked out by a doctor to rule out physical illness or so it can be treated. If you have a major life event when you already have depression, such as a problem at work try to talk to someone just as extra support, or come here to just chat about what's happening

- see whether there is help out there for any of these issues. For example in the UK the Citizens Advice Bureau could help you find out if there are any benefits you could get, or help you complete forms if you are too ill to work. I'm sure there are organisations like this in other countries.

- Depression is Not Your Fault. Depression is an illness. Even if you are in an abusive relationship or your career isn't as you want and these are are factors in your depression that doesn't mean you brought the depression on yourself. You didn't. I repeat depression is not your fault.

You didn't mention relationship issues.

This feels like the last straw on top of many things to me, what actually feels like an entire lifetime of struggle, due to an alcoholic father. I've always wondered why my extended family responded differently to me than to my siblings, and in the last ten years, have finally realized my mother thinks I'm a liar--and she tells everyone what she thinks, such that these people have been hearing this about me my entire life. As I pieced memories together, I realized it almost without a doubt stems from my father doing inappropriate things when I was very young, and her choosing to call me a liar and treat me as a trouble maker rather than face the truth.

In the last ten years, I've cut ties with my family because of their toxicity, their blatant disrespect of me, their rages and insults directed at me, etc. As a result, there's trouble with my children who aren't happy with me (they rarely see these things), more distance from my relatives who have no clue what has gone on in this family. I've never made friends easily, probably in part due to the way my mother treated me and left me feeling I didn't deserve any better. I discovered my husband was cheating and lying, and divorced him. He still goes to visit my family, and they have not even asked if I'm doing okay--their response has been an ugly letter criticizing me for filing, and my mother telling people in my community that I 'imagine things.'

I recently ended a two year relationship. It's been incredibly stressful because he wouldn't let go. He spent four months or more getting angry, refusing to listen to how any of the issues left me feeling. I finally blocked him, but had to unblock him as we work together and had to communicate for that. That I have to continue seeing him is hard. I'm fighting anger at the reasons that caused me to end it, at the feeling he wasn't entirely honest with me, at the fact that I made weak attempts to break up with him three times before that, and he 'wouldn't let me go.' I'm angry at myself that I didn't take a stronger stand, back when the break would have been much easier emotionally.

I feel incredibly alone, because we were friends for years before we started seeing each other, and I've lost my best friend who knew me better than anyone, who I trusted and felt safe with.

I've been going out to dinner with someone else, and I enjoy his company, but I want to pull back, and am feeling guilty and afraid of hurting him, and it's causing me a lot of stress, along with anger at the other person.

I'm frustrated that the last time I got the courage to talk to the doctor about depression, she had me take a ten item quiz and told me I'm not depressed enough for help. I went to a counselor for six months, did EMDR, and was declared healthy.

So I'm feeling incredibly alone, isolated, overburdened, criticized, unable to act for fear of hurting others and beginning to resent that I never seem to get what I want (even while recognizing sometimes it's because I don't speak up for myself...and recognizing my family drilled it into my head to be this way)...and hating that I have days where I'm fighting self pity. But I just see no end in sight, ever. My family will never change. I see no way of getting away from this other person except to quit something I love very much.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll feel better. But most days, I just feel so stuck, hemmed in between rocks and hard places any which way I look.

There are quite a few more I thought of but no more space for questions!

1. Present stressor such as: relationship breakup, mental or physical illness of a family member, loss of someone close/grief.

2. Alcohol, drug, sex, work, gambling addiction (could have gone with eating disorders).

3. The whole range of unhelpful cognitive patterns or lack of certain skills such as: perfectionism, black and white thinking, catastrophising (magnifying & minimising), over-generalization, mindreading and fortune telling, filtering, personalization, shoulding, emotional reasoning, labeling and mislabeling, blaming, disqualifying the positive, thinking we should always be happy, inability to regulate & tolerate emotional states etc etc http://psychology.tools/download-therapy-worksheets.html http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/emotion_regulation.html

• 3 weeks later...

Duck, when I joined I was a bit shocked at how many people on here seem to have big issues with this. I haven't seen that on other mental health forums so am interested in how it might effect depression. I have pervasive lack of trust and fear but not misanthropy.

Edited by Fizzle

Being born into a dysfunctional family, the products of two parents who were the black sheep of their respective families. Being constantly told that I was ugly, stupid, slow, and worthless like my parents. Living in an environment of racism, colorism, sexism, poverty. Dealing with the humiliation of being the underdog and not being able to prove to others that I am not a failure.

My answers: social phobias and difficulties or isolation, poverty or financial difficulties, dysfunctional or unsupported family.

I would also add: cognitive traps, negative self-talk, and a basic inability to accept compliments or what good I do.

I am working to improve these and making very small progress, but progress it is. My full time job at the library is the best I can do for having a job that does not overly tax my social anxieties while relieving the second problem of poverty or financial difficulties. As far as the dysfunctional or unsupported family, this only applies to my spouse really. My other family are too far away to be of daily help, but they do respect my struggle and try to encourage and understand me as best they can. My spouse has great difficulty in believing that depression is a 'real' illness, and his dysfunction is basically to leave me to deal with things completely on my own without help. So I guess I really should not have answered Dysfunctional and unsupported family, now that I think about it.

• 1 month later...

Well, a major factor for me is that everything I touch quickly turns to sh!t. Any decision I make will invariably be the wrong one. My life is governed by Murphy's Law, and all of its corollaries.

Edited by JD4010