L-theanine And Sam-e

Hi all. Well I have been researching Sam-E and L-theanine (suntheanine) and have heard very good things about both of them being used for anxiety and depression. I would just like to hear from any of you who have used one or both of these supplements and if you think they are helpful for depression/anxiety, though I mainly just need something to help with anxiety. Also, dosages and brands would be helpful too! Thanks everyone!!

I've used sam-e for a little bit yeah my mood improved alot only draw backs were took me a wile to find out the right dose. I was even taking with my AD's at the time.

Sam-e is pretty expensive if you have biplor ,or promblems with mania it may cuase that promblem just a friendly warning to others that read this.

For anixty Try vallerian Root it's the herbal form of valum love that stuff helps me sleep best to take it at night.

Kava kava is another herb for aniexty

Vitamin B is also good for mental promblems such as dpression/panic

Omega 3 is also very good for most mental promblems as well.

I've also played around with 5htp my aniexty decressed however though it knockd me out to next year it's another one where you have really play around to find the right dose.

Edited by mccoffee

Thanks for the info McCoffee. I tried l-theanine 100 mg last night and it seemed to help a little with anxiety. I think I will try 200 mg tonight. By the way, cute picture!

I've used sam-e for a little bit yeah my mood improved alot only draw backs were took me a wile to find out the right dose. I was even taking with my AD's at the time.

Sam-e is pretty expensive if you have biplor ,or promblems with mania it may cuase that promblem just a friendly warning to others that read this.

For anixty Try vallerian Root it's the herbal form of valum love that stuff helps me sleep best to take it at night.

Kava kava is another herb for aniexty

Vitamin B is also good for mental promblems such as dpression/panic

Omega 3 is also very good for most mental promblems as well.

I've also played around with 5htp my aniexty decressed however though it knockd me out to next year it's another one where you have really play around to find the right dose.

if you do take sam-e.. take it in the morning! it is a bit of a stimulant.. so im not sure how good it will work for anxiety, although it is good for depression. i think i might have already said all of this in your last thread.. but good luck with this!! did i mention java java?? it is good an relieving anxiety too! i think im going to go buy chamomile tea at the store today (if it ever stops pouring frigid rain!)

Thanks everyone. Well I took the 200 mg of l-theanine last night. It did seem to help relax me some. Hope it continues to work

if you do take sam-e.. take it in the morning! it is a bit of a stimulant.. so im not sure how good it will work for anxiety, although it is good for depression. i think i might have already said all of this in your last thread.. but good luck with this!! did i mention java java?? it is good an relieving anxiety too! i think im going to go buy chamomile tea at the store today (if it ever stops pouring frigid rain!)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just bought some Sam-e. How long do I have to take it for it to begin working?

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all. Well I have been researching Sam-E and L-theanine (suntheanine) and have heard very good things about both of them being used for anxiety and depression. I would just like to hear from any of you who have used one or both of these supplements and if you think they are helpful for depression/anxiety, though I mainly just need something to help with anxiety. Also, dosages and brands would be helpful too! Thanks everyone!!

From what I've read L-theanine has the advantage of counteracting the anxiety and jitters produced by drinking coffee or caffeine products without making affecting the increased alertness that you get from it. It's non-drowsy too.

• 1 year later...

I've used SAM-e off an on for the last year with generally good results. In my opinion it can be especially useful for creative work. I haven't ever noticed much of an effect with respect to social anxiety, aside from the heightened ease that comes with being in a good mood. As a writer, I will sometimes take it first thing in the morning and then wait about 30-60 mins. to eat anything, and then only sparingly. This ensures maximum bioavailability. It also has a mild appetite suppressing effect which makes light eating easier in the morning. Subjectively it is comparable to a mild rush of euphoria and excitement, a way to access inspiration on demand as a writer. This may due to its dopamine effects in addition to serotonin. I generally experience an increase in energy and, strangely for an antidepressant, an increase in libido. It has also been found to resensitize the dopamine-rich nucleus accumbens which is important for deriving pleasure.

Although I tried several brands in hopes of saving money, Nature Made has been the only consistently good brand for me. And then I usually need at least 800 mg. for a significant effect. 1200-1600 mg. seems optimal, and I once wrote 2/3 of a screenplay in the course of a week at this dosage level. It can be cost-prohibitive though, which is why I tend to use it intermittently. The only negative side-effect I've experienced is a slight increase in irritability when it wears off in the afternoon, similar to a caffeine comedown. I write about nutrition and creativity on my website, and you can read more about SAM-e research and personal experiences with it here.