Dna Testing To Choose The Right Antidepressant

HopeButterfly

I want to share this with the community. I had DNA testing (cheek swab) to determine which is the right antidepressant for me. This is a pretty new test.

AssureRx Health offers GeneSightRx to do this. Google any of those words.

For a great article google: "Genetic testing to choose the right antidepressant." DNA testing is available in the US. I'm not sure about other countries. Fortunately, my insurance covered the test.

I get the results of my test this Wednesday when I see my doctor and will share them in this thread. I don't know what to expect.

Best wishes.

The test costs over $3,000 but is covered. It was interesting to say the least. The results came back that the medication I'm on is not the best for me. I'd do better on several others which they named. We will probably be changing. But since I just made a change a couple months ago, she wants to give my brain a rest. I want to feel as good as I can, but it'll take lots of time.

This is really awesome, I am interested in this as well. I am going to ask my psychiatrist about this just to see if it is covered by OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan). Cause it would be interesting to find out if I am on the right medications because she could use this as a tool to see also I believe if it would be okay to ween you off of other medications that are not really useful! Although I am happy on the medication I am on (very happy) I often wonder why I have to be on 5 different medications.

I am happy you found out your results! :)

AssureRx Health has created a variety of patient assistance programs to make GeneSight accessible regardless of income level.

Phone: 866-7579204

e-mail: support@assurexhealth.com

Any questions or concerns about this test call 888-496-2391 from 8:00am - 8:00pm Eastern.

Thanks for this information! I studied genetics and have researched genes associated with depression a few years ago. I had no idea they were already doing testing like this.

There are also known genes that determine how fast a drug is metabolized that researchers are looking into for better tailored dosages.

Edited by Blin

Yesterday my husband had the DNA test at his doctor's appointment to determine which are the best medications for him. His meds aren't working well anymore. So we'll both be changing. I hope we don't experience severe side effects during the cross titration.

The DNA test takes about 3 - 4 weeks to get the results back. I have my results, but she wanted me to check with my insurance company to see if they cover the suggested medications. They do. She also wanted to give my brain a rest since I just switched 3 months ago from Effexor to Zoloft. Neither of these medications were recommended for me by the test. I want to feel as well as I can.

Best to all

• 2 weeks later...

Today I'm to begin titrating off Zoloft and in three days start taking Viibryd. She has me off Zoloft in 9 days. Beginning tomorrow I cut my 10 mgs of Abilify to 5 mgs and after a week end that medication as it wasn't recommended for me by the GeneSight test. This will be lots of changes and I'm a little concerned, but am going into it with a good attitude.

I've been 2 days on Viibryd 10 mgs and have slept like a baby with no side effects so far. I'm very grateful for the DNA test.

I'm down to half the Zoloft and half the Abilify with no withdrawal at all so far. I'm so very pleased. I'll be completely off Zoloft on Sept. 17th and hope my luck continues. I'm going to remain on Abilify 5 mgs a little longer as I don't want to come off two AD's at the same time. My doctor said I could stay on Abilify longer while I'm titrating onto Viibryd. So far so good. I'll keep you posted.

I've been 2 days on Viibryd 10 mgs and have slept like a baby with no side effects so far. I'm very grateful for the DNA test.

I'm down to half the Zoloft and half the Abilify with no withdrawal at all so far. I'm so very pleased. I'll be completely off Zoloft on Sept. 17th and hope my luck continues. I'm going to remain on Abilify 5 mgs a little longer as I don't want to come off two AD's at the same time. My doctor said I could stay on Abilify longer while I'm titrating onto Viibryd. So far so good. I'll keep you posted.

Wow, that is great to hear, HopeButterfly!! We are all behind you on your journey!!!

A little update: I took my final Zoloft last night and have felt no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. Yippee! Can you imagine? 9 days to get off 200 mgs and no withdrawals so far.

I'm still on 5 mgs of Abilify. The only side effect I've had so far on my new medication, Viibryd, is on day 4 I experienced about 1 hour of nausea about 1 hour after taking the medication - nothing the past two days. So far it's been an excellent titration. I surely can't complain. I have to wonder if I'm having no side effects (so far) due to the fact that this was recommended by my DNA test. I'm only on 10 mgs of Viibryd for another 8 days, then 20 mgs for 14 days, then she wants me to go up to 40.

Two days after getting off Zoloft my mood went a bit down for three days and I cried just a little those three days. Crying helped to relieve some stress, so did talking with my husband and getting his support. Now Zoloft is out of my system and I feel better.

Last night I upped my Viibryd to 20 mgs and have had no side effects whatsoever. I feel OK, except that I have a bad cold. But a physical illness is nothing compared to depression. So I'm pretty pleased so far.

Everything sounds positive so far, Hope. Once you are on the 40 mg of Viibryd, you will be good to go I think. Then you will have a steady dose each day and will get stabilized. I am amazed at your getting off 200 mg of Zoloft in 9 days. I guess the Abilify is keeping the withdrawals at bay, huh? I will keep that in mind, as I reduce my Paxil. I have gone down by 5 mg. in 5 weeks. Actually faster than I meant to but I could only get halfway between the line on the measuring cup doing the liquid form.

Keep us posted and so glad you are doing well!!

Everything sounds positive so far, Hope. Once you are on the 40 mg of Viibryd, you will be good to go I think. Then you will have a steady dose each day and will get stabilized. I am amazed at your getting off 200 mg of Zoloft in 9 days. I guess the Abilify is keeping the withdrawals at bay, huh? I will keep that in mind, as I reduce my Paxil. I have gone down by 5 mg. in 5 weeks. Actually faster than I meant to but I could only get halfway between the line on the measuring cup doing the liquid form.

Keep us posted and so glad you are doing well!!

I think you're right about the Abilify. She wants me off that in time. I'm going to wait until I'm on the full 40 mgs of Viibryd before I drop it. I did have a little crying jag 3 days in a row a couple days after I finished Zoloft. I think that was withdrawal. I agree that 9 days was quick. But like you said, I should be good to go. It's been a tough road because I came off 17 years of Effexor XR 150 mgs in a 3 week titration and onto the Zoloft just in the spring. I had quite a bit of anxiety with that for weeks, but did it. Too bad I hadn't had the DNA test before trying the Zoloft. But what's done is done and I should be OK. Thanks so much for your kind words. I hope you are well.

Woo-hoo! I actually had a good night's sleep. I'm on day 6 of fighting a bad cold which has been keeping me awake. It's been the usual kind when your head feels like a balloon and you can't breath with a sore throat and all that crap.

I still have the cold, but I feel good this morning mood-wise. I can't believe I feel good. Maybe the Viibryd is starting to work. I've been 3 days on my increase to 20 mgs after 12 days of the 10 mgs. Oh if this is the answer, I'll be so grateful. It's been months and months of mild depression.