Advertisement
  • Announcements

• Lindsay

A Reminder that we are a PG13 Site   12/09/2016

Please keep in mind that NO content can be posted that is not PG13!  No sexual content and definitely not images which is not permitted in a post! We will delete it.  Not even memes or humorous images should be posted, if you want these forums to continue. NO IMAGES! If you want to post an image, post the URL pointing it to your gallery.  Again, Depressionforums.org is PG13!! Thank you~ ~Forum Admin  
Sign in to follow this  
gentle sun

Goodbye Paxil - Well, ...we Shall See

45 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

Advertisement

Hi, I am taking 45 mg. of Paxil. Been on it for 20 years plus. I am 65 and worry about long-term effects on my organs, etc.

I got the liquid form and I am ramping down 1 mg. at a time. I heard about the horrible withdrawal effects and I am sensitive to medication so I am taking it slow. Will probably reduce by 1 mg., one month at a time.

Here I go - Today is Day one - I will let you know how I do.

You might also be interested in:

Posted · Report post  

Good luck GS,

I think you're right about worrying about the long term affects on your organs with your age. I hope you'll be able to keep the progress you've gained over the years and will be able to remain stable without meds. :flowers:

Posted · Report post  

Thanks Flash. Even if I just get to 20, that will help I think.

Day One went fine. No problems. Of course its just 1 mg. Its a little hard to get between the lines on the mls. so it might be more like 1 1/2 or 2mg. but so far so good. Very thick orange flavored stuff. A bit yukky but I can deal with that. Im so excited to think I might actually lose weight too!!!

Posted · Report post  

You can continue taking it at low doses, studies show participants in your age group doing it, but at very low doses because of organ problems. Yeah, I hear you on the weight gain. I'm small and want to remain this way. Venlafaxine made me gain about 6 pounds or so over the six months I was taking it, only in the belly. It's too bad it didn't do anything for my anxiety because there were no drug interactions with the rest of my meds. Sertraline is going to mess with my Lipitor again, my doctor is just going to have to find some other statin for me to take because I can't keep going back and forth to try new meds.

Posted · Report post  

Hey Flash - I take Simvistatin and it works well for me. Have you tried that?

Well today is 10 days and no problems. Of course I have been sad on the passing of my kitty cat but not like depression. It looks like I am taking 41 or 42 mg. a day (from the 45 before) Just how the measuring seems to be coming out. So far so good!!

How is the Setraline doing with the depression?

Posted · Report post  

I'll ask my doctor to check all of the statins, there has to be one I can take. I like Sertraline, it keeps eveything stable and helps a little with the anxiety. I'm glad you're doing well on your taper down.

Posted · Report post  

Hey Flash or should I call you James?

Thanks for asking. Doing very well. Still down to 41-42 and no problems. On the 16th I will go to 40. (That will be 5 mg. decrease all together) since August 16. Didnt plan on that much but it was hard to get less than 1/2 between the lines on my measure cup.

How is it going with you?

Posted · Report post  

That's Great! Please, call me James. I'm hanging in there as well. My new med combo really has calmed me down, it's very hard to upset me anymore which is so very nice. I hope you continue to do well on your taper down. :happy:

Posted · Report post  

Thank you. Glad to hear the new med has a calming effect. I remember long ago when they thought I was Bi-polar and put me on Lithium and Paxil. Wow, I never worried. That part was so nice. Its funny how when you react calmly to things, it actually can change the outcome. Take care!

Posted · Report post  

Thank you. Glad to hear the new med has a calming effect. I remember long ago when they thought I was Bi-polar and put me on Lithium and Paxil. Wow, I never worried. That part was so nice. Its funny how when you react calmly to things, it actually can change the outcome. Take care!

I'm so calm nowadays it's pretty scary. Nothing is getting to me too bad, except missing my guy, but even that is not putting me on edge like it would have only months before.

Posted · Report post  

I'm in the process of tapering off Paxil, I went from 60 mgs. to 15 mgs. over a few months. I can't seem to get below 15 mgs, without having terrible withdrawal symptoms. From what I've researched, it's extremely difficult coming off Paxil. :verysad3:

Posted · Report post  

I'm so calm nowadays it's pretty scary. Nothing is getting to me too bad, except missing my guy, but even that is not putting me on edge like it would have only months before.

Thats great, James!!! Thats really how it should be. If we could all not worry about things. It makes total sense. Just deal with things when they come and not before - because right now is just fine!!

Posted · Report post  

I'm in the process of tapering off Paxil, I went from 60 mgs. to 15 mgs. over a few months. I can't seem to get below 15 mgs, without having terrible withdrawal symptoms. From what I've researched, it's extremely difficult coming off Paxil. :verysad3:

Hey Moody Blues,

I would like to know how it goes with you. 60 to 15 in a few months!! That is pretty incredible. I would be a mess if I went that fast. Are you very depressed? What are your withdrawal effects? Can you tell me in other ways how you are feeling?

Posted · Report post  

Hey Moody Blues,

I would like to know how it goes with you. 60 to 15 in a few months!! That is pretty incredible. I would be a mess if I went that fast. Are you very depressed? What are your withdrawal effects? Can you tell me in other ways how you are feeling?

Wow....I didn't realize that coming off Paxil is about as hard for Effexor for a lot of people. Good luck to you both. :flowers:

Posted · Report post  

Hey Moody Blues,

Withdrawal symptoms are horrible, they actually call it the "Paxil Flu". I suffer from headaches, nausea, diarrhea, chest pains, severe anxiety, ear aches and loss of appetite. At 15 mgs. I've seem to leveled out except for the anxiety. I've had severe anxiety for most of my life, so I'm not surprised it's back.

I know Paxil has been helping me, but I hate the side effects and I'm trying to get to a lower dose. I wpuld really like to get off Paxil and try another medication.

I may be entering a clinical trial and will have to wean off Paxil anyway, I'll see what happens.

Posted · Report post  

Well, thats good you dont have the other effects, but anxiety is pretty awful. I dont know which is worse, depression or anxiety. I know how you feel about wanting to get to a lower dose or a different one altogether. Im interested in seeing how I feel without Paxil. If I ever get to that point. Watch me be totally different, that would be weird. A low dose of 20 or so would be okay with me or something that works better without the weight gain etc. You were very brave to weather through the effects for those months!! Did you ever wonder if it was the side effects or you were really sick? Being that it all came together I guess you figured it had to be the withdrawal, huh? Keep me posted on your journey!! Good Luck, Moody!!

Posted · Report post  

Well, thats good you dont have the other effects, but anxiety is pretty awful. I dont know which is worse, depression or anxiety. I know how you feel about wanting to get to a lower dose or a different one altogether. Im interested in seeing how I feel without Paxil. If I ever get to that point. Watch me be totally different, that would be weird. A low dose of 20 or so would be okay with me or something that works better without the weight gain etc. You were very brave to weather through the effects for those months!! Did you ever wonder if it was the side effects or you were really sick? Being that it all came together I guess you figured it had to be the withdrawal, huh? Keep me posted on your journey!! Good Luck, Moody!!

Oh it was the Paxil! If I was feeling bad and took a little more Paxil, my symptoms disappeared within an hour.

Posted · Report post  

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here.

I'm considering switching from Effexor XR to Paxil. Effexor has been pretty good, but I am researching Brisdelle for hot flashes and it is pretty much Paxil.......

So I thought, if I can get results for my depression from Paxil; And it helps with these horrendous hot flashes, then that would be great(?). I took hr for them along with the Effexor, and gained a ton of weight, which is now off. But I do not want the weight gain, sluggish feeling either, which is a HUGE struggle, as I don't have a thyroid, lost to cancer 5 yrs ago. Those levels are checked every two months STILL, and of course effect the weight, tired, depression, I mean, what doesn't it effect?

Anyways, going to the doc on Oct 3rd to discuss, and wondered if anyone have info to share?

Thanks so much!

Posted · Report post  

Paxil worked great for me for 20 plus years and still does. It can cause weight gain which all pretty much do, except Wellbutrin. Dont know about the brand new ones out. For depression, it was the one that worked the best for me. I had Graves Disease so I have a thyroid issue too. I take thyroid meds each day. Im thinking Brisdelle might be a very low dose of Paxil but Im not sure. By the way, did you lose the weight from going off Effexor?

Posted · Report post  

Still on 40 mg and no problems. One thing I noticed is I dont get sleepy till late at night. Dropping down to 37 mg. at the end of October. So far, so good.

Posted · Report post  

Hi, I am new to the site but have been on paxil for 17 or 18 years, myself. I am now 51 and initially gained about 45 lb on it. My dose was 40 mg for a long time. Right away, my side effects of extreme fatigue and dullness were intolerable although it really helped me relax. So, I started on wellbutrin so help with the side effects. I was prescribed 300 mg but could never get that high. I ended up on 100 mg for a long time which was enough to keep me awake and motivated. Fast forward to a couple of years ago, a divorce, and a teenager later I entered a period of my life that I felt so panicky and upset I knew I had to get my regimen changed. I lost about 30 lb altogether, mostly stress but I made up my mind to keep it off. I went to counseling, improved my home life, and focused on being healthy, exercising, and eating right. Having a better life situation gave me the strength to gradually decease my paxil to 20 mg over about 6 months. I used a pill cutter and started shaving it down GRADUALLY. If I couldn't be sure I was able to get the exact dose, I just did every other day of the 2 different doses and decreased about 5 mg a month. I tried to go below 20 mg but felt that my body couldn't go any lower so I stopped. I hope to keep everything stable but it's a challenge. Just wanted to share my story. Good luck.

Posted · Report post  

Hi carolh,

So are you feeling okay on the 20 mg. now? How long have you been on the 20? Sounds like you did it sensibly. Did you get withdrawals? Sounds like 20 questions......sorry. Glad to hear you were able to do that. Im going slowly too. I have reduced by 5 mg. since August and havent had any problems so far. I hope Im able to lose weight but I have a feeling after having this weight for so long, its stuck so I expect I will have to work for that. I am mainly hoping for more energy. Thanks for sharing your story. Let me know how you are doing. Yeah when I first took it, I did need it and it helped get me out of the bad depression, but there was good reason for being depressed back then, like you.