Sign in to follow this  
Dyzzying

Cymbalta And Sexual Side Effects

To make a very long story, I was on a combination of low-dose Wellbutrin, Lexapro and Klonopin that worked well for me, except the Lexapro hits me hard in the sex area. Spent weeks getting off the Lexapro and the sex problems diminished, but the depression has gotten much worse.

So I asked my pdoc if he had any ideas -- and he basically didn't. So I'm back on the "have you tried X? have you tried Y?" merry-go-round. This time it's Cymbalta.

Okay, slightly different med. But everything I've just read about it says it's just as bad as the SSRIs in this area. Am I just about to put myself through 2 more months of frustration for nothing?

Thanks.

Edited by Dyzzying

For me, Cymbalta has been much better than SSRIs in the sex department. With Zoloft, especially after taking it for several months, I had problems similar to Lauryn--going and going, but never getting there. :smile: I'm currently on a combination of Wellbutrin and Cymbalta and haven't had that problem at all. I don't know if it's related to the medicine or not, but I find that climaxing can be a bit more--ahem--"intense" than before. Nothing dramatic, but noticeable. I have to admit that "softness" is a bit of a problem, but that could either be medication or encroaching middle age--hard to tell. For me, it's a worthwhile tradeoff for the success I've had taking Cymbalta for my depression. Good luck!

It was much better here to than ssri, at 90mg cymbalta i relly had problems but at 60mg it all worked out :-)

My doctor told me that my sex drive and my weight "should" not change with Cymbalta. And it didn't. I honestly don't see any difference. If their is something, it's better than before because the depression symptoms are going away!

Thanks for the responses. I've actually decided to hold off briefly on even trying this. There's a lot of flux in real-world issues in my life right now and I want to resolve some of them before I decide if I need to be on an AD again (beside what I am already on.) I'm grateful to hear that at least some people had better luck with this, it is some encouragement in case I feel the need to go on it after all.

Edited by Dyzzying

I was on Cymbalta for a long time and it does have a small effect on your sexual response.  A bit in the desire department and some in the actual climax intensity and sensation.  I think it is worth the try, don't go by how you feel for the first 2 or 3 months, minimum. I remember the first few doses of Cymbalta and I had the sexiest feelings going on! Ya, that didn't last, which is too bad!  Since my reply is almost a year late I would be curious to hear your take on Cymbalta!

Your response is a year later than I posted this but I actually only just went on Cymbalta this week.

Three days in on 20 mg. So far, all negative: nausea, dizziness, lethargy, and I think the sexual side effects are starting. No relief from anxiety/depression and in fact they are worse.

I know it takes some time for these things to work so I guess I just have to put up with this.

Been on it for almost two years. Was ok for depression at first but no as good now. Sex was better in that I could have an orgasam however now for about a year zero desire for sex. Just nothing and have had times wher I could not perform. Not sure how much is cymbalta versus depression.

Been on Cymbalta for 2 years for fibromyalgia. 60 mg. Took myself off it over a week ago when I came down with the flu and threw up all my vitamins supplements and meds. I see no difference in pain levels because I believe my body was used to it. I feel better, pain is no different on or off and my libido is back which was totally obsolete when on it. I also gained 20 pounds from it and hoping that will come off now. The fibromyalgia and arthritis because of chronic Lyme stole my life. I was a jr. Olympic gymnast, competitive body builder, runner and coach when I was younger 2 years ago at age 52 I still ran 3 miles every morning and did pushups, sit ups etc. I weighed 118 pounds. I feel better being off it and believe God is healing me. Alcohol and cymbalta DO NOT mix. Or should I say fibro and alcohol don't mix. Alcohol makes everything worse plus will ruin your liver if taking with cymbalta. I just want to be healthy and in shape again. I'll never be a runner again because of a torn ACL and miniscus and bad hip, but can at least walk and do other things, maybe yoga. One thing huge when cymbalta free, is I forgot how great is. I had no desire at all. Orgasam's were a thing of the past. Not anymore and that's a real nice thing to have back. God is still in the healing buisness and I'm convinced I will be fibro free. I'm sick of bandaids. The truth will set you free.