Sign in to follow this  
bigbryman72

Trying To Find The Positive

I have been married to an amazing woman for 8 months now and she is great but recently I have found myself wondering , since she won't open up to me, what is wrong with her. Her family says she has always had anger and depression issues....I refilled her prescriptions for the first time the other day since we shifted health plans to my employer (who has a pharmacy on site) and she is on Vybriid, Seroquel and Klonopin. When I ask her about this she says it is for anxiety and depression. I want to be able to help her but I really do not know where to start... any advice would be greatly appreciated

Bigbryman,

Anxiety and depression are serious illnesses. People suffering from them may not wish to talk about how they feel. The causes of anxiety/depression are many, and differ from person to person.

I would avoid questioning her meds - she may be embarrassed that she takes them, or just plain does not want to talk about it. I would assume that the doctors know what they are doing with the meds. Make sure that she does not run out of meds, since withdrawal from the meds can be very unpleasant or worse.

I would start by educating yourself. I have posted some links below. The more you know, the better you will feel, and better prepared to help her.

Sometimes a hug is the best help you can give her.

Hope this helps, jmg :flowers:

How To Help Someone With Depression
http://www.depressionforums.org/forums/topic/88192-how-to-help-someone-with-depression/

Depression FAQ
http://www.depressionforums.org/forums/topic/230-depression-faq-part-i-ii-and-iii/

Families and Caregivers
http://www.depressionforums.org/forums/forum/100-mental-health-families-and-caregivers/

Hi bigbryman72,

I'm glad you're a caring partner and want to help your wife out. This is going to be very challenging until she is stable and will be able to talk about her feelings. Having patience is key when you are with a person who has mental disorders. You also have to take care of yourself and don't let yourself get overwhelmed in the process. One thing you could do is research about the medications she's currently taking. You could also ask her if you could go with her to her next doctor appointment so you could see how the interaction is between the both of them.

Welcome bigbryman72, :welcomeani:

I agree with jmg about avoiding questioning her meds and also with flasquish, research the medications she's currently taking. I have an uncle who’s taking vybriid and seroquel not sure if his taking anything else. My uncle takes these meds to treat bipolar disorder. Not sure and not saying that your wife has bipolar disorder but… it might explain your family in-law saying that she has always had anger and depression issues.

The fact that you want to support her is a huge factor to the road of her well-being. Peoples like us, leaving with anxiety and depression are more than capable of having a fulfilling, happy life especially when we have the support of our loves one. I wish you the best to you and your wonderful wife.

Thank you all for the replies. I have begun researching and trying to put into place as much as I can to help her because she is a great woman who I know loves me we just need to work together to get there. I will take the advice to heart about not questioning and just supporting. I have offered to go with her to her next appointment or two and she said she isnt ready for that yet but that I am the first one who she has ever been with that has asked to know how this affects her and wants to do something (so I am taking that as a positive). I wish you all all the best too.

I think it would be best to go somewhere to rest and drink everything in a calm meditative atmosphere. There he may be able to relax and unfold. Or go to a psychotherapist together, but definitely together. never leave your wife alone