Any Gamers? (Another Call Out :)

Els1e

Hi everyone,

I posted a similar (tho slightly different) question a few days ago (& just in case anyone missed it) - I was wondering if anyone here is interested in grouping up to play a free MMO together? (Note - I mentioned Elder Scrolls in my previous post but I know that's a pricey, buggy game).

So far, there are two of us with the right system requirements to play 'Diablo 3'. You can download it & play it for free on a starter pack (with some restrictions), which is what I'm doing. You don't need to give credit card details. It plays on either a Mac or PC.

It'd be great if we could get a few more people to join us. If you're interested - it's probably easiest to message me directly & I can organise it.

I find MMOs a great escape but a bit lonely/boring when played alone. I'm fairly new to games & i'm too shy/intimidated to join a guild in order to play with others. I thought it'd be great to play with other people from here (who also have anxiety/depression etc), even if it's just a one-off.

Re timezones - although I live in Sydney Australia, the best time for me is night time in the USA - anytime from 5pm to 10 pm Californian time (which is morning-mid afternoon in Australia). I can also only play during the week - which would be any day from Sunday to Thursday night in the US (which is Mon to Fri mornings over here).

Note - I've only been playing games/MMOs since February this year & haven't played Diablo 3 before (although I have played WOW) so even if you haven't played before & want to give it a go.

Edited by Els1e

I have diablo 3, my brother always plays with his friends but I play alone. I think it would be okay playing with other people but what if we made each other more depressed, id feel really bad. Also I live in the uk and have weird sleeping patterns so I dont know how that translates with ur timezone .

I'm middle aged and don't play games any more. The last time I gamed was on the original Atari.

Yeah, I'm getting there (toward middle age - late 30s). I played Wolfenstein when I was a kid, when the characters were still stick figures.

I've been playing MMOs (WOW & ESO) only since Feb. this year.

With my lack of motivation/any gaming knowledge, I had to rely on my husband to set it all up for me & hold my hand at the start. I'm still pretty crap but can't believe how much I've taken to them (I really wasn't expecting to like it). The fighting thing was a bit hard for me at first, but I'm now enjoying it...I don't know if that's such a good thing ? Have to keep telling myself "they're just pixels, they're just pixels".

I think it's largely about being able to log in & be around other people, as my depression makes it really hard to get out of the house & be sociable. Although it's lonely & can get boring when I play solo (without my other half). So I'm trying to overcome the shyness thing & play in a group.

I have diablo 3, my brother always plays with his friends but I play alone. I think it would be okay playing with other people but what if we made each other more depressed, id feel really bad. Also I live in the uk and have weird sleeping patterns so I dont know how that translates with ur timezone .

Hi unordinary :),

Two of us (from the forum) are going to group to play Diablo 3 next Sunday at 5pm (Californian time). It'd be great if you could join us. I was thinking, if it works out, we could maybe schedule the same time each week to play. We thought we'd set up a 'clan' in-game so we can add anyone who wants to play.

Note - I've played WOW but haven't played Diablo before, so you'd need to be prepared for me being a bit confused for awhile. I'll practice & read up & will try to avoid stupid questions tho ?

Note also, we'll be playing on the trial (starter pack) version, at least for next Sunday, as I don't yet own it (I will probably buy it, I just want to see how it goes). If you want to join us, you'll need to download the starter pack. (It's stupid but) apparently a person playing on the non-trial version can't group with someone on the starter pack.

I definitely don't mind if you're depressed :-). I think if I'm with someone who's depressed, it makes me feel less alone, so actually less depressed. And hopefully my depression wouldn't impact you. Other than close friends, no one in RL guesses I have depression, so hopefully that means I'm not too morbid to be around.

Uh oh - based on the time difference, it looks like 5pm (Sunday) in California would be 1am (Monday) in London. Are your sleeping patterns weird enough?

Edited by Els1e

i used to be a WOW junky its nice to have a place to escape to and forget about everything about urself, while still being in the company of other people. thats what draws me to mmos too. But i end up being just as anti-social on them as i am in real life. It just this feeling that i get that no one really wants to be around me. anyway enough of that.

i dont mind downloading the trial, my internet about as fast as a 3 legged tortoise but i can probably download it by next sunday. im trying to fix my sleeping habits but yea theyre really messed up so i will probably be awake at 1am. I dont think other people notice my depression either when im around others i try and act happy and carefree.

I used to spend a lot of time playing MMOs. I still isolate and spend all my time at home alone, but for whatever reason, I'm not motivated to pick them back up. I played Warcraft a lot. Diablo 3 was pretty terrible. I try to play Hearthstone, but don't really like it. Right now I just play whatever I can pick up cheap. I got Darksiders for like $2.50 so I'm playing through that. I still like to play Civ games. Mostly just single player stuff. I'm having trouble even interacting with people online these days.

i used to be a WOW junky its nice to have a place to escape to and forget about everything about urself, while still being in the company of other people. thats what draws me to mmos too. But i end up being just as anti-social on them as i am in real life. It just this feeling that i get that no one really wants to be around me. anyway enough of that.

i dont mind downloading the trial, my internet about as fast as a 3 legged tortoise but i can probably download it by next sunday. im trying to fix my sleeping habits but yea theyre really messed up so i will probably be awake at 1am. I dont think other people notice my depression either when im around others i try and act happy and carefree.

Brilliant - don't want to leave you sleep deprived, but if you're awake & can make it, that'd be great.

Re people not noticing the depression. Yep, we become terrific actors. It gets tiring :-(

You've nailed what it's like in MMOs. You go in feeling less alone & able to escape the misery & be around others. But you're too shy to talk to anyone. Joining an established guild feels like you're crashing someone's party. So you don't only feel alone again, but also inadequate :-(. I'm lucky to have my husband to play with on weekends, but it's so damn lonely when I'm playing solo.

Hubby also isn't a chatter so I've struggled with the chat-thing. If someone does say 'hi' (or helps me fight a giant bear or something), I have trouble working out how to respond/thank them. So (coupled with the shyness) I'm sitting there swearing at myself, hitting all the wrong keys, while the other person eventually walks away (most likely) hurt or thinking I'm rude, which then leaves me feeling gutted.

There's gotta be so many shy introverts playing MMOs. It's such a pity there isn't an easier way to find each other & group up.

I used to spend a lot of time playing MMOs. I still isolate and spend all my time at home alone, but for whatever reason, I'm not motivated to pick them back up. I played Warcraft a lot. Diablo 3 was pretty terrible. I try to play Hearthstone, but don't really like it. Right now I just play whatever I can pick up cheap. I got Darksiders for like $2.50 so I'm playing through that. I still like to play Civ games. Mostly just single player stuff. I'm having trouble even interacting with people online these days.

Hey Shawn81,

You're very welcome to join us. Re trouble interacting - I'm socially stunted with people I don't know, so at least we'd all be in a similar boat.

Re Diablo3 - (I don't really have a clue about this but...) I'm thinking it could maybe be a better game if you're playing with others? I think I would have stuck WOW out for much (much) longer if I'd had other people to play with. We're playing on the free pack if you want to join us.

Hey Shawn81,

You're very welcome to join us. Re trouble interacting - I'm socially stunted with people I don't know, so at least we'd all be in a similar boat.

Re Diablo3 - (I don't really have a clue about this but...) I'm thinking it could maybe be a better game if you're playing with others? I think I would have stuck WOW out for much (much) longer if I'd had other people to play with. We're playing on the free pack if you want to join us.

I've actually been a gamer for a long time. I started playing MMOs in the 90's with stuff like Ultima Online and moved on to Dark Age of Camelot after that, then Warcraft in the beta, the The Lord of the Rings Online, back to Warcraft, etc. Some others along the way. The original Diablo was the reason I bought a computer in the first place in '96 I think. It was amazing. Then Diablo 2 was even more amazing. Diablo 3 took like 10 years to be released after they announced they were starting it and it wasn't anywhere near as good as Diablo 2. I played for maybe three weeks when it came out, then came back a week before the expansion to try and get back into it and convince myself to buy the expansion, but I was bored with it in a few days and ended up not buying it. I play Path of Exile if I feel like playing that type of game (100% free and way better than Diablo 3, just less polish on the graphics because it's a small developer). It's a lot more advanced though, harder to just pick up and play.

Once you get more comfortable with how the game works you'll have less trouble interracting. MMO communities - like most online communities - are sewers. People in MMOs have zero tolerance for someone who know less about the game than they do and will be as mean as they can be if they come across one. I was terrible at Warcraft for a long time. I'm slow to learn things compared to when I was younger, especially games. It just takes time. But like you said, they're no fun whatsoever without friends to play with, which I don't have anymore, so I stopped playing and never ended up buying Wildstar or any of the other MMOs that looked good. I end up getting bored with the casual aspects of the game after a while and get a little too into the more time consuming aspects, like end-game raiding, because there's nothing else to do, but that burns me out in the end.

Hey Shawn81,

I've actually been a gamer for a long time. I started playing MMOs in the 90's with stuff like Ultima Online and moved on to Dark Age of Camelot after that, then Warcraft in the beta, the The Lord of the Rings Online, back to Warcraft, etc. Some others along the way. The original Diablo was the reason I bought a computer in the first place in '96 I think. It was amazing. Then Diablo 2 was even more amazing. Diablo 3 took like 10 years to be released after they announced they were starting it and it wasn't anywhere near as good as Diablo 2. I played for maybe three weeks when it came out, then came back a week before the expansion to try and get back into it and convince myself to buy the expansion, but I was bored with it in a few days and ended up not buying it. I play Path of Exile if I feel like playing that type of game (100% free and way better than Diablo 3, just less polish on the graphics because it's a small developer). It's a lot more advanced though, harder to just pick up and play.

Once you get more comfortable with how the game works you'll have less trouble interracting. MMO communities - like most online communities - are sewers. People in MMOs have zero tolerance for someone who know less about the game than they do and will be as mean as they can be if they come across one. I was terrible at Warcraft for a long time. I'm slow to learn things compared to when I was younger, especially games. It just takes time. But like you said, they're no fun whatsoever without friends to play with, which I don't have anymore, so I stopped playing and never ended up buying Wildstar or any of the other MMOs that looked good. I end up getting bored with the casual aspects of the game after a while and get a little too into the more time consuming aspects, like end-game raiding, because there's nothing else to do, but that burns me out in the end.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean (re sewers). The snobbery freaks me out. My relative 'newbie' status doesn't help my shyness-with-new-people one bit. I'm constantly worried about being a pain in the ass. I also got into games way too late. Your brain gets less cooperative learning new stuff the older you get :-(

I got verbally abused in WOW once, after my #%^* husband dragged me into a dungeon on only my 3rd time logging into an MMO. I'd only ever played the SIMS before that (yep, I know, pretty embarrassing). I deserved it though :-). I panicked & managed to send my pet forward & jump backwards & aggro additional bad guys from the front/back. Husband then got his share of verbal abuse (from me)...& his fair share of the silent treatment haha.

On the other hand, I've been playing Elder Scrolls (ESO) for awhile now & am absolutely amazed at how nice people are, incl in group dungeons & the zone/PVP chat, & the intolerance for trolls. I've also just started trying to ingratiate myself into a guild and so far everyone seems to have the patience of a saint. I'll prolly see the dark side soon, but so far so good...although I'm expecting I'll probably just chicken out & lapse into being an inactive member :-(

Nb. I'm ok with the game-fighting now, at least in ESO & WOW. I can usually keep up - i.e. my spouse goes at an Olympic-sprint pace sometimes. I'm just very new to anything group-related.

I've read great things about Path of Exile. Unfortunately I have a Mac computer & it's not available on Mac. I'm learning that games & Macs don't have a good relationship.

If you do change your mind on Diablo3 - apart from having more people to play with, I really appreciate being able to learn from (patient) people who know what they're doing. I totally understand if that really doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun though.

Edited by Els1e

i know what you mean by crash the party. i feel like that alot to and thats why i dont participate. i can be really talkative but after a conversation when i start thinking it over i either feel like ive made a fool of myself or come across cooler than i actually am so then i just try avoiding the people ive spoke to. ;/

i think the maximum number of players in diablo is 4 in a group. Its not really open world like an mmorpg.

have you guys ever played league of legends, i had a big brake from it because most people are rude and horribly mean. but it will certainly be more fun with you guys. and its free.

normal games are 5 v 5 so it has the potential to accomodate up to 10 players.

dont try it by urself if you dont like getting shouted at, because it happens alot. lol

Edited by unordinary

i know what you mean by crash the party. i feel like that alot to and thats why i dont participate. i can be really talkative but after a conversation when i start thinking it over i either feel like ive made a fool of myself or come across cooler than i actually am so then i just try avoiding the people ive spoke to. ;/

i think the maximum number of players in diablo is 4 in a group. Its not really open world like an mmorpg.

have you guys ever played league of legends, i had a big brake from it because most people are rude and horribly mean. but it will certainly be more fun with you guys. and its free.

normal games are 5 v 5 so it has the potential to accomodate up to 10 players.

dont try it by urself if you dont like getting shouted at, because it happens alot. lol

Yep, I overanalyse everything I say, then agonise over every word. Sometimes it feels easier not to say anything, but I love to talk so shutting up is also hard. Avoidance is often the option I go for...hence the isolation :-( I heard the depressed brain can't process shame & guilt properly, so those emotions tend to overwhelm you a lot of the time. It really sucks - sends you into a downward spiral, as the isolation makes the depression worse.

Re Diablo3 & the limit on players - Ah ok, shows how little I know about computer games :-(. League of Legends sounds interesting. It looks like it plays on a Mac. Yeah, I don't think I want to get shouted at, so won't attempt in on my own lol

There's currently 3 of us. I'm thinking, if we get more people to play we could maybe move to that, or find another that everyone's happy with (I'm not much help on that, other than google research).

Nb. we had a potential fourth player, but they can only play games that don't need to be downloaded. They suggested Runescape or AdventureQuest Worlds. Do you know about those? It'd be great if we could find something we could all play/want to play. God it's hard with the compatibility issues/different spec requirements :-(

Edited by Els1e

yeah, i played runescape before, its pretty basic comapred to the others but i dont mind playing it. Organising things like this is pretty tough.

I think ive tried nearly every MMO , it was just a phase i was going through to find something to do with my life . ;I

yeah, i played runescape before, its pretty basic comapred to the others but i dont mind playing it. Organising things like this is pretty tough.

I think ive tried nearly every MMO , it was just a phase i was going through to find something to do with my life . ;I

Re organising it - yeah I know, especially when we all have depression etc. It's worth a shot though. I'm determined to give it a go :-).

Are we still on for a game on Sunday (very very early Monday for you)? I understand if you decide the time isn't doable. It'd be terrific if you can though. If everyone can still make it - it'll be 3 of us - you, me & afflicted.

We may also have a 4th, if it works out & we schedule another game - Puzzled12 said he might be able to join us (can't do this weekend though).

If anyone else wants to join us, & if we can get more than 4, we can just move to another game, e.g. League of Legends. There's gotta be something we can all play.

• 3 weeks later...

I love playing games, mostly MMORPGs but I'm too shy. I can't escape my shyness to anywhere. Last time I logged out middle of the dungeon, lol! Because I was too scared of what other players might be thinking ''oh, she's such a noob!'' etc. :/

I've started to think that maybe I should only play games which are only for one person.

Hey guys,

We're meeting up for a game of Path of Exile (PoE) tomorrow (PC game) at 5pm, Sunday 17 Aug (Californian time) if anyone wants to join us. Two of us are confirmed so far, & two possible further people.

Does anyone else want to play? It'd be great if we could get more people involved.

I haven't played PoE & it looks like there's a maximum of 6 people :-( If we get more than 6 though (unlikely for tomorrow I think, but if we can...), we could split into 2 groups. I'm hoping to make this a weekly thing, so if we do get more than 6 people for later weeks, we could otherwise look for a game that doesn't have a player limit. There's got to be one around (for me - it needs to be playable on, at least, a PC).

I'm sorry this is such late notice - it took awhile for me to get my ass into gear & work out how to install PoE on my Mac computer (it's a PC game but my hubby has bootcamp - can run Windows games). Note - three of us got together to play the free/starter version of Diablo3 a couple of weeks ago & it was brilliant. But we got to the 'need-to-pay-us-now' level too quickly, so we thought we'd go with a free game.

Metal_Falcon - is PoE playable on X-Box (sorry, I'm fairly tech-stupid ?)? Otherwise, do you have a PC?

Dude333 - would you be interested in playing PoE, nb it's available free also through steam (you prolly know that :-)

Wisteria - I have the same issues, haven't been playing MMOs for long & it feels like everyone else is a professional/gun gamer. I haven't played PoE before, but I hadn't played Diablo3 & I muddled through fine I think :-). Uh oh, I notice you're in Scandinavia, I think 5pm Sunday (California time) is 2am on Monday morning, eek :-(.The timezone thing is a real problem :'-(. I don't suppose you have really bizarre sleep patterns? :-(. I'm in Sydney & that time is 10am on Monday morning, but it actually works for me.

Hey guys,

We're meeting up for a game of Path of Exile (PoE) tomorrow (PC game) at 5pm, Sunday 17 Aug (Californian time) if anyone wants to join us. Two of us are confirmed so far, & two possible further people.

Does anyone else want to play? It'd be great if we could get more people involved.

I haven't played PoE & it looks like there's a maximum of 6 people :-( If we get more than 6 though (unlikely for tomorrow I think, but if we can...), we could split into 2 groups. I'm hoping to make this a weekly thing, so if we do get more than 6 people for later weeks, we could otherwise look for a game that doesn't have a player limit. There's got to be one around (for me - it needs to be playable on, at least, a PC).

I'm sorry this is such late notice - it took awhile for me to get my ass into gear & work out how to install PoE on my Mac computer (it's a PC game but my hubby has bootcamp - can run Windows games). Note - three of us got together to play the free/starter version of Diablo3 a couple of weeks ago & it was brilliant. But we got to the 'need-to-pay-us-now' level too quickly, so we thought we'd go with a free game.

Metal_Falcon - is PoE playable on X-Box (sorry, I'm fairly tech-stupid )? Otherwise, do you have a PC?

Dude333 - would you be interested in playing PoE, nb it's available free also through steam (you prolly know that :-)

Wisteria - I have the same issues, haven't been playing MMOs for long & it feels like everyone else is a professional/gun gamer. I haven't played PoE before, but I hadn't played Diablo3 & I muddled through fine I think :-). Uh oh, I notice you're in Scandinavia, I think 5pm Sunday (California time) is 2am on Monday morning, eek :-(.The timezone thing is a real problem :'-(. I don't suppose you have really bizarre sleep patterns? :-(. I'm in Sydney & that time is 10am on Monday morning, but it actually works for me.

Nahh PoE isn't on xbox, i do have a PC but dont play games on it like i used to do.

Hey guys,

Metal_Falcon - is PoE playable on X-Box (sorry, I'm fairly tech-stupid )? Otherwise, do you have a PC?

Nahh PoE isn't on xbox, i do have a PC but dont play games on it like i used to do.

Ah ok, no worries. It's so hard finding a game that's compatible with what everyone's using.

Yeah, I'm from Finland and I don't have any bizarre sleeping patterns, only on the weekends though, lol. Too bad... :( One of the reasons why I won't play MMORPGs anymore so much because some games have their EU servers located to NA which is very silly, so much lag and bad ping.

Hey,

I've played a few MMORPG's in the past, but almost exclusively by myself. I'm only really available on weekends or 4-11pm EST, so idk how often the times would sync up, but I think I would be willing to join. I haven't played Diablo III, but I'm already set up with a blizzard account and I've played Diablo II. I've also played a bit of PoE, but that was awhile ago, and the game has probably changed quite a bit.

If anybody is up for other games, I think Minecraft, Terraria, and Rapplez are all good choices.