Switching From Paxil To Effexor

Desperate for some positive stories about switching from paxil to Effexor! I have been on 29 mg of paxil for a little over 3 years. I am meeting with my dr this week to discuss taking Effexor and if am terrified that the switch won't work, I am desperate to get of paxil the side effects are ******* me! I have gained over 80 pounds, I have become housebound and am always exhausted! This is not a life but a muted hell! I took Effexor years ago and I did great on it but I just don't know if my brain will respond to the change, I feel like I am at the end of my rope right now dealing with these meds! Please anyone I need some hope,

So since I did not get any responses I have to decided to give updates on how the switch is going so when another desperate soul searching for hope about switching from paxil to effexor they will have this to read! I so hope what I have to write over the next few weeks will be positive!! I went to my doctor this morning and the switch is going to be slow, I am starting at 20mg paxil and the first step will be going up to 75mg Effexor. Starting tomorrow morning I will take 37.5 mg effexor xr, if I do ok on that tomorrow I will up it to 75mg the next day, if it feels like I am going to need to build up to 75mg I will stay at 37.5 for a few days. In a week I will drop to 10mg paxil, this is will it will get slow my dr said I could stay there for 3 or 4 weeks and then try to go down to 5mg and just test it out to see how the drop goes. I pray with all my heart and soul that this will work! I know effexor is almost impossible to get off of but I was on it years ago and I felt amazing, I still can't figureout why my dr was so determined to get me off effexor and onto paxil, she read thru her notes and said I was complaining about not sleeping well! Such a mistake to change, but I am hanging on to hope that this will work! Also I have decided to stay away from negative fearmongering web sites and post! My poor little brain does not need to consume that right now! So to whomever might find this I wish you peace and health and true happiness!

I hope Effexor works well for you again. It works well for me, but I'm going to have to find something that can get my anxiety well conrolled. It's not too bad at my dose of 225mg of Venlafaxine, but I'm just unsure if I should just up my dose to 300mg or see if my doctor wants to let me try something in addition and stay at 225mg. For me, it's a pretty good med.

I've been on Paxil for over 20 yrs. and have been slowly tapering myself off of it. I was on 60 mg and went down to 30 mg, over a months time, I'm now down to 15 mg and will stay on that for a few more weeks, before I stop completely.

I've been doing well and hopefully I can stop taking an AD, only time will tell. :Coopclapping:

I recently switched from Citalopram 30mg (which I had been on for 7 years) to Effexor over a period of 3 weeks. It took me 8 weeks to build up to 300mg of Effexor.

(I have heard that Paxil is one of the harder ADs to come off of, but I never had any problems when I took it years ago.)

I found the switch from Citalopram to Effexor painless in terms of side effects. I did, however, have a few weeks of extremely low mood in the middle of the switch. I'm not sure if this was my depression, the effects of not having a high enough dose of AD in my system or the Effexor. Now that I am at 262.5mg, I am feeling really good.

Best wishes with your switch!