The "how Do You Feel Right Now?" Thread

Ixeua

Feel better Starsea!

Dolphin - you are a very good mom!!! 

I just want today to end. Car started making noise and I had to take it in - $2000 bucks.  ****.  I'm 50 and I still have to get loans from my father.  Boy I need another source of income and fast.

Brian

Thanks Sal, very much appreciated.

You know my main problem is that when I'm severely depressed I can't imagine ever feeling better (I KNOW I will intellectually but I can't internalise the idea) And when I'm not depressed I completely lose touch with how bad it feels, which prompts me to doing or not doing things with the result that I can push mysellf into depressions again (example of doing something - overdrinking, example of notn doing something - not making an effort to keep busy, exercise, meet people, etc).

When the depression isn't there I'm actually pretty happy with my life at the moment. When it's there none of that matter, I just feel horrendous.

budfox - everything you described is the same with me - and I'm sure many if not most on here.  I think the important thing is to remember what this pattern means - that is, it means our thinking is heavily distorted when we are depressed.  And I mean HEAVILY.  That's why we need to just accept it, hang on, and wait it out.

budfox - everything you described is the same with me - and I'm sure many if not most on here.  I think the important thing is to remember what this pattern means - that is, it means our thinking is heavily distorted when we are depressed.  And I mean HEAVILY.  That's why we need to just accept it, hang on, and wait it out.

Great post. Couldn't agree more. One thing that helps me is journalling through the depression and then a couple of days after I've recovered. Then I can look back and see written evidence that no matter how bad I was, I ALWAYS got better.

Right on budfox!  I know for myself, no matter how much I think I am being "rational" when I am depressed, I have learned, over many years dealing with this scourge, that I am not rational when "under the influence".  I am, in fact, wallowing in a deeply skewed and biased assessment of my situation and the world in general that the ducking depression keeps reciting to me - ad nauseam.  It's not true.  It's just not the truth.  And it's the ****** depression's fault - not mine! Or yours!

Remember that when it has a hold on you - it is not the truth. 

And you know what else?  Depression is a total loser.  I don't know about you, but it always tells me the same freakin' things - over and over and over and over again.  Blah blah blah.  What a boor it is!  It has no imagination.  In writer's terms, it's a hack! No imagination. No ability to think freely.

Now, is the world all sunshine and roses?  No, it isn't. Can we simply construct a beautiful world with the simple Oprahfied platitudes?  No, we can't.  But, neither can we make the same mistake the other way and assume the God****** depression is speaking to us truthfully. 

In reality, we're somewhere in the middle of those two world views.  Which means there is always hope for us to get by, thrive, and be happy in an imperfect world.

Ride it out and discount what it's telling you.  That's what I am trying to do!

Cheers, all.  Love to you all on here.  You people deserve the best.

Another fantastic post Sal. And you put something (very articulately) into words that had occurred to me only recently. Depression is a boring, stupid illness. I have real contempt for it. It's so important to know that when we are depressed, it affects our world view, optimism (or lack thereof), motivation, enjoyment of things, etc, etc. It's an illness, it's not US. We are not our real selves when depressed.

On week 3 of weening off of cymbalta. Have a killer headache been crying more easily than before. Stressed with work and relatinship issues. I find myself telling myself what a looser and failure I am more and more. I honestly would noy care if died.

Dolphin ~ I loved your park story.  I don't think we look at the night sky enough.  When I'm outside at night and look up I just say 'wow' and breathe in the beauty of the moon and stars and the vast darkness of space.

JJ ~ I hope your friend is ok.

Christina ~ We missed you but I'm glad you got some writing done.

Sending hugs to anyone who needs them  :hugs:  My thoughts are with you all.

As for me, I'm proud of my son for going to school yesterday and hope the weekend offers a little reprieve from his anxiety and mine too.  It's something anyway.

Hi, this is my first ever post, I figured that since my medication isn't solving my problem, I should try something else. So here I am :/

I've honestly been depressed on and off because of the meds, they help me forget what made me feel so empty, but if I forget to take them, then I end up feeling just as horrible again. I've just been facing a lot of loss this past year, what with my dad dying of cancer and my girlfriend (who was quite honestly the last thing keeping me going) left me. I thought that I would be ok for the first week after the break up, that I could be alright, but I never felt alright after that. I just never seemed to get by it. My depression was always an issue to me since middle school, but in high school the only thing that kept me ok was her. Now she's gone and doesn't need me anymore. I don't know, I just feel empty, like I've lost too much too fast, and I just don't know what to do. I always snap back to depression whenever I thought of her, and I still try to take meds if I can't stop, but I really wan't to start trying to pass through it, so what should I do?

Hi 4thPlace, and welcome to DF.

Glad to have you here.

You have my deepest condolences on the loss of your father.

I know from first hand experience the pain of losing a parent.

I'm so sorry you have lost both your dad, and your girlfriend too.

Are you seeing a doctor or a therapist about your depression?

Depression is treatable, sometimes with medication, sometimes with therapy, and sometimes with a combination of both.

It is good you joined DF, because this community is filled with compassionate, caring people who understand depression.

If you start a topic in Depression Central, your topic may get more views, and you may receive more responses.

That's one of the busier parts of the Forum.

Please make yourself feel at home here, take a look around the site, and post wherever you feel comfortable.

I made myself go to the gym, where I walked/jogged for close to 30 minutes, then stretched and stretched and stretched.

That felt good.

I'm waiting for my son to call--he'll need a ride from whatever movie he's gone to with a friend.

Something that I do by waking up early--earlier than anyone else--is that I make the day my own. It started when my son was in kindergarten or 1st grade. Since his birth, I had awakened with him, as he needed. As he needed less, in trying to find time to exercise and have "me" time, I found that if I got up before him, I would have that time. And in fact, I got up mostly before my husband, too.

I usually get up and it's before everyone and I do some writing. Today, I didn't, so I have to figure out other ways to make the day my own.

Now, I'm kind of sleepy...it's the middle of the afternoon.