Emdr. Anyone Tried It? Eye Movement Desensitization And Reprocessing?

I tried it last summer, but it costs 100 dollars a session and insurance only covered it after deductible. So I stopped. Just wondering if anyone else has had this done. It seemed to work for me with my relationship with my family, very interesting what it brought up and how I feel about/view my brother now.....

It was going to be done for my PTSD but I wasn't able to speak in therapy at the time and was thought to not be stable enough for it. I have met many people who swear by it. The only thing I will say is that if there is trauma there and especially trauma that isnt fully remembered that it should only be done by a very experienced and specifically trained t. And that the preparation stage is done very carefully.

I did many sessions in 1996 - 1997 and it was VERY helpful. I used it to deal with childhood sexual abuse trauma, and it completely changed how I viewed it. One of the major revelations that came to me was that I was viewing all my flashbacks from the eyes of the three and four year old who I was at the time. Now I am bigger. An adult. I don't have to feel overpowered by someone much bigger than me, because they aren't anymore.

There were also many memories that I couldn't process myself without the therapy. Doing EMDR allowed me to finally go all the way through the memory instead of stopping and distracting myself away from it with negative behavior. Back then I was bulimic so if a memory got too overwhelming, I'd purge. By the time I finished purging, I'd have forgotten about the memory again. Working all the way through EMDR really helped me with full awareness. Once you have full awareness, you can really process things in therapy. They become not nearly as haunting.

Now I can acknowledge my abuse without becoming overwhelmed by it. I won't lie and say I don't get triggered, but things are much better than they used to be.

As Fizzle said, a very well qualified therapist is a MUST. You are in a vulnerable state while you're recalling painful and threatening memories. You want someone who can guide the session, and always give you the power to stop when you need to. You also need someone who can structure the therapy time well. You don't want to be at a bad place and then get a five minute warning that time is almost up.

I paid out of pocket to do EMDR with a psychiatrist, which ended up costing me thousands of dollars from my college fund. I did that because I had already been diagnosed with DID in 1993 (MPD back then) and I didn't trust just anyone to take me on the EMDR journey. Nowadays there are a lot more well trained therapists. EMDR was pretty new back when I did it.

I definitely recommend it. It's hard, but well worth it.

I am in it now with my counselor at school (very good counselor) and I just don't know if it is working. I have been doing it for a semester but I just can't for the life of me get into the state of imagining things by closing my eyes. Which puzzled me at first since I am artistic, creative, and have a vivid imagination. Idk, I just can't be given a scenario to think about and focus in on it. Sometimes random funny things would pop up (unrelated) in my head and it would ruin the moment. The more I move my eyes, the less I can concentrate and the angrier I get. I am very fortunate to not have to worry about financial issues but at the same time I think my issues are a lot more complex than most doctors can handle. medication wouldn't even work for me. It is discouraging.

I think my issues are a lot more complex than most doctors can handle. .

Icarus, I hope you don't mind me saying but I would definitely not do EMDR when you have complex PTSD unless the therapist is formally trained in EMDR and very experienced in using it for complex trauma.Especially if you have any memory gaps. Do you know your t's credentials in this regard? This may not apply but I think sometimes out subconscious's block what isnt right for us at that time. There can be validity behind our responses. Consider for example how much you were prepared for it before you started.

Edited by Fizzle