The Awkward Thread

afflicted

This thread should be really awkward. What are the most awkward things you've ever said or done and how did you deal with them?

I'll start off with an example from today. So my coworker takes my work cell for a minute to check something and as she hands it back to me I wrapped my fingers around hers to where she had to slide them out. I don't know what I was thinking when I did this. This could be taken a certain way and now I'm a bit triggered. It's enough to be socially awkward and to do something like that makes things a hell of a lot worse. The only way I can think to deal with it is to act like nothing happened, but I really don't want that uncomfortable feeling following me around at work. I'm embarrassed and depressed that I draw attention to myself like that.

Anyways, feel free to share something and help me out.

Edited by afflicted

I'm awkward central sometimes Afflicted! Hopefully you can try to find a light or joking way to explain it.

I've fallen about six times in the last week. Not over anything or for any reason. I just get out of touch with my body and then forget to control it properly The last one was on the sidewalk in front of a whole group of people and I was almost stationary. I fell like a tree with my head at their feet and could see them puzzled and look around to see why I fell. It was just very obviously odd.

I like correcting the situation as it happens but I missed that opportunity. I can't decide if bringing it up after the fact to explain is worth it or not. It could make things more awkward.

Teddy, what are some examples of when you say things that could be taken sexually? It's not uncommon, in my experience, to hear sexual innuendos thrown around.

Fizzle, how did you deal with falling down? I'd assume everyone laughed it off. I'd think it's funny if I fell down and the awkwardness would be short lived.

This thread is not nearly awkward enough yet, keep them coming.

Edited by afflicted

Today I said that there were no places of nature in my country that I want to protect, and I don't have any interest in them. I wouldn't cry if they didn't exist because I don't even know them to be honest, although maybe I've seen pictures of the places. But this made me look quite mean, and a few people said, "That's scary".

But I didn't mean that I don't believe in protecting nature. I am for protecting as much as possible, there is just no one particular place I care more over the other, as I have no interest in these places from an aesthetic point of view. However, I think there are much more important reasons to protect them. But I was unable to express this.

I just kept my head down and then ran out of the place as soon as I was able to. I still feel terrible.

Hmmm, I can't think of any major issues with being awkward per say, but definite moments of open mouth insert foot.

Recently I went with my best friend to an event at a place that provides services for the disabled, but it was an Italian family themed festival. Well as we are navigating around the picnic tables, she finds it very difficult to get around this gentleman going the opposition direction, and pays no mind to his service dog in a bright red vest that says "service dog". She says to me "Omg, did you see that guy? He was so rude! He wouldn't move out of my way!" Not that I was much better... I pointed out that he was blind, and the dog was trying to lead the man and she kept stepping the same direction as the dog and made some inappropriate" duh" noise as we are passing a table with several people with Downes syndrome. It wasnt aimed at them, but nonetheless it was ignorant and I will probably go to hell for it. Thought I was so smart.

This same best friend also used the "n" word, which I have never heard her say any other time, as an expletive while at a black friend's home. Wow, how do you take that one back without digging the hole even deeper!

16-bit, I also often find myself saying things in a way that can be misunderstood. It makes me want to stay silent instead of contributing to discussions.

Cattress, imagine if in those situations they actually noticed and took offense. Yikes.

Well I'm off to work soon and now I have to stare awkward in the face. Fun times.

Awkward...okay, back when I was a sophomore in university, there was this guy who I was really attracted to (and vice versa). I didn't act on it because I was already in a relationship with someone else (older than me and not part of the uni scene). I'm the type where if I am going to be with someone else, I am going to be honest and end the other relationship. Aaaaaanyway, I'd injured my left knee and had to walk around with an immobilizer and crutches. Not fun times. The aforementioned guy liked to carry my backpack for me and walk me to my next class. One day, he leaned over and kissed me. I FREAKED out. I yelled that he can't just do that and he didn't understand and all sorts of things. He was hurt, I know.

What he didn't know was that I am a survivor of child sexual abuse, so what seemed to him like a casual attempt to take the next step, caught me totally off guard and triggered me. Things were never really the same between us after that. I regret not exploring that relationship too, but that's a different story for another thread...this particular experience still haunts me and it's been 24 years. Definitely extremely awkward.

I was at my school café (Starbucks), and I was walking to go to the library, they are connected. but anyways on my way I think I see one of my friends. I approach them and let out a friendly hello with glee, and they look at me and I notice I don't know those people. I felt like an *****....

I saw a very thin woman with a bumb in her neck at a party. I thought myself so smart thinking, "That's a transsexual! I'll let her know I'm aware and then I'll show how supportive and validating I am of transsexuals".

I asked her if she was a transsexual and the look on her face turned to being horrified. I explained I just noticed her "adam's apple" and just wanted to be supportive and cool. She was not a transsexual it turned out. Oops!

I probably just made someone self-conscious about a bump in her neck for the next few years. It was an awkward party there-after and neither of us left early.

Susandris- I laughed at that. It is a horrible situation for sure for both of you guys but I feel it would be one of those mess ups one would laugh at down the years. I would feel so horrible! But this post did make me chuckle and that is rarer these days. So thank you!

Susandirs-- if she were transsexual, she might have lied about it because she didn't feel comfortable being "out". I have a few trans friends who get really uncomfortable when approached like that (when someone draws attention to the fact that they're trans); they'd rather people show support by treating them normally or avoiding that sort of conversation unless they personally bring it up. Just a thought for next time :)

My awkward moment... I was waiting in the check-out line at a grocery store and this woman had a cute reusable bag I'd never seen before. I decided to try to be cheerful and maybe make her day, so I said "I love your bag!". She looked at me kind of funny, and sounded confused when she said "...thanks?" And then I realized they were selling the exact same bags right in front of me.

At my job, there are coffee breaks at specific times, one before lunch and one after. Even though I have worked with the same guys for several years now, it still is not easy if the conversation ever focus on me. I always try to appear very self confident at work, but during those breaks I can very easily become self conscious.

I recently moved, and one of the guys helped me move my stuff. Some days before when I had packed everything ready for moving, I had somehow managed to push some laundry under the bed. When we carried out the bed, he spotted the laundry, among it some underwear which he laughed a bit about. Back at work the next week, he joked about it again in one of the breaks. And even though I know nobody really pay that much attention to it and it is just the usual joking we have at work, it really got to me. As everyone was laughing I could feel my face going so red, my embarrassment was probably written all over my face. I couldn't even begin to do the usual joke back, so I just sat there in silence, face red. Which made the whole situation kind of awkward. I was just hoping for the break to be over really soon so I could leave the break room and try to forget about it.

But as usual, I can't forget such situations.

Then there was another time when a guy at work was trying to get me to do a high five. I don't remember what it was about as it is some time ago. Anyway, me getting uncomfortable so easily in social situations, I ended up gently placing my hand on his, then attempting to push my palm forward. I don't even know what I was thinking or how I ended up doing it like that. He had a rather puzzled look on his face but thankfully didn't make anything of it. But yet another thing I can't forget.

susandirs, holy sh*t that was awkward. I couldn't help but laugh though.

Shmooey, I'm sorry that you went through that as a kid. It sounds like after your awkward moment you still had contact with the guy? Did you ever think about explaining the "freak out" to him or did you not quite trust him enough?

Icarus, at least it was an awkward moment that passes quickly. As soon as you leave it's like it never happened because you'd never see those people again.

RilkeRilke, at least you didn't ask her where she bought the bag.

Dark nights, that failed high five with a dude is just as awkward as what happened to me. It's good that he didn't make anything of it because that might have been misinterpreted as well. But hey, I've had something similar happen when I was attempting to handshake a guy and he tried to do the "broshake" where you cup your fingers and all that and I basically slid my fingers across his hand when transitioning from a normal one.

Afflicted, I have a few that I'm sure would satisfy you awkward wise but they would potentially identify me so you aint gonna hear them!

Good luck with going back into the awkward zone at work!

Edited by Fizzle

Fizzle, that's alright. Perhaps you could leave out certain details? Do you have reason to suspect I might know who you are? :shifty3: j/k

I've decided not to bring it up to my coworker. Work is definitely an awkward zone for me right now, generally speaking. It will probably be this way until I settle into the job.

I am definitely more awkward and more prone to awkward incidents when i a new. I think leaving it was the right thing. You can adjust things by future responses.

You may afflicted! You never know! My paranoia knows no limits....

One thing that happened to me a while back is when I was at a beach party with my boyfriend and friends. I was standing next my bf and did one of those more significant leg feel things couples do when its fairly dark. A few minutes later I realised my bf was standing on the other side of me and to the front. Looked carefully and it was his best friend that got the leg feel. Bf was watching and the friend was pretty quiet about it all. We all stood there looking at each other. One of those frozen awkward minutes where the second hand moves very slowly!

Edited by Fizzle