Sign in to follow this  
Caregiver72

Anyone Else On Adderall For Depression?

My psychiatrist recently added 10 mg of Adderall to my meds. He said I seemed lethargic and tired (which I am), and that Adderall would perk me up. Anyone else here on Adderall. I do not have ADD, which I believe the med is made for. I am also currently on 225 mg of Effexor and 30 mg of Remeron at night.

I used to take Adderall IR 10 mg twice a day for ADD. It worked really well and yes, gave me energy - motivation, to go out and do things. After a while I wanted to feel "great aka productive" all the time and so I went off of it. But you can split the tablets and only take 5 mg at a time, it should help.

Edited by sad_girl06

I used to take Adderall IR 10 mg twice a day for ADD. It worked really well and yes, gave me energy - motivation, to go out and do things. After a while I wanted to feel "great aka productive" all the time and so I went off of it. But you can split the tablets and only take 5 mg at a time, it should help.

Sad Girl, thanks for that info!

I have major depressive disorder and anxiety, and I was also recently diagnosed with ADHD (in 2013), so I take a good bit (60mg) of Adderall XR for that. I can see how they would use it to help with energy and motivation, I have noticed an increase in my energy levels since starting it. Still having motivation issues. But if a little bit of it helps you and doesn't make you feel jittery or any other negative side effects, I can't see the harm. It is not uncommon for medications to be used off-label (for other than their intended and approved purposes). But some insurance companies will not cover certain drugs without a definitive diagnosis of the disorder or disease that the drug is intended for. Thankfully Adderall is generic and isn't expensive at all.

But keep in mind that it is a controlled substance. I get mine through the mail, and every time I have to sign for it or go to the post office and pick it up and sign for it there. I take Xanax for anxiety, and it is also a controlled substance, but a different class. They will ship that to me without any signing requirements. My doctor also can't electronically transmit the prescriptions, I have to get a printed, signed copy, and take that to the pharmacy or mail it in. A local pharmacy also can't fill a 90 day prescription, only mail order can. I don't know if that varies state by state or if it is federal law.

If you are feeling lethargic, other options to consider are hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) and anemia (low iron). Your primary care physician can run simple blood tests to determine if those are issues.

The standard test for hypothyroidism is to test the thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) levels. The pituitary gland produces TSH. It is basically sending a signal to the thyroid gland to make more thyroid hormone. But if it is producing too much TSH, it is possible that your thyroid gland is not producing enough thyroid hormone, but your pituitary is trying like crazy to get it to make more. They would know how much thyroid hormone is in your body by testing your free T4 and free T3 levels. There is also a disease called Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, where your body is producing too many thyroid antibodies (I have this as well), and they are attacking your thyroid gland, and could be preventing it from producing thyroid. There are specific thyroid antibody tests to check for that (TPO, for example).

Here is a great page on thyroid testing.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/gettestedanddiagnosed/a/bloodtests.htm

I don't know much about anemia. You can look it up. There are a few different kinds, and different blood tests the doctor can run to see what your iron levels are.

This link seems like a good start:

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/understanding-anemia-treatment

I think it is worth looking into other options, especially if you are still feeling lethargic - it may not be 100% related to your depression. A good doctor will know what tests to run. TSH and CBC would be the main two, but they may order more if those show abnormalities or you are have specific symptoms.

Years ago I took Adderall for fatigue from the AD I was on at the time..Adderall did help w/the depression but after 3-4 months on it I became extremely irritable and just not nice...went off the Adderall those issues disappeared.

My psychiatrist recently added 10 mg of Adderall to my meds. He said I seemed lethargic and tired (which I am), and that Adderall would perk me up. Anyone else here on Adderall. I do not have ADD, which I believe the med is made for. I am also currently on 225 mg of Effexor and 30 mg of Remeron at night.

Yes I remember my doctor had mentioned this to me. Certain stimulants may help some people who suffer from depression.

I want to be on Adderall for my depression I was diagnosed 20 years ago with Major Depression disorder whe I was 13.

Ive giving up trying to have an interest in life and that depresses me even more because I want to enjoy my two children I want to be able to cook clean and do all the other things a housewife does but none of that makes me happy, so I just dont.

The depression and lathargy have taken over my life and I'm not who I used to be.

I took an adult dose of my son's adderall and it helped me a lot, I had better self esteem and got a lot done and my husband's friends who usually avoid me told him that I was more sociable and confidant. only after my husand told me whaty his friends had said and that he agrees with them, I told him I had stolen some of our son's meds and why I did it.

I see my Dr in two weeks about my pain pills (yes opiets) and am afraid that if I ask for a stimulant to treat my treatment resistant depression he wont want to give them to me because I am underweight and already on an "abusable" medication.

but after trying many different meds and talk therapy a million times over the entire course of my life. I dont want to lose the one that I found by accident that works.

Any opinions and advice will be taken to my heart. I just cant keep living like this, I need something to help me get back to the person I used to be.I miss the old me and so does everyone around me. but I'm scared.

I want to be on Adderall for my depression I was diagnosed 20 years ago with Major Depression disorder whe I was 13.

Ive giving up trying to have an interest in life and that depresses me even more because I want to enjoy my two children I want to be able to cook clean and do all the other things a housewife does but none of that makes me happy, so I just dont.

The depression and lathargy have taken over my life and I'm not who I used to be.

I took an adult dose of my son's adderall and it helped me a lot, I had better self esteem and got a lot done and my husband's friends who usually avoid me told him that I was more sociable and confidant. only after my husand told me whaty his friends had said and that he agrees with them, I told him I had stolen some of our son's meds and why I did it.

I see my Dr in two weeks about my pain pills (yes opiets) and am afraid that if I ask for a stimulant to treat my treatment resistant depression he wont want to give them to me because I am underweight and already on an "abusable" medication.

but after trying many different meds and talk therapy a million times over the entire course of my life. I dont want to lose the one that I found by accident that works.

Any opinions and advice will be taken to my heart. I just cant keep living like this, I need something to help me get back to the person I used to be.I miss the old me and so does everyone around me. but I'm scared.

I would discuss how you feel with your psychiatrist. Mine told me that adderall is prescribed for people with depression, who do not respond to anti-depressions. I took it for a while and it did help with energy, and feeling more positive. Now I am taking concerta... If it's helping you I don't see why he would object to it, but I am not a proffesional so I can't say much more. Good luck

I take adderall and it does help tremendously with the depression. I mean tremendously. My depression is really bad right now too. I'm also on Provigil and tat helps some as well.

Adderall gave me the much needed boost I needed. My increased productivity made me feel better. Adderall has to have anti-depressive properties. Started on 10mg, when that wore off, I went up to 20mg. However my doc wants me to move to Vyvanse, instead of upping to 30mg though I want to stick to the affordable and trusted Adderall.