Not Understanding The Cycle

Hey guys this is my first post on this forum but have been on others for a while. I'm 21 years old and have been dealing with derpression probably since about middle school or so. I never knew what It was until I got older and it really started to bother me I'm tired physically and mentally of it.

The question I am wondering is if anybody else has expirenced the same depression pattern as I have? I am happy, myself, talk to women, depression is literally gone and love life for a couple to a few days out of the month. Have expirenced up to about a week at one point. All in a row by the way. But always, I feel myself slowly start to sink back down into the cycle sometime, try to fight it but no matter what it always come back. I understand people have depression cycles but any related to this? I've searched and searched but haven't found anything related. I want to figure out what type of depression I have and what I can do to get rid of it. Any info really appreciated thanks.

Hi Neverquit,

My depression tends to run on a two month cycle. I will have two months of relative wellness, some bad days, but nothing too severe, and then I will fall into a consistent depression for about two weeks. I, too, have been suffering from depression since I was a kid but never really came to terms with it until my depression fell into its current cycle and I was able to recognize it for what it it.

Seeking treatment from a psychiatrist has absolutely changed my life. I am taking medication now, and although it is still a struggle, the severity of my symptoms have dropped significantly. My quality of life has increased profoundly. There is no magic pill that will take away your depression, but a well-crafted regimen can be the difference between enjoying a night out with friends and spending hours sobbing into couch cushions.

In short, I can't diagnose you because I am not a doctor, but it sounds like you have what is medically defined depression. Please seek help, at least to give yourself of peace of mind.

Stay strong.

Welcoe to DF, NeverQuit442,

Depression can run in sysles. Sometimes it's triggered by something in your personal life and sometimes it isn't. If you have the proper tools you may be able to manage your depression.With the proper mental health treatment, your life will be better. My suggestion is for you to seek out a pdoc and a tdoc. Call your health insurance plan, they can give you a list of in network providers in your area. Ask if you need a referral from your GP.

Sheepwoman

You could be dealing with bipolar II disorder. I am not a doc but was diagnosed with bipolar II awhile back. So my symptoms go from depression to elation or agitation. I can have 4 or more days of feeling really good, sleeplessness, rapid speech and expansive thoughts. I never went into treatment for hypomanic symptoms since they do not always interfere with life. The depression, on the other hand, always had serious consequences. I hope I am not telling something you already know. I did not think of myself as bipolar until my thirties even though I was diagnosed earlier. Finally, anti-depressants might cause manic like symptoms.

Hey guys this is my first post on this forum but have been on others for a while. I'm 21 years old and have been dealing with derpression probably since about middle school or so. I never knew what It was until I got older and it really started to bother me I'm tired physically and mentally of it.

The question I am wondering is if anybody else has expirenced the same depression pattern as I have? I am happy, myself, talk to women, depression is literally gone and love life for a couple to a few days out of the month. Have expirenced up to about a week at one point. All in a row by the way. But always, I feel myself slowly start to sink back down into the cycle sometime, try to fight it but no matter what it always come back. I understand people have depression cycles but any related to this? I've searched and searched but haven't found anything related. I want to figure out what type of depression I have and what I can do to get rid of it. Any info really appreciated thanks.

If it's not from something that happened in your personal life, then it must be from some form of depressive disorder. I don't know what else it could be. But that's when I would begin consulting.

Hey! I am not a psychiatrist or doctor, but it sounds like you could have major depression. Which does run cycles. I am the same way I have a couple days maybe even a week where I am feeling better but can go weeks feeling down.

This post is so interesting! I just actually just realized my cycles and am starting to understand them. I believe it is a great thing to know so I know how to prevent VERY severe depression before it manifest into something extremely ugly. Have you ever thought about recording the cycles in a journal? I actually should do that. just thought of it just now. And there you could understand triggers, or what situations make you happy and ones that don't.

Update us then!

Also when you are aware of what's going on then I believe it will be easier when going through treatment. I'm no doctor though.

Sorry for such the late responce, been extremly busy lately. Thanks for all the replies, it feels good knowing that I just don't have this "cycle" of it at least. The huge gap is just what concerned me and the ratio of good to bad. If it was the opposite way I wouldn't care! Haha. I have written them down before and tried to discover the triggers but sometimes when I'm doing nothing at all or even having a blast it's like the ball gets knocked off and here we go again lol. I tried citalopram before for about a month or 2, but then stopped. Didn't really feel a difference but should of stuck with it. But I guess I'll stop procrastinating and talk to a doctor. I know time varys with everybody and it may not be the right meds but 2HeadedBoy, do you remember how long it took to see the effects? Thats great to hear by the way, glad for you

Edited by neverquit442