Sign in to follow this  
flydragon2705

Munchausen's? Anyone Know Anything About This.

So I'm not really asking for myself. I do not have this illness. As I understand it, it is when a person makes themselves sick in order to get admitted to a hospital.

I am asking because I am pretty sure a friend has this. This friend has done extreme things many times and admits they love being in the hospital. This friend has been quite successful at making themself sick and then admitted to a hospital (many times). One thing that baffles me is somehow they are never sent to a psych ward. Might have to do with services where they live.

I am wondering if anyone knows what sort of treatment works for this? I try to be supportive as a friend but really feel like whatever I say has no impact at all. Obviously I'm just a friend and not a professional.

This may be a long shot posting about this. I am not sure how common this illness is. I have a feeling its somewhat rare.

I had one case as a social worker like your friend. I think it often goes under the radar because the health system is very geared towards the doctor treating what symptoms the patient is presenting, If you are concerned I would contact an outreach mental health organization , it's confidential. They can arrange a worker to speak to your friend candidly and offer support and treatment.

If nothing else contact the hospital and ask to speak to their resident social worker, who can likely pint you in the right direction. If you live in a rural area you may have to go to a larger city nearby, but it should still be under jurisdiction of one hospital Even if it's a city a few hrs away

Maybe me asking about this was pointless. I have this strong feeling that my friend does not really want help. A lot of times, when this friend tells me of incidents related to this, they seem to be somewhat proud of it, and just want more attention from me from telling me about it.

Well you're right it may be totally pointless, but a half decent mental health worker or social worker would challenge your friend to reconsider why they might find such behaviour rewarding and to re evaluate how much of their time energy is spent on these medical treatment seeking adventures and how it affects their relationships with family friends and work.

I know only a little about this disorder (I think the name has been changed to something else in the recent DSM V), but from all I've read about it, it seems the individual seldom if ever willingly accepts (at least initially) that their behavior is intentional (and, in fact, it could be subconscious) and it's difficult to get them treatment without the full cooperation of their medical team. I think it's really wonderful that you are looking out for your friend. I hope you are able to find some way to confront her that leads to a positive outcome for her.

rhyl

I am also looking for information for Munchausen treatment. Things have worked or even residential treatment centers... anything at all would be appreciated. Thanks.

(Not for me)

I do think I have munchausen syndrome but I did not know that it is a mental disorder. Only thing about mine is that I love being admitted to the hospital but my stuff do not be fake . I get excited when I have an ailment, I get excited when I have to make doctor appointments. Do anyone else out there have this problem? Is it some kind of disorder in the brain?