Sign in to follow this  
starkid12

I Just Told My Therapist

No, not necessarily. They are obligated to seek hospitalization for you if they believe you are an immediate threat to your safety, or the safety of others. Having thought about it before, even having made plans in the past, is something therapists hear all the time. They are pretty experienced in evaluating (based on your words and your body language/affect) whether you might be an immediate and serious threat to yourself.

I always recommend total honesty with therapists, they are better equipped to help you that way :)

I told my therapist I had a plan. She was on the verge of calling for an ambulance. I talked her out of it. She asked me to call the local psych hospital and she even gave me the number. I left and went home. She'd call me every three hours. At one point we were on the phone for several hours. She finally made me promise that I would call the hospital or she would call the sheriff to come to my house for a wellness check. Thanks to my wonderful 125# dog laying on top of me all night, I wouldn't be here. I did call the psych hospital and was admitted voluntarily. I was there for a month.

Your GP or mental health professional are obligated to get you help if you are a danger to yourself or to others. Sometimes they will call for help from their office and you will be taken to the local psych hospital or hospital for an involuntary admission (you can't leave until they say so.)

Sheepwoman