Psych Nurses Comments....

I had my appointment with my psych nurse and we had our usual chat. I told her that I needed to work as it keeps me in a routine and gives me a reason to get up in the morning. I can function ok at work (some tears !) but generally when I leave work my mood drops. She made me feel like my depression which I've had for 20+ years is made up because I can get through work. I tried to explain that I can put on the face at work but then it slips???

Does anyone else do this/ function like this? I've tried so many meds and anti psychs and am now on clomipramine. To be honest I just feel like packing it all in, I'm sick and tired of having depression and all the other stuck that goes with it. I'm too tired

Please tell me others feel like this ...

Much love x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh My Gosh, i know exactly how you feel. I was the same way. I went back to work in March and I was able to put on the "work face" while I was there but when I got home everything fell apart. My mood was low, I didn't have the energy to make myself dinner, grocery shop, any of the things required of daily living. I think my psychiatrist thought I was nuts when i told him this. I'm so glad I'm not alone! I had to go off work at the end of may as I was really deteriorating. I'm hoping to go back again soon and have better results. I'm sorry to hear you are feeling the way you are feeling, but you are not alone. Please don't give up! Are you able to take a leave from work for a bit? I wish the best for you, please keep in touch.

Thank you for the replies, I honestly felt as though I have been imagining it.

I have a husband and 2 kids so when I get home from work I'm knackered. I work with social and emotional young people who have behavior issues. I enjoy working with them and then I get home and don't stop what with making lunches for the next day, dinners, washing, taking dogs out, football runs etc etc. I do all this for other people and end up not eating myself!!

I have taken time off before but felt so guilty being off that I went back.

I have been better at one point before and that was when I was taking Prozac and olanzapine but I got lots of weight gain so had to stop and since the meds just haven't cut it :(

Thanks again for reading x

In the past I had the most astonishing ability to work regardless of symptoms. My body and mind were like a leaden weight. I had the physiological aches and pains and the tearfulness as well constant suicidal thoughts, insomnia and ruminating thoughts. I kept going because I had to. When I eventually crashed completely though I believe it caused me to be much worse. I was paranoid and seeing things and was almost catatonic. I could barely move. I would never have deteriorated to that extent if I had not pushed myself way beyond what is normal. After my last breakdown I lost the capacity though. I can longer compartmentalise to this extent. I now see it partly as an unhealthy thing and partly as a previous strength. I didn't have much regard for myself and others were much more important.Very damagingly I had a psychologist who did not believe what I was experiencing because I was able to get to work. That did me in.

I have also had periods of time when it wouldn't have been clinical depression but I was still struggling. I didn't have the physiological symptoms but it was still had to keep going. It may not have been depression in a clinical and technical sense but it was still not normal or OK and I needed to work on getting better.

Edited by Fizzle

Firsly,

I'm disguusted that a psych nurse, who should know better, has said this to you! This is a big part of the reason I do not like the system- I wonder if she's ever herself truly experienced the throws of depression? It's so easy for them to read up on what depression entails, see those who aren't functioning well, and ASSUME that in order to have bad depression, one must be able to not cope, NOT FUNCTION.

This honestly makes my blood boil. I have recently finished nursing training, and actually failed the mental health paper because I just disagree with the system so much- it's so one tracked, single minded, and has a one size fits all mentality, which we all know is bulls***.

Anyway, I digress, sorry, lol I get angry at these psych nurses.

Secondly, you are not alone! Well done for functioning despite your depression. I suffer from incredibly intense episodes of depression which generally last a year or so, and yes, they are hard to cope with, but I still manage to function, go to work, study, hang out with friends, and unless I tell people no on has any idea what i'm actually going through! So well done you for continuing to cope :)

What strategies do you have in place to lift your mood whilst not at work? Is work just so draining that you've no energy for anything else afterwards? I like hot baths, walking, nice music, lots of self love and pampering, writing, watching movies etc.

Hope this post has helped somewhat, and at the very least, helped you to realise you are not alone :)

Amanda xxx

So she is assuming that people with depression just lose their job and become homeless? Because that is basically what she is inferring. I've met some dumb nurses, but that's not really saying much.

One literally told me my depression can't be a 10, she said that level of depression was for people who were 9/11 victims.

I told her to put whatever the hell she thought a painful divorce, suicide attempt, chronic pain, and PTSD was on a piece of paper and fk off. lol, I literally said that to her and fired her from being my nurse again the next day.

Thanks dicenvice. She actually spoke a lot about herself and how she likes to do this and that...... Hello it's supposed to be about me!!!

I too have chronic back pain every day so that doesn't help the mood either. I don't think I can accept I have depression or an illness because it's invisible.

Well it's now getting late here in Scotland so I suppose I should think about going to bed! Maybe catch up tomorrow x

Seems you take your work home with you and responding to situational stressors leading to anxiety and depression. It is not easy in fields that can be emotional and deattach ourselves. You have to.be selfish and not worry about the guilt, which is difficult. You have to.find your own enjoyment.for yourself. However, you say you struggled with depression for 20 years. I can understand dealing with life stressors can make it difficult to.handle depression. I.just am curious if any point in your life you dealt with criticism and a lot of negative feedback.

I think this whole discussion speaks to the general misconceptions and stigma around depression. People think it's not real or is just pessimism or negativity unless you are so broken down that you live on the streets or have suffered some grief or trauma that is otherworldly to the point of being romanticized.

Although it's shocking to hear a psych nurse being so ill informed given that's her career path....

Reality is even severely depressed ppl can put on a stage face in front of work or even certain people consistently. Even in depression our strength can be amazing! We go along and do our best to cope even when we are at our worst.

Edited by Wrenn84

Well what annoyed me was she told me that she had suffered from depression and she did this and that, why don't i do that etc etc

I've always been aware of my depression and knew when I was slipping and when to seek help. I'm not stupid, I've tried various self help techniques.

I don't know what is going to get me through the rest of my life, I'm just too tired. Whenever I sit down to try and read, I just fall asleep! It's probably cos it go to work and "put the face on" and then I get out and it slips right back off. No one in my family talks to me about mental health so I'm basically on my own :(

Hi

I worked a bit like you - crashing at the end of the day. Lots of people with depression "get through" or even find work a release. It doesn't mean we don't have depression. Would it be possible to change worker? I did this once when the worker told me about his life in the first meeting. It was not appropriate and personally I wouldn't want to know too much about a professional working with me. (took a long time to a new worker though)

I was the same way when I was working, I held a job for 11yrs and then just couldn't anymore due to my depression and anxiety, but when I was working I was great at putting on a brave face at work. People at work didn't know I struggled with depression really.