My Psychologist Doesn't Like Psychiatrists And Doesn't Like Meds

classicmoviefan

She told me that the first session, and I've been depressed for 3 months with no improvement , apparently. She tells me to take Bach florals but I don't feel any difference when I take them. My relationship ended because of my depression, my grades are suffering, I can't concentrate and somedays I can't even force myself to take a shower. I feel very tempted to try meds. I'm not sure about the efficiency of these florals, if they only have a placebo effect it doesn't work on me.

Has any of you had any success with florals?

I'VE no experience with Bach florals. There are other herbal remedies available. Many of our members have had success using them. If you want to try other herbals, see a holistic medicine doctor, an herbalist. Check out the Posting Asking and Sharing forum further down the menu. That's where alternative treatments are located.

Some tdocs are anti-meds and will possibly steer you to herbals and such. If you want to try meds, see a pdoc or your GP. Meds have worked wonders for many people.

Sheepwoman

It concerns me a that your t's own anti -med stance could be affecting you negatively. What are your beliefs? . If staying away from meds is something you believe in strongly then that is fine. If not then I would consider getting another t who is more open minded.

Depression can take a long time to treat. Sometimes the extent of it can stop you from being able to utilise therapy or put you in danger of suicide before you manage to benefit from t. Thats what you need to consider. Especially if you have ongoing fuel for the depression such as a physical illness or an ongoing stressor or addiction. The title makes me think you are not comfortable with this.

When you click with your psychologist you will know. Mine didn't like med's as I didn't but if you're not getting better, after three month's it's time to rethink. Med's have pro's and don's but if they get you through the worst, then drop the med's but getting through somewhat intact is most important.... Small steps, etc, you can get through, try a few therapists first then see the doc....

Thank you for your feedback. She basically generalized and said psychiatrists are always pushing pills to their patients. I did think that it was better to try to recover by myself, without the aid of meds if I could, but that generalization sounded a bit irresponsible to me. I've been trying exercise(it lifts the 'fog' if I run fast enough not to think, but the effect vanishes shortly after I stop), fish oil, vitamins, and I'm still taking the florals. I'm very worried because I hardly managed not to fail my classes. I'm on vacation now, and I try to binge-watch as much as I can to avoid thinking about life. But I know I can't distract myself from life forever. When I'm alone with my thoughts the passing of time seems too slow and painful. I think constantly about suicide, research a lot about it, but I only have access to painful and not very foolproof methods. My fear of failing and end up brain damaged or something is bigger than my wish to end it, so I know I'm not going to try. But nevertheless, the thoughts, and the picturing it in my mind, are very troubling.

I think I'd better go to a psychiatrist and see how it goes.

That sounds wise to me as you do sound at serious risk. I am all for every one of us having a right to a personal choice but don't think it's professional for a psychologist to tell a patient they are anti medication. Their personal opinions have no place in the therapy room.

It may help to get stable on meds first and then work on coming off them later. Use them as a means of getting as much as you can out of therapy and work hard. Good luck with the pdoc.

Edited by Fizzle

Your psychologist isn't a medical doctor - isn't even a naturopath doctor, of whom I'm very skeptical but at least they have to go to school and get certified by a regulatory board.

Psychiatrists have to go to medical school before doing a four-year psychiatry internship. Yeah, most of them are pill-pushers and rarely help anyone get better. They do know what the drugs are supposed to do, and the risks, however.

There are psychiatrists out there who grasp there is more to mental health recovery than prescribing more medication.

Find one. And find a new psychologist. This one is irresponsible to the point I doubt she can be of any help, and could actually be harmful.