My Psych Team Is Leaving Me.

Okay, so obviously they're not doing it by choice. But there's a team of people I'm assigned to as a patient and three of them are going AWOL due to job shuffling in the health service (and one case of unpaid leave). I don't know who is coming in to replace these people. I really like these guys, they were supreme! What the heck am I gonna end up with? I'm going BALLISTIC. My counsellor encouraged me to write a letter to the department, which I did, and several other patients did. But they've got their heads up their backsides and chances are it'll make no difference. They're constantly pulling stupid cost-cutting crap like this and I live in a really really rural area and I just hope to god we don't end up with some delinquent they're shoving out to the sticks, or some guy in his twilight years approaching retirement...Ugh, who knows. Speculation will just drive me insane but I feel like the carpet's being ripped out from under me. This is so unfair! The place I live has always had one of the highest percentages of suicides in the country due to it being wildly conservative and also way out in the middle of nowhere. They beefed up the service after a spate of young women died in their care and I should've known better than to think it might last. Ugh, I don't need this! I don't blame my dudes for this, its the higher ups that are to blame. They've been playing silly b**tards with money and people's LIVES since the day the country was f***ing founded. The sick thing is that something will probably happen to a patient, they'll get in s**t with the public and only then will they get their *******ed act together, and at that, only temporarily.

Some days...just...ugh...I don't even know what I'm writing all this down for. There's bugger all I can do about it, but it's absolutely breaking my heart. Its hard to feel worth something when some grey-faced ******* in a board room somewhere thinks its fine to f**k around with your life. Its just that things were going so well...

That's why bureaucracy fails, its like - We need a budget cut. But we forgot what happened last time we slashed this. Lets do it again and figure it all out over again. I actually think there is typically less thought put into budget cuts than that. Color me biased.

Edited by Dicenvice

I agree with consistency in care and the difficulty of changing of the guard so to speak. Respecting boundaries as people with mental health issues trust is one of our.greatest faults. When we do find. A team that we can trust it creates excellent and healthy therapy. Best of luck were here to support you.

I'm sorry this is happening to you, but as these people are no longer going to be working with you in a professional capacity surely they won't mind staying in touch with you in a personal way if you ask them?

You never know you might get suprised and be assigned another great team, and if not well then you need to remember what you learnt from your last team and what they did to help you that worked and tell your new team. Its your care so they have to listen to you

I'm sorry this is happening to you, but as these people are no longer going to be working with you in a professional capacity surely they won't mind staying in touch with you in a personal way if you ask them?

I don't think this is possible. As far as I understand it, mental health professionals aren't supposed to befriend former clients. It violates ethical boundaries.

Edited by afflicted

Thanks for the replies, guys, it helps knowing my outrage is, er, not overblown.

To be honest, if I can't see these people in a professional capacity then, well they're not really of much use to me anyway...but I've had so many changes and this is the first time I've had a team I really got on with and seemed to understand and listen. This is the first time treatment has been remotely successful (and boy has it been successful), and I'm just....I feel like its too soon to have these supports messed with, ya know? I'm doing well at the moment, but its only been a month or two and its off the back of doing really really badly for a very long time. I'm just afraid of what happens now...It really knocks me off my perch when I encounter someone I can't establish a rapport with, or someone too clinical or cold. Especially since its someone with whom I'm going to be doing a lot of sharing. I'm slightly terrified this momentum is going to be halted because I've got to adjust to this new human, or if I have a bad initial experience I have a habit of shutting down. I just wish there was a way of easing into this instead of this abrupt chop and change...just one day there's a stranger sitting in my doctor's chair and I've got to somehow pick up where I left off with another person?

I'm just...terrified.

I'm really so sorry about this. I have kind of an idea of how scared you must feel - my psychiatrist, who I have been seeing for 15 years, just dropped me. No warning, no discussion, just sent me a letter and said I couldn't come anymore because I wasn't keeping up on payments to the center where he works. Well, he was actually misinformed, and the way he handled the whole thing was grossly unprofessional and unethical, but that's a whole 'nother story. The point is, I can't imagine *anybody* being able to manage my meds like he did, because I have such a complicated and long history, and it leaves me feeling completely hopeless and...like you said, terrified.

I really haven't decided how I'm going to handle it yet, but one thing I might suggest is to try not to shut down. As painful as it may be, try to let yourself feel what you're feeling. It might feel worse at first, but it will pass and it will be better in the long run than trying to shut off your feelings. And when you do get someone new, try to be honest. You never know. I've heard of some people who lose a wonderful therapist and end up getting somebody better.

Best to you!

rhyl

Edited by rhyl

Perhaps another perspective to take on this would be to look at the change as an opportunity, rather than a setback. In my years of depression, i have learnt that I can't control and therefore don't worry about anything that happens around me. I can, most of the time anyway, control whether i will react to the actions of others or not. I'm not trying to diminish how you believe you feel right now, merely providing an alternative strategy to help you get through this. Good luck...

Oh dear. That is a big one. No wonder you are struggling with it. One part of the team changing is difficult enough and especially if you have a history of finding it difficult to build rapport and a tendency to shut down.

I think what I would do is make as big a noise as possible now. Clearly log the situation so that people know there is a clear record and they can be held accountable. There is not one person in my life that knows about me mental health but if you are open enough even consider the press or tv. I would also think which part of the team is the most important and what type of person I need and send a letter off about that too.

It is unlikely to stop them but will hopefully remind these "people" (ha) that they are responsible for your wellbeing and you never know... .

I would also log as much as is possible where you now are for your own reference. What has helped and what hasn't. Something to refer to if your stability goes. I find it hard to think clearly once I hit a wobble and like to have a map to try to find my way back.

Then I would do all I can to try to stop this from getting me. You doing a great job to start as you are expressing your emotions. i hope you can pull out all the stops to prevent a backslide. You might be surprised with yourself.It's a lot easier to stay in a good place that to get there.

Rhyl that's unbelievable. I feel the same way about my guy, he was just so particular and very in tune with how I reacted to things. He was very attentive and we got on really well, which was so surprising because I have major trust issues regarding men, its really a testament to his manner that he even managed to get me to sit in a room with him. In my case I at least know that its not his choice to move on, in your case...well I can only say how appalled I am at how you're being treated. That is a hideous situation and I hope you get a speedy resolution. I don't know how I'd react to that, I'd feel so completely betrayed.

Fizzle, the team told all the patients to start a ruckus, but a lot of them are older folks and still have old notions about their mental health...I'd love to walk straight into a national newspaper and give them the low-down, but I don't want to risk another person's privacy. It's twice as sickening because even though there's the odd person that doesn't care who knows, like me, most patients are so vulnerable because they're walking around keeping it a secret. It makes them easy targets because they won't complain out loud. Its so sad. I'm trying to keep my head straight, but I'm such a naturally reactive person I'm always second guessing myself in case I go off and do something untoward or stupid. I did send off all my complaints though, we'll just have to see if it gets their attention...I have a meeting or two left with my counselor before she goes off on leave (unpaid leave that no one is covering...she's actually considering seeing me and one or two others every fortnight in spite of the fact she's not even being paid), I might ask her if it would be possible to get a face to face meeting with one of these morons making these daft decisions. I'm actually a fairly good speaker...It'd scare the crap out of me, but I wouldn't mind doing it for a good cause...if I'm angry enough usually that gets me through. :P

I'm a lot less scared now, after a night's sleep, and after reading all this support from you folks. You're great! Right now I'm just hella mad about the whole thing...its one instance where bureaucratic nonsense might literally be the death of someone. It's so sick.