Sign in to follow this  
starkid12

My Anxiety Is Up Now

My therapist is on vacation.... She said she was available by text ... When she is gone....I texted her about my anxiety a couple days ago....and she said she couldn't text me then cause her phone was running out of battery... So she said she would text me the day after... But she didn't..,.. Then I texted her a couple hours ago....to confirm My appointment .... For when she's back... And she still hasn't texted me.... So I jumping to worst case for her not texting me .....

And now I'm having more anxiety... Because I'm worried about my car.... Its about 50miles off of 200,000 miles... So I'm worried about ... Getting a new car ... How can I afford it???... What will happen if it breaks down and no one can find me... (I have general anxiety disorder)

Hey!

Anxiety sucks, I know because I feel the same way, those nagging thoughts that keep coming back and running over and over again in your head driving you crazy. That would be hard to go through with your therapist because she told you should would be available via text, but too she is on vacation and may be busy with family or friends, which I know it is hard when you have anxiety and thoughts keep at you.

I can also understand your anxiety with your car, because I used to do the same thing when I would hear a noise, I would drive myself nuts with all the "What ifs" but you are going to drive yourself crazy if you keep giving into the nagging thoughts.

Sometimes when I have nagging thoughts I try to think about positive things like for example with your problem, cars will last longer than 200,000 miles, just because your car is going to reach 200,000 miles does not mean it is going to conk out tomorrow. If you need a new car for some reason because it conks out, is there public transit where you are? Or people who can give you a ride some places until you can afford to get another car or save for a down payment for a new car? With the what happens if it breaks down and nobody finds you, do you have a cell phone that you can use should that happen? Do you drive in areas that are deserted that often?

I know all will be okay, it is just hard when we have these nagging thoughts! But try not to give into them because it will only make you feel worse!

Idk about public transportation.....My dad could drive me ... I have a cell.. I'm worried about not being able to be found.... Because I'm bad with directions... And road names.... The car is 10 miles away for 200,000miles... I think my anxiety got really bad in the car. .. I felt like I couldn't breath .....

Today I think I may have had a panic attack.... My anxiety was way up because of my car.... When I was driving I felt like I couldn't breathe.... I got light headed.... And chest pains .... Not so sure if it was a panic attack

My advice is to learn coping skills to deal with anxiety and NOT become dependent on your therapist. Deep breathing and positive thinking helps. Also check out the book The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne. I like to take baths with lavender essential oil because it's calming and relaxing.

For me personally when I am on vacation I do not want to be contacted for work things. We all need time away for ourselves. Your therapist is probably busy with her family.

With your car you are thinking "what ifs" and you are worried about the future. Most of what we worry about does not happen. Yes you will eventually need a different car and so will everyone else.

Take life one day at a time. It's much easier to manage when I am not thinking about my past or the future.