Sign in to follow this  
flasquish

Effexor ( Venlafaxine ) Success Story

I've now been on Venlafaxine ER for 3 months now, 2 months at 150mg and 1 month at 225mg. I absolutely am impressed with this anti-depressant. All of my disorders are well controlled and I'm able to be around people again, my biggest challenge for many years. I have a full range of emotions, there is no emotional numbness and my libido is mostly unaffected. I have energy that I did not think would be possible. For more than 20 years, I would sleep anywhere from 10 to 12 hours a day. After 2 months on this medication, I get 4 to 6 hours of sleep a day and have energy and feel vital. There are many negative stories on the internet about this anti-depressant and anti-depressants in general. This seems to be the norm, if it doesn't work, negative information will be reported. But when it does work, usually not a sound. I am so glad that I researched all classes of anti-depressants and had the courage to just give them a try. I have never felt this good my entire life. I hope if anyone is suffering and is scared to go with this type of therapy, to have a real conversation with your doctor about the benefits and risks involved with anti-depressants. Making yourself knowledgeable about all of them will help you make an educated decision and hopefully less trial and error with your selection.

That is really great news James(Flash)! I agree that not enough success stories can be found with ADs in general. Effexor has always been my AD of choice even though I have gone on a merry go round these last handful of years, with coming back to Effexor a couple of years ago being a much needed route in getting myself back to where I was for quite a while during my first stint. Now, I have decided that the Abilify I have been taking to augment for the last couple of years has been more detrimental(that's just ME) than helpful. I have weaned down to 2.5mg daily and see my PDoc in a couple of days with the intent to get a new script that will help me slowly wean off of it for good. I, like you sleep way too much and have been since taking Abilify. That never happened to me while taking Effexor for years prior to the Abilify, so I am convinced it is the culprit.

Very glad to see your post James(Flash). Keep us posted!

James,

Glad the Effexor is working for you! I have now been on 225 mg of Effexor for three weeks, and feel a litttle better. Nothing dramatic yet. I have been living under some duress at home. My dad was diagnosed with liver cancer in Feb, and has been putting alot of pressure on me for every general thing. I live with him, so there is no exscape. Hope I start feeling a litttle better soon!!!