Sign in to follow this  
Caregiver72

Week 4 On Effexor

Hi Caregiver72,

I've been on this medication for about 10 weeks now. I was on 150mg for 8 weeks and went up to 225mg 2 weeks ago. I was previously on Sertraline for 6 months so I really didn't have a tough time, my controlled results from Sertraline went right into my Effexor. I did notice after 2 weeks at 150mg Effexor that it started to work and my docotor wanted me to wait 2 months at this dose before increasing. You may still have improvements without having to go up in dose. My doctor likes for me to give a good 2 month trial before making a decision to increase. Ask your doctor what they think you should do. Have you not had any improvement at all 4 weeks in? If not, you may need to increase. But if you had some improvement, try waiting a bit longer to see if you need an increase or not.

James,

Thanks for the reply! At just the half way point going on 4 weeks, I don't feel any better on 150 mg of Effexor. I was on Paxil for years, which worked. I was on 20 mg of Paxil for maintanance for about 15 years, up until my last depression episode in Feb. I went up to 30 mg of Paxil, and didn't have much improvement, so the doctor put me on Effexor. I should have gone up to 40 mg of Paxil, before I was put on Effexor - that might have worked?

Your doctor probably switched thinking Effexor would work better because it's an SNRI. I like this medication class better than the SSRI because it will help with norapenphrine as well as serotonin at 150mg and higher. I definitely can feel the difference. Sertraline controlled my disorders well, but I notice my emotions are felt more with Effexor. I went up to 225mg because I really wanted the benefits of both neurotransmitters to give me a boost and I do have to say, I think this is happening. Since you don't feel any better, maybe you could ask to go up in dose now instead of waiting it out. I did feel something at the 2 week mark so my doctor told me to wait. I hope you'll find the same effectiveness I have found with this medication. For my first 2 months, I was on the immediate release formula just in case if it was too much, I could split the pills to take a reduced dose, you can't split the extended release capsules. I went with the extended release capsules when I went up to 225mg and it is slowly adjusting. One thing I did read about this medication is that the extended release formulation is approved for more disorders than the immediate release tabs strangely, because it's the same medication. But this med was approved to control more disorders with the ER formulation and I'm glad I'm on it.

Edited by flasquish

Your doctor probably switched thinking Effexor would work better because it's an SNRI. I like this medication class better than the SSRI because it will help with norapenphrine as well as serotonin at 150mg and higher. I definitely can feel the difference. Sertraline controlled my disorders well, but I notice my emotions are felt more with Effexor. I went up to 225mg because I really wanted the benefits of both neurotransmitters to give me a boost and I do have to say, I think this is happening. Since you don't feel any better, maybe you could ask to go up in dose now instead of waiting it out. I did feel something at the 2 week mark so my doctor told me to wait. I hope you'll find the same effectiveness I have found with this medication. For my first 2 months, I was on the immediate release formula just in case if it was too much, I could split the pills to take a reduced dose, you can't split the extended release capsules. I went with the extended release capsules when I went up to 225mg and it is slowly adjusting. One thing I did read about this medication is that the extended release formulation is approved for more disorders than the immediate release tabs strangely, because it's the same medication. But this med was approved to control more disorders with the ER formulation and I'm glad I'm on it.

James,

Thanks again for that information! I am going to call my doctor tomorrow and see if he thinks I should jump up to 225 mg on the Effexor. I hope it works, as I haven't been feeling good for quite some time.

Bill

Today; the doc gave me the ok to go to 225 mg on Effexor. I hope this increase makes a difference. If not; I may have to do TMS therapy, which isn't cheap - about 10K! I don't know what other meds that are good, which he may switch to?

Try to stay with the mindset this going to work. When you don't feel well, it's easy to miss improvements. You have to try to relax and let the med do it's job. Effexor is pretty good as far as I'm concerned. 225mg seems to do the trick for me. Try and be patient, these meds take a while but it's worth the wait.

Try to stay with the mindset this going to work. When you don't feel well, it's easy to miss improvements. You have to try to relax and let the med do it's job. Effexor is pretty good as far as I'm concerned. 225mg seems to do the trick for me. Try and be patient, these meds take a while but it's worth the wait.

James,

I'll take your advice. I wish I could relax more, but neing an only child caregiver for your aging parents - that's pretty hard to do!

Yes it is......I cared for my mother in the end of her life and had to drive 75 miles one way for a long time. Your health is very important too. Caring for your parents is such a wonderful gift to give them in their need. I send you my strength, patience and energy.

Yes it is......I cared for my mother in the end of her life and had to drive 75 miles one way for a long time. Your health is very important too. Caring for your parents is such a wonderful gift to give them in their need. I send you my strength, patience and energy.

James,

Thanks for the words of encouragement, It helps alot!

Regards,

Bill