Sign in to follow this  
starkid12

2 Therapist

I have 2 therapist... I just started looking for a therapist to help me with my add and self cutting.... is it normal to have 2? One is always booked.. so I can't get in if I need an emergency appointment.... one has more open time

Hi there - I don't know about your billing question re insurance, but I have used two therapists in the past for the same reason - that the one didn't have time for me. It is easier with one in that you don't have to repeat yourself - however If you want both therapists to be aware of the other, you can always give them permission to speak directly and perhaps reduce that need for repetition. You might also find that going forward your "more available" 2nd therapist is also as good as the 1st less available one, and want to eventually switch to them solely. If you don't have problems with the insurance company, I say go for it - if the arrangement of two doesn't meet your needs after all, you can always stop one of them.

Sometimes therapists worry about giving conflicting advice, if they know you have more than one of them - but if you are clear that you will let them know if you are receiving mixed messages, you can address the issue right away. Two therapists also gives you an extra point of view and opinion on how you might be able to make positive changes in your life.

Edited by Thimble

I have a psychologist and a psychiatrist. I do most of my therapy stuff with the psychologist and my med stuff with the psychiatrist, although the psychiatrist likes to talk some, too. I don't think I'd like to have 2 therapists - as it stands now, I try to limit what I tell the psychiatrist to very basic stuff. I have a hard time trusting people with very personal things, and so I reserve the "heavy" personal and private things for my psychologist.

I pay my psychologist each time I see him (although some sessions are no charge) - he doesn't take insurance and doesn't bill. My psychiatrist's office sends a claim to my insurance just about the same day as my appointment and I end up getting a bill from the office about a month later.

I like them both... and I seemed to "click" with both..... one seems more focused on my ADHD... and the other one more on the reasons why I self harm and my depression

Interesting situation, glad it works for you. I know that when I wanted to see a therapist specifically for my anxiety (which turned out to be a bust), my therapist said I couldn't see both of them at the same time. After one too many grueling sessions I had to call her back and get my appointments back, ugh.

I feel like I might just pick one therapist to go to... The one I'm thinking about not going to anymore... We only seem like we just talk she hasn't given me tools to help me yet....I have been going there for 5 weeks... The other one has told me that I have general antxity disorder.... And she has givin me some stuff to see if it helps... But she is going on vacation next week so I'm not going to see her for 2 weeks.... She said I can still text her if something happens.... So idk if I want to drop the second one yet... Idk

I think you are leaning towards staying with the one who also happens to be going on vacation? Even with texting, maybe keep the other one on board until the preferred therapist returns...just so you have support in her absence.

What would you miss with the one you are thinking of stopping seeing? I sense a bit of hesitation - is it more than just the other one going on vacation - is there something there as well that still has benefit for you? Does having a sounding board, someone to talk to and hear you help, even if tools with how to cope with the things you are discussing haven't been provided during the discussions?

Yes I want to stick with the one going on vacation...I think it because the one is going on vacation... I haven't been going to therapy to long.... and I'm worried if I stop cause she on vacation I might not want to go back..

I don't think I'm going to miss anything if I stop going to the other therapist .... because I don't feel like those sessions are going anywhere....

I also don't know how to tell the one I want to stop.... that I want to stop.... I'm worried about hurting her feels

I think youve done a great job working through this and your reasoning seems sound. Is the one you have chosen the one that is more available? If she is then that is an easy in road. You can just say you think it would be better to stick to one. You might even be able to make an arrangement to see this t in the future when the other goes on holiday. Therapists understand that personal fit helps therapy and they should be able to deal with it so don't worry about this. This is about your therapy and recovery. Your t is responsible for herself.

Edited by Fizzle

No the one I want to keep, is the one that doesn't have time for emgerancy appointment.... But I can for the most part always get her on the phone (text or call)

Yeah maybe I'll keep the other one as a back up... Like if the other one goes on vacation

Thanks everyone

Well if I remember then she is your original t and the other one only started because t1 wasn't always available. You can just say to t2 that it has been v helpful to have someone when t 1 is not available but you have decided you will be better off if try to do as much as possible with one t for continuities sake. Would she be willing to still see you when T 1 is on hol.

Can you ask t1 for a standard set appointment the same time and day each week?

Good luck!