Sign in to follow this  
henley

Drinking And Lexapro

Has anyone experienced anxiety spikes the day after drinking alcohol? I'm having one out of the blue right now and the only thing I can think of that I did differently was drink last night/ a couple times last week

Feeling a little scared :/

When I was on Wellbutrin, it lowered my alcohol tolerance and make drinking more euphoric but it subsequently caused a lot of dysphoria and angst the day after. I think this is a pretty normal phenomenon.

You have nothing to be scared of; just like a hangover this will pass.

Yes, I take Lexapro, and if I drink alcohol then I feel depressed or anxiety the following day.

technically alcohol and lexapro have no interaction (they don't enhance/decrease the effect of each other). i was a regular drinker on lexapro and quit 2 years ago. it is safest not to drink because regular drinking in itself CAN cause depression and interfere with your treatment. causal non-binge drinking should be OK. if you are feeling uncomfortable right now, it will pass.

I don't take lex, but 40mg citalopram and 25mg elavil. I drink regularly a glass or two of alcohol or a alcohol or two and no issues. I have noticed that if I drink more than that, I get drowsy sooner, but I don't feel any effects the next day.

I've drank before on lex with no problems...maybe it's catching up to me? Thanks for your replies y'all :)

I drink every night I take 10mg of lex and I don't notice any issues or differences since I started taking the medication... I get extremely tired some days but that happened before... as far as depressed I 98% am not depressed while taking my normal dosage of lexapro regardless if I drink or do not.

I have always been advised not to consume alcohol while on Lexapro. Alcohol is also a depressant, which seems like the last thing anyone taking Lexapro really needs...

I have always been advised not to consume alcohol while on Lexapro. Alcohol is also a depressant, which seems like the last thing anyone taking Lexapro really needs...

alcohol is a CNS depressant. that is not the same as causing clinical depression. CNS depressant means it slows down heart beat and breathing. the former is physiological, the latter an emotional lability.

Edited by Rahul

henley,

Think the best thing to do right now is to try to get the alcohol out of the system. Go for a long walk/run/swim/cycle, followed by a shower. Then throw a whole load of fruit, yoghurts and milk into the blender. It won't get rid of it totally but will tire you out and get rid of the toxins.

Definitely Lex reduces the tolerance levels which is why gotta be a lot more careful (but gotta live too).

henley,

Think the best thing to do right now is to try to get the alcohol out of the system. Go for a long walk/run/swim/cycle, followed by a shower. Then throw a whole load of fruit, yoghurts and milk into the blender. It won't get rid of it totally but will tire you out and get rid of the toxins.

Definitely Lex reduces the tolerance levels which is why gotta be a lot more careful (but gotta live too).

I agree if it causes you problems don't drink... but I don't think that happens to everyone... me for example. I think there are also some natural cures for this like Kava which in my experience works great!