Sign in to follow this  
sunmicroman

Do Antidepressants Actually Work?

1 hour ago, sober4life said:

That's why pills are unacceptable to me.  Without the pills I have a sex drive that is constantly on full tilt all day every day.  With pills I feel like I am turned into a neutered pet.  I will never choose that.  Why would I choose that?

Agreed.

The pills we are speaking on are a treatment, not a cure. That's how they make money off you. If you don't NEED them stay away from them because there are sneaky little side effects that people with an agenda want you to have to make you easier to exploit. It lends credence to the saying, we are over-medicated and undereducated with an unhealthy level of "schooling".

2 hours ago, sober4life said:

That's why pills are unacceptable to me.  Without the pills I have a sex drive that is constantly on full tilt all day every day.  With pills I feel like I am turned into a neutered pet.  I will never choose that.  Why would I choose that?

To some that's actually appealing, lol.  I'd give anything to get rid of my sex drive, nothing good ever came from it, just a lot of frustration and overspending... Been on tons of different ADs and none affected my sex drive in any way, figures!

I have lot's of issues.  First of all I'm an addict.  When you're an addict your sex drive never decreases like with a normal person.  You feel like you're a teenager in that aspect as long as you're drawing breath in this world.  Plus with my other issues who really knows what is going on with me as far as hormones go.  It's very doubtful that my hormones are where they should be.  You're right though it is a nightmare in many ways.

They never did anything for me except destroy my sex drive. Apparently they work for some. Taking those very dangerous pills is playing Russian roulette with your brain chemistry. Some people are driven to suicide by SSRIs. 

Edited by One More Red Nightmare

I'll be honest I have never been suicidal in my life until I got involved with psychiatry.  After I started taking medication and finding out for the most part I was just being used and abused I was suicidal on a regular basis.  The worst mistake I ever made was getting "help".  Now I have a diagnosis so any day I have what others consider a bad day can get me incarcerated for weeks months even forever really.  I'm not really sure how people are treated with depression in this world but I do know how people with schizophrenia are treated.  I would be treated better if i was an alien captured from outer space.

Antidepressants saved my life. Without them, I wasnt able to function. I couldn't go to work. I couldn't even concentrate to read a book or even a magazine!

Its true that some don't work. Some work on one person and not another. We are all individuals and our bodies react differently. I am not hollow inside. I agree is can dull certain things, but it can also help many, many people to get through the worst thing I could ever imagine.  

I wouldn't wish depression on my worst enemy!!!

That's horrible sober - I can't imagine, but my heart is with you. There was a show with Erik McCormack  called Perceptions that I liked. If only that was closer to reality. There's a site about him participating in a panel session on mental illness at a Saks Institute lecture covering the complexity of people with schizophrenia: [Eric McCormack joins panel on mental illness | USC News]

On the anti-depressants ... only bad results for me. But then I was finally diagnosed with Bipolar and on the right types of meds. Not sure about causation, but my mind is not what it used to be.  

Edited by KidSurvivor2011
External links prohibited