Sign in to follow this  
sunmicroman

Do You Have Hope?

Whenever I have been depressed I have always tried to keep having hope.

But, after seeing some of the posts on here, it seems some really don't or have struggled for years with this disease.

How do you guys keep getting hope? Does reading threads on here inspire you or make you feel worse? Sometimes reading the threads make me feel worse. I mean it means something to know others go through this too, but it really isn't comforting.

Sorry that this happens to you. It happens to me sometimes too. I usually find springs of hope here and when I do not find hope, I find a sense of solidarity. I feel less alone and isolated. It helps me somehow. Of course I have times of very dark darkness too.

I am almost 60 now and having had a history of the transitory nature of those periods of darkness gives me another kind of hope too. It is very hard to explain though. I hope things get better for you!

sun,

It is down to each and everyone's individual's attitude. As Milton stated ..."The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..” I am not saying that everyone should snap out of it, but it is a fact that the notion of hope is really dependent on perspective.

Yes, there are points in saying "what is the point?". Can we all somehow see some hope at those points ... no! But through helping each other we can sometimes just be there to give a helping hand to those slipping into the abyss. Its tortorous but that is why we must be there for each other ... one day, I be the one with hope, the next it is you

Hi Sunmicroman

I find the posts on here can inspire me. There have been times when I have found them hard and I have sometimes stopped visiting for a while, or mainly just read replies to my own topics. The other thing I do is go to the cafe and join in some of the threads there. If you do want to continue using DF for company you could just use that section and the Water Cooler for a while.

Given the fact I no longer have any living family as my parents are deceased as is my wife of 31 years who passed away 14 months ago I take each day as it comes and things are getting better for me. Neither my parents nor my wife would want me to spend the remainder of my life in sadness and misery. I miss my wife very much and she would want me to live a long, healthy and happy life which is what I try to do and by doing so I honour her. I suffer from clinical depression and from grief related depression. Some days are very challenging and difficult but I make it through them and do so on a minute by minute basis. My best friend is a physician (not mine) and she has been there for me for many months and I love her for it. I give her my unconditional love and support. If I were to give up it would break her heart and I cannot do this to her. We are not intimate and will never be yet I love her very much as we have adopted each other as family. It's good to have someone so close and dear to my heart and she does keep me going and she does help give me hope. That's how it goes for me.

Edited by CraigB

Hello!

I have found that my hope cannot be based solely on being healed of my depression and anxiety but, that it should be based on the fact that the bout of depression that I am in at the time WILL pass. It does not cause instant relief, but it gives me hope in those times

For myself, I often struggle with hope when I am in a rut. I have found though that I lack hope because I can't see through the fog that surrounds times of darkness. The fact is though, it will always pass! Whether or not you believe in Christ is not necessarily pertainant to this topic, but the Bible often says "it came to pass". Even if you do not believe in the Bible, there is a lot of encouragement in those words! Everything comes, and everything eventually goes away. This includes your bout of depression and lack of hope! Once I am able to see over the "fog", I realize that once the fog passes, my life, achievements and goals will continue and I will survive.

That is what works best for me :)

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, I try and hold out hope and I am a Christian. My problem is I see so many on here that seem to feel hopeless and it makes me feel like that too. I mean, I can feel that way without reading the threads, but I need some inspiration. My depression is pretty bad right now and I need hope that it can and will pass eventually.

It has in the past, but I need to know it will now. I also fear that taking medicine will prolong natural remission, but I can't live with the depression for that long, so I will probably continue to take medicine. It's just the side effects are so difficult to endure.

My wife and my kids are my hope too. They keep me going even when I feel like giving up. I just wish I wasn't so depressed so I could give them more and really enjoy their company and interaction.

Hello!

I have found that my hope cannot be based solely on being healed of my depression and anxiety but, that it should be based on the fact that the bout of depression that I am in at the time WILL pass. It does not cause instant relief, but it gives me hope in those times

For myself, I often struggle with hope when I am in a rut. I have found though that I lack hope because I can't see through the fog that surrounds times of darkness. The fact is though, it will always pass! Whether or not you believe in Christ is not necessarily pertainant to this topic, but the Bible often says "it came to pass". Even if you do not believe in the Bible, there is a lot of encouragement in those words! Everything comes, and everything eventually goes away. This includes your bout of depression and lack of hope! Once I am able to see over the "fog", I realize that once the fog passes, my life, achievements and goals will continue and I will survive.

That is what works best for me :)

How do you cope? Do you take medicine?

I take Zoloft and Lamictal (as well as hydroxyzine recently).

I find that the only way I can cope is through discussing my feelings and thoughts, trying to look into my future and see all of the things that I can become and the experiences I have yet to have, as well as through what I said in my previous post, it will pass and I will feel better. If not in a few hours, a few days. Even if not then, I know that the darkest parts are never permanent!

My hope comes from Jesus, and during my darkest times I rely on praying to him and remembering his promises, that he won't give me more than I can bear, that all things work together for good, that he has a purpose and a plan for my life, which includes this time of suffering. He knows the plans he has for me, and I try to trust that he won't leave me this way.

Mine too. Always has been. Just don't feel Him as much through this depression.

I underwent Christian counselling on an intensive weekly basis for 7 months after my wife died and I found it most helpful. You can do it either with or without prayer. Also talking to one's clergy can be most helpful. Meds, counselling and prayer...it's all good.

sun,

It is down to each and everyone's individual's attitude. As Milton stated ..."The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..” I am not saying that everyone should snap out of it, but it is a fact that the notion of hope is really dependent on perspective.

Yes, there are points in saying "what is the point?". Can we all somehow see some hope at those points ... no! But through helping each other we can sometimes just be there to give a helping hand to those slipping into the abyss. Its tortorous but that is why we must be there for each other ... one day, I be the one with hope, the next it is you

@stonium...I would say this is nicely worded, but it's not, it's perfectly worded!

Hope is NOT crazy.....depression makes our thoughts sick. When I catch myself losing hope I just remember whatever my problems are I still have a lot of things to be grateful for that people happier than me don't have, and they haven't given up yet, so how can I?

Hi sunmicroman, I know what you mean about not being able to feel Him. I guess I can feel His presence more during times of blessing, when I know His hand is upon me. During the dark days, I often find myself wondering if He cares, and if He does, then why doesn't He help me. Problem is, the Christian life was never meant to be free from suffering, and I believe that He uses these hard, hurting times for His glory, and our sanctification, and so that we can be a blessing and a help to others when we are healed. Seems hard to wrap your mind around right now, I know. I'm having a pretty hard day myself with the depression. Read Psalm 40. I love some of the imagery, about how He hears our cry, and lifts us up out of the miry pit, and sets our feet on the ground. God is good.

My problem is with my depression I do not feel Him much anymore. I know it's the depression, but it still hurts.

It isn't His fault, I just wish He'd heal me. I am so tired of not being able to feel much.

I have very little hope left when I'm feeling good and none at all when I fall down. Plus every time I do fall down, I lose a little piece of it so I guess eventually there won't be any left.

As for reading the forums, I find that giving others support makes me feel better. Some people face issues that I have worked through, thought about or have insight that I can share. Sometimes I give advice that I should be following myself. Expressing that kind of advice allows me to structure my thoughts and is a way of repeating it to myself as well.

Sunmicroman,

I don't remember how I found hope again when I was young and didn't have a child. Maybe it was because I survived surgeries and accidents that were seemingly unsurvivable so I thought there must be a reason I survived. Like you I've had depression in bouts. Having gotten through to the other side before does help one have hope that there will be the other side again.

For me personally, I have to avoid some threads, and sometimes I have to take time away from all of them. Other times I can read and maybe be helpful, but hopefully be supportive. Sometimes a thread helps me. We each have to find our own way of being here on DF.

Through the difficult challenges I've faced recently, in my darkest times, it is my daughter that kept my spark of hope alive. I am really all she has and I want her to have the best life she can and me taking myself out of her life would not serve that purpose.

I hope you find the balance here that works for you. And I believe that you can make it through to the other side again. I know the meantime is frustrating, but use whatever tools seem to work for you.

Best Wishes.