I've Felt Normal For The Past Few Days... I Have A Job Interview.

Cyberpunk

These past few days have been a roller coaster for me. Extreme elation coupled with serious bouts of anxiety. I haven't worked for a year. Not because I couldn't find a job, but I simply had no motivation to get out of my room to live my life. Well, this past year has taken its toll so I decided to do something to save my life.

Last week I decided to work on a resume and a cover letter. I sent it off to a good company and was told that I passed the initial review, but I had to take an assessment before I could progress. It was a math test designed to assess my analytic and problem-solving skills. Eeek! My anxiety got the better of me at that point and I decided to put it off. I was pressured by a friend to take it, so I did, and then a day later I learned that I passed my test, and I can proceed onto a phone interview! If I pass the phone interview, I have an interview in person, and then hopefully, the position.

I've been elated. First, because I passed a math test, which was never my strong suit in college. And also because it offers a good starting salary with full benefits and an annual bonus program. Getting the job would really help alleviate my feelings of worthlessness a bit. But of course, I'm extremely anxious about it. I still haven't been scheduled for my interview yet. I check the status of my application constantly and it still says, "A phone interview will be scheduled." Should I send them an email? I'm really worrying they may be deciding against me. Maybe they looked at my test again and realized they made a mistake. Or maybe they looked at my resume and cover letter and decided they didn't like it after all. This anxiety is ******* me. I really hope I get it. It will help me to feel normal again.

After reading so many posts on this forum I've really found it a help to read or people going through similar bad times. It's also equally great to read positive ones. Congratulations!! I hope everything goes well. It's great that you decided to take a major step forward.

Congratz! Ya I think u should phone or email them regarding when the phone interview is scheduled and how u can prepare for it.

Also try googling the company name and 'phone interview' u might get some info.

Prepping for the interview will help your anxiety I'm sure! Google some common interview questions and good responses and write them down, prwxtice reading them out loud, practice talking about your skills and experience and education out loud as well. Do some research on the company and their products/programs/services etc and the local current events pertinent to the field. L practice discussing how your previous experience and education are assets to their current job posting and how/why you are passionate about the job/field/company.

A good trick for phone interview is not to sit, walk around as it facilitate a more natural tone, and have a pen, paper and computer with internet at your fingertips!

Good luck I'm sure u will get it !

Thank you everyone!

Good news. I received a call today from an anonymous number. Normally, I don't answer my phone, but this morning I answered it without even thinking. It was a recruiter from the company, and she scheduled me for a phone interview this Friday!

I am super anxious now. I really hope I get this job.

Hi Cyberpunk,

I really hope you get this job. To me it's just about as important as me controlling my disorders. I need to work, it keeps my mind occupied, provides income for what I need and gives me a feeling of accomplishment. If for some reason you don't get this job, congratulations anyway for making yourself push through the process.

Nice job on passing the test.

Oh I get phone anxiety as well. Do you have anything to take to help calm the nerves? Try to remember that your worth is not tied to this single job. There will be other opportunities if this doesn't work out. Hell, I was just turned down for a job because I'm a dude. So I have to say **** it and on to the next.

Edited by afflicted