Sign in to follow this  
MasterRango

My First Time Publicly Speaking About My Illness

Hello, everyone.

My name is Jake, and I have struggled with, what has only recently been diagnosed as, severe depression and even more severe anxiety for 6 years, but have had underlying side effects my whole life.

I am just now 20 years old and have been struggling more than usual lately, due to the fact that I am very close to getting married.

I look forward to learning more about your experiences with this tiresome, inconvenient and debilitating disease; that is not understood fully by anyone but especially not by those that do not have it.

Hi Jake.

It is nice to meet you! So sorry you have been stricken with depression and severe anxiety. You are wise in what you say since these are indeed cruel and brutal illnesses which no one deserves! I have suffered numerous illnesses in my life [almost 60 years now] and can say that depression and anxiety are the absolute worst, even though, sadly. those who do not suffer them often cannot understand or feel empathy for sufferers.

Getting married can be extremely stressful too. My heart goes out to you and I hope things become more and more bearable for you and that you are able to get better and better. Someone recently gave me an article to read by a psychiatrist who was suddenly struck down with severe anxiety and depressive illness. These terrible illness can strike anyone. I want to wish you all good things in the future; all the very very best Jake!

Thank you so much for the reply, Epictetus!

I applaud you for sticking to it for such a long time! Nearly 3 of my entire lives worth of time... Very encouraging to know that there are veterans, if you will, out there.

I have not met anyone over 40 who willingly admitted to struggling with depression/anxiety. I'm assuming there's more of a stigma based around those born in your generation.

Thank you again for the reply!

There is definitely a stigma. Other than a passing mention of my meds (and that's only to my closest friends and family), I don't discuss my depression with anybody. They don't ask and I don't want to bum them out so I, like so many others, suffer in silence. I hope that your partner is supportive at least. My husband doesn't know what to say or do but he will listen if I need him to. I've only recently found this forum but reading about other people who are struggling with the same things has helped. I can't explain why but it has.

Edited by shdwfx989899

Shdwfx989899, thank you for the reply!

Fortunately (or unfortunately) my fiance is afflicted many of the same things of which I am afflicted. She has some understanding, but her anxiety/depression is caused more by PCOS and PTSD so it's the same but, of course, very different! Just like most cases seem to be.

I had seen this forum many times before, but have decided only recently that joining may be therapeutic.

There is definitely a stigma. Other than a passing mention of my meds (and that's only to my closest friends and family), I don't discuss my depression with anybody. They don't ask and I don't want to bum them out so I, like so many others, suffer in silence. I hope that your partner is supportive at least. My husband doesn't know what to say or do but he will listen if I need him to. I've only recently found this forum but reading about other people who are struggling with the same things has helped. I can't explain why but it has.

Shdwfx989899, thank you for the reply!Fortunately (or unfortunately) my fiance is afflicted many of the same things of which I am afflicted. She has some understanding, but her anxiety/depression is caused more by PCOS and PTSD so it's the same but, of course, very different! Just like most cases seem to be.I had seen this forum many times before, but have decided only recently that joining may be therapeutic.