How Do You Put Your Mind At Ease?

16bit

My main problem is that my brain is constantly active, thinking... over-thinking, repetitively too. This can cause me all types of troubles, which I'm sure many of you can relate to, because of how draining it can be.

But I was wondering, is there anything you do to relax your mind?

I found that watching things (TV shows and films) really helps me to unwind as well as giving me something to look forward to. However, I am starting to think that sometimes it's just a distraction, so I would like to do more active things to put my mind at ease and help me focus on more important things, sleep, etc. I address some issues in my head as best as I can, but this - unfortunately - does not stop my thoughts. They are things I cannot do much about, and so I am just waiting for them to pass, but I am not in a place where I feel capable of hearing about them much longer.

Sounds so strange to write about because I should be able to control what I think, but sometimes it just seems that I really can't! So any tips and such would be appreciated. Thank you, x.

I believe as long as our mind is overall at ease, any additional thinking causes unnecessary stress. Thinking doesn't really make you smart, especially if you're thinking about the same things over and over again. The best way to enjoy life is to leave our heads. Easier said than done, I know, but it's worthwhile.

I'd say really ANY hobby will do the trick, not just TV and film. Drawing, reading, writing (productive thinking), gardening, singing, playing music, hanging with friends, these are all really great things to do to focus the mind, and think about what you're doing. Focus on what you see, what you hear, what you smell, what you taste, and what you feel, at all times.

One more thing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm0uSVvjsOA

Edited by Kabuto

One word; music.

I've been thinking at 5000 rpm for about as long as I can remember. I over-think things constantly, but when I take a minute to actively listen to a song or album, it's like my brain is keeping pace with the music, and that's all.

I've always been interested in music, but I've found that a lot of other people have benefited from just sayin, "F*** it, I need to go jam out to something and deal with life later"

AA

As crazy as this sounds, my son has TONS of Legos. So I started building with him more than I used to. I enjoyed it so much and it relaxed me so much, that I find myself playing with Legos even when he's not around!

You know I could see that working. My little one has blocks and when I build with him, that helps. I actually hope that we can get into Legos here soon, although I hate the price tag on them *ugh*

Music used to do that for me, I normally knew every song, and about every lyric, but I find so little music now that actually sounds worth a hoot (wow I feel old). Listening to the same things over and over is ok at times but I don't really get the relaxation I used to from it.

I definitely can relate to the mind going non-stop that's my waterloo. When I can shut it off a bit, I feel so much better, but when it's just me and it going toe to toe, amazingly it tends to win and wear me out. I need to get physically exhausted, but the problem is I get exhausted so easily right now, that it doesn't take too much to feel worn out, and with a little one, I can't really wear myself out because always got to be ready to have a battle over bed, bath, food, etc. I really don't mean to complain either, my little one, while a bundle of energy, is a pretty good kid, most of the time.

I kind of think it would be better if there was more shows, movies that were kind of positive and could occupy my mind, instead of dark, depressing shows. No that I think there is anything wrong with them, but a bit of good news, good laughs, etc., probably wouldn't hurt.

My mind goes non-stop, even when I'm not aware of it. And, I'm a multiple, so when I'm not thinking, I've got insiders talking and thinking for me. It's crazy! The thinking is actually there (at least the ruminating) to decrease anxiety and other uncomfortable feelings we have, so it really does act as a distraction. Problem is, it really doesn't get rid of the anxiety, it just covers it up.

The only thing I've found helpful in my case is mindfulness. Mindfulness is just learning to pay attention *in the moment*, learning to stay present and not be judgmental about whatever feelings arise. There are a ton of books and CDs on mindfulness, but probably one of the best authors is Jon Kabat-Zinn. If you've never tried or practiced mindfulness, I highly recommend it!

I agree with rhyl, the best way to soothe a racing mind is meditation/mindfulness. Whenever I've been studying/researching/worrying too hard all I have to do is meditate and it changes everything about my mood and my disposition. It's like a refreshing cool shower for your brain.

I agree, TV puts you into a kind of submental state but that isn't ultimately relaxing for the mind, it's just a distraction. I think hobbies could work if they are so absorbing to you that you lose all sense of time and get completely lost and focused in on the activity. Some people call it a state of "flow" in this state you are relaxed, but the conditions under which you achieve this type of active-relaxation are different for every person.

I have this same problem. Distractions like tv or books can be a huge blessing for a person who has a mind with a mind of its own, as someone prone to anxiety so often does. During the work week, achieving a distraction long enough to relax my brain is all I can hope for with the precious few hours I have free after my stressful workday and commute. Doing this with Netflix is easy, and almost always does the trick. If it doesn't distract, then at least whatever I'm watching helps drown out the neverending string of distressing thoughts for a while.

Writing helps me whenever I am able to concentrate enough on an idea to form coherent thoughts, or even complete stories. If I can't, then I end up frustrated and quitting before my story takes shape, even if it started out with a great idea.

I've also had some luck with hobbies like knitting or gardening. Something that is easy enough to do on auto-pilot, but absorbing enough to think about if you're interested. I sometimes have to quiet my mind by splitting my attention between activities. Listening to an audiobook while knitting, for example.

Someone else mentioned music. Music is excellent mind candy.

Edited by yourlocalwonderwoman

Agree, tv shows and film do help me with it. Music and games helps me divert my mind . I heard many times that writing journal can help with depression. I've tried writing journal, but doesn't help me much, maybe I'm be I'm not good at it. I'm amaze to those who writes well.

Thank you very much everyone for all the different ideas!! I'm super-happy to receive all your responses, xx.

I listen to music (and crazily dance) everyday, it has a great success rate of shaking any bad feelings I've been building up throughout the day. I listen to music most of the time because noise helps me to become less fidgety/vulnerable to anxiety. I would say that, my problem is - for example, no matter how good I feel reading a book, as soon as I put that book down, the thoughts come crashing back and it's like they had never left.

Perhaps I just need a greater level of patience. Just feels like, even when I think I've unplugged my brain, I really just put it on pause at best.

I looked up mindfulness not too long ago, and realised it was something I had been trying for a long time now. Although because I have not been actively aware of what it was I was doing, I still have a lot to learn about it. =)

Goo - I love the idea with the lego! I also always wanted lego as a child. =P I have a little brother, who's now four-years-old. I'm far away from home now, but when I was around, I'd play with him and my mother always remarked on how I looked like I was having more fun than he was with his toys, so I can definitely relate! Ha ha

I'm trying to find a solution for this problem too, I'm always thinking and it goes way overboard. I too find some help from watching tv-shows and playing games, but it is indeed just an temporary solution, a little pause. Thoughts come back soon again. My hobby is studying japanese and I find it super relaxing when I go to a class, I might be depressed and anxious when I get there, but I almost immediately forget my problems and just enjoy learning. Unfortunately it doesn't work at home, I can't get so into it when I'm alone.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 16bit,

I sit in the dark sometimes with just candles and meditate. I too have an overactive mind and tv only does so much. I think about what I want for my future and try to figure out how to make it happen. Meditation has been very helpful for me to relax.

do you ever write diaries? sometimes i am in bed trying to sleep and my mind is going so fast and wont stop, and it is just thinking about a whole lot of stupid unimportant stuff. but i get out of bed to write diaries and when i sit down to write i find that there is something that is really bothering me that doesnt have to do with all of those unimportant worries. sometimes in the process of writing it down i come to understand the situation better, or sometimes i dont understand it better, but usually i feel differently about it afterwards for some reason.

There really isn't any way to put your mind at ease, unless you are good at fooling yourself. Or enjoy listening to the chorus of Sam smith - Money on my mind.

I am a huge protagonist of Sam Smith - Money on my mind chorus. It embodies happiness. I have listened to it like 50 times and I still don't understand the lyrics. It is just the upper inflection, something about that upper inflection.

You have to engage in those things that make you happy, or medication. Either that or you exercise and gain an identity through that.

You see, honestly, there is no magic cure for depression, or any way to completely remove the horrors of your mind.

You can only accept, accept that beautiful upper inflection. Take head, for that upper inflection, that inflection is very important.

Stillness is the worst thing in the world to me. I walk/run/exercise in the home to regain focus if music isn't what I'm in the mood for.

If my thoughts aren't racing when I haven't gone on an hour's outing in the freezing cold and I'm not snuggling up to someone, then I'm probably sick or depressed. It's all about maintaining focus and good energy, which might involve redirecting nervous energy.

Edited by Licorice