Jump to content


Junior Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About sanguinepixie

  • Rank
    Junior Member
  • Birthday 06/22/1975

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

468 profile views
  1. I took Valdoxan for about 5 weeks, and it did help me fall asleep and get back to sleep when I woke in the night, but I didn't notice any other effects. I stopped it and started Welbutrin, which made an immediate difference.
  2. HI, I live in Melbourne and I recently started on Wellbutrin. My GP wouldn't prescribe it, and seemed to have no idea it was an antidepressant, but she was happy to refer me to a psychiatrist who could. It isn't commonly used here (no idea why) except as smoking cessation aid, and the psych was initially reluctant as he thought it would make me more anxious. He suggested Valdoxan, and upping my Citalopram (which I had been tapering for past two years, and was down to 3mg). I did that (citalopram to 10mg), and on second visit he wrote out a script for Wellbutrin. I think you could find a psychiatrist who would prescribe it, particularly if you have been using it successfully and have a letter to support that. They seem to just be a bit unfamiliar with it here as a first or second line AD, and feel that it's side effect profile is fairly high so prefer others. As for dosage, I have the 150mg SR you mentioned, and he said to up to 2 pills after 2 weeks. I don't know if it comes in higher doses, or the different release forms that you have overseas. Good luck.
  3. Hi Hoosierhoney, So sorry you are feeling so badly. ADs can cause severe withdrawal effects when stopped too quickly, and tapering over a month is indeed too quickly for most. For best advice, go to survivingantidepressants.com – they can guide you on reinstatement, withdrawal symptoms and tapering safely. Best of luck.
  4. JD4010 if you're still reading on here: go to Surviving Antidepressants online and you will find a supportive community and a wealth of information on how to taper your psych med safely.
  5. Absolutely yes you can get withdrawal effects from these drugs. I am tapering off now – nearly 20 months in – and expect to have at least 6 months to go. Doctors advise a quick taper (2-3 months) that is just not slow enough for most people, and they are hit with withdrawal symptoms that are then ascribed to relapse (even though the symptoms themselves may be quite different from original condition). This is what happened to me twice before I found out about withdrawal from Surviving Antidepressants. There are several really good sources of information now on AD withdrawal (the site I mentioned above and others) – and unfortunately they know much more than most doctors. PLEASE don't come off quickly, and please don't let a quick taper make you believe that you need these drugs for life.
  6. HI Casey, That's interesting about journaling - I'm going to try that too. I am feeling fine back on the meds now, but for the time I was off them I did enjoy feeling more alive and vital, and I felt I was able to express myself better and my feelings felt closer to the surface…both good and bad. I don't want to lose that in a fog of complacency. And obviously, I can still grind myself down if I don't take care to avoid stress and negative though loops and be more mindful. Meds don't do it all. Someone else on these Celexa forums has a lot of trouble with dizziness on Lexapro - LynnC - she has a few topic threads. I never had that myself. Good luck
  7. Hi Wrenn, It's okay, we've got Top Extras on our health insurance so it's only costing me $90. I went to the dentist because my teeth have become so sensitive to cold I can't drink smoothies or eat fruit cold from the fridge. Also, my cheeks were aching, and all my top teeth. I haven't noticed the pain as much the last few days, but my teeth are still really sensitive. I suppose it's good I have these symptoms before I grind any fillings out! Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll update if the pain and grinding do go away.
  8. Hi Lynn and Ry, I have read that book, and recently found research by a women called Judith Wurtman I think who designed a diet along the same principle (eating carbs without protein to allow tryptophan into the brian to create 5HTP then serotonin). She claims it can help you stop gaining weight on SSRIs if you eat 3 complex carb-only snacks (about 2 weet-bix each) 2 hours away from protein, as it gives the brain the serotonin it wants and thereby curbs that craving for sweet and carby food you get. I've never followed either diet for long, but know there is definitely a link between depression, SSRIs, serotonin and carb food. My friend had gained a lot of weight on SSRIs over the years, and I convinced him to try a low-carb diet (not as severe as Atkins, but reducing bread etc) and he felt crushingly depressed within a few days. I can't remember if he had stopped the SSRIs then or not, but he still had a need to 'self-medicate' with bowls of cereal or toast in the evening, and more sugary food the rest of the time. Without that, his mood plummeted. Now, off the meds, he has slowly progressed to a relatively low-carb diet with lots of vegetables, fruit, eggs, and whole grains only, with very little sugar at all. He finds if he does stray towards sugary, salty foods he starts to feel unexplained vulnerability and low mood. So it's definitely possible, Lynn, that eating more simple carbs messed with you a bit. But it's hard not to celebrate after a return of appetite! Now that I'm 'recovered', I'm trying not to let my weight and eating drift back up. And of course, eating good, steady whole foods always improves your wellbeing. I hope you feel better soon Lynn. It must be awful to go backwards after feeling good. I have had anxious periods since coming good, but, no, nothing as long as what you have experienced. But before I recovered, I don't think I was as high functioning as you seem to be - my partner was home and I didn't have the kids (preschool age) alone for long. I did washing and cleaning but very little cooking or anything else. We were kind of in survival mode.I slept in the day every midday, and often just cried and stayed in my room. I took benzos through to day to curb the crying. If it had lasted much longer I don't know what we would have done. I think someone said Lexapro can take longer to stabilise than Celexa? So all you can do is keep doing what you are doing, I suppose. Good luck guys.
  9. HI Lynn, I had a bad morning about a week after my 'breakthrough': crying, anxious, afraid. There were contributing stresses. I felt a bit flat at first too: relief from the cessation of anxiety but still a bit shaky I suppose. Compared to now, I feel I was just coming out of the woods: blinking at the light, tired and a bit shellshocked. Now I feel much, much better physically and emotionally. I have tried hard to avoid stress and be more mindful of how I am thinking, and my partner has been working from home so that has clearly helped.
  10. A short addendum: Though I was taking up to 7.5mg lorazepam and combinations of valium and oxazepam before that for the 7-8 weeks it took to recover, once I felt better I had no trouble at all discontinuing these meds.
  11. Hi all, I recently recovered (again) from anxiety and depression on citalopram. I desperately scanned this thread when i started up again to reassure myself that I would recover, so I want to share my story for everyone else. After a few skirmishes with anxiety/depression and Zoloft during winter in 2003 and 2004 (I think), I had a more severe 'nervous breakdown' when I became pregnant with my first child in 2006 and was travelling overseas (left a job, lost some friends, finished a thesis as contributing circumstances). I couldn't use Zoloft again as the nausea was EXTREME and I ended up in hospital a few times on a drip, so citalopram became my new friend. It kicked in, I felt great, and stayed on it for 7 years under guidance of a perinatal psychiatrist. Tapered off May-Aug 2013. Felt a return of vaulting ambition, libido and a soaring love of music, film, life and all its possibilities; unfortunately, also felt 'skinless' and hypersensitive to life's cruelties, disappointments and irritations. I tried to exercise more, meditate and relearn how to manage life without the SSRI cushion, but a combination of my mother's cancer relapse and an extremely difficult circumstances in a volunteer position I undertook proved too formidable. I was waking early with electrifying anxiety, irritable, teary and finding it really difficult to feel calm and safe at all. It felt like each time I would tackle a problem and feel some relief, a new problem would arise and I just couldn't regain equilibrium. Began citalopram again 23/11, 10mg. After 4 days I felt extreme anxiety, nausea, weepiness, fatigue and agitation. Stayed on 10mg for 12 days. In the early weeks I bounced between local GPs and calls to the hospital where my psychiatrist was located, trying desperately to talk to someone who could help with the side-effects and crushing dread. After an hour of quiet weeping at a local GP (a kind receptionist took me to an empty consult room), the GP prescribed 4mg of Valium twice a day. I took at least 10mg that first day, and struggled to keep the anxiety at bay while not take too much Valium. Nearly 2 weeks in, at 20mg, I saw a different GP and he gave me a shot of metachlopramide (Maxalon), and a prescription for the pill form for the nausea. It sent me into a panic attack and huge anxiety in the next few hours (apparently that can happen in some people, I later found). I took a lot of Diazepam and oxazepam that day. At this stage I was sleeping in the middle of the day (with benzo help) and sometimes feeling a small window of relative calm in the late evening. Next day, spoke to my psych and was prescribed 2.5mg Lorazepam, 3 times a day. I took up to that amount for the next month or so. Up to 30mg after 19 days on 10 and 20mg. Nausea gradually stopped after about 5 weeks; I had lost 5-6kg by this time. Stayed on 30mg for 24 days. By this time it was 6 weeks from commencing citalopram. I was still waking early in fear, and sleeping in the day most days, my partner was largely dealing with the kids while I rested or did laundry/cleaning. I wanted to go up to 40mg, as that had worked in the past and I was terrified of feeling as I was for much longer, knowing that it takes a while for each dose to kick in. My psych was keen that I not do it too quickly, given the severity of my start-up side effects, and felt I should stay on 30mg over Christmas and not suffer the increased side effects with the dose increase. I had a few days in the fifth and sixth week when I felt slight relief. A good morning, a relatively calm afternoon. But still not enough, and I went up to 40mg. By then most side effects had lessened, and increasing didn't trigger anything. About 5-6 days after starting 40mg, I felt like a light switch went on and I felt better. Just normal. Not awesome, but not hating life, and that was a profound relief. I could sleep longer in the mornings, no morning anxiety, had more energy and over the next few weeks it kept improving. i gradually stopped needing sleep in the middle of the day, and began to enjoy the kids and look forward to getting better. Now, just over 3 weeks since beginning 40mg, I feel not only the relief of no anxiety, but real joy and purpose and energy about my life and myself. When i was struggling I knew on some level that I would recover, but I couldn't imagine outside the narrow straits of my fearful thinking. I spent most of the time apologising to my family and friends; I felt guilty about being ill, about needing so much help and not being able to function well. I felt somehow that underneath I had always been like this: pessimistic, defeated, afraid and self-conscious. And I knew it was a flaw in my thinking that made me perceive the world in that way, and that felt even worse. I was broken somehow. I couldn't remember that I had felt so strong, balanced and peaceful that I had sought to go off the medication in the first place. I had an awful time getting back on the medication, but it was more than worth it to feel as well as I do now. I wish everyone who is struggling on their meds a rapid resolution of their emotional ills. There is light at the end of the tunnel: beautiful, glorious sunshine. Take heart, and stick with it.
  12. Lynn - sorry to hear about the dip - fingers and toes crossed for you...
  13. Hi Zac, It's tough for you - you need a medication to treat your health-based anxiety that in turn increases your anxiety about your health!! It is hard for people who are unafflicted to understand what we go through - but much harder for you to do it alone. My dad tries so hard and helps all he can when I'm down, but I can see he just can't quite get what it's like for your mind to collapse from the inside. He looks at me and sees a successful mother, partner and higher degree graduate with friends and family and can't see why I would feel anxious and depressed. Half his luck! I wish I didn't know. But I am so grateful my partner really, really understands, having suffered himself, and says all the right words and gives me all the space and rest he can. It helps immeasurably, and I know I am lucky to have such understanding as most people here don't. Good luck with your meds and let's hope those side effects settle soon. i had shocking nausea and lost 5kg in the first 5 weeks - but now I'm well it's a blessing to have lost all the baby and SSRI weight without effort! And I titrated up quite slowly, so yours will probably ease sooner. Courage! You're fighting the good fight.
  • Create New...