Jump to content
  • entries
    317
  • comments
    818
  • views
    21,128

I received a really negative work review


RiverLight

226 views

The review was all negatives and criticisms, with little mention of any positives, successful projects completed, or work well done.

I had to take a medical leave when I first started, then had to return to a greatly modified position according to my doctor's note.

It is my belief that they are now creating the documentation needed in order to fire me, and I said as much in my review meeting today with my boss and HR.

Due to my "modified" position, I am doing menial work for a very high salary. And I am sure that they resent that. I have asked for more responsibility, however, and more than once.

I pushed back on several points in this review meeting, letting it be known that a project I had done all on my own had been completed to my supervisor's satisfaction. He had even told me I had done as well of a job on it as he could have done. But that was omitted from my review entirely. It was stated that I require "heavy oversight" and only one example was cited where I had to repeat work done, whereas all other good work was ignored.

The review was biased and skewed. And, now I am thinking IF I AM fired, that I should sue them for wrongful termination. And I would.

I am FUMING over the injustice - FUMING. This is the worst review I've ever received in my entire life! And I work very hard at what I do, and for the most part, I do a great job.

How am I supposed to have a strong employee morale after that??? How am I supposed to rebound from such a negative review and feel good at work??? How am I supposed to even work now at all??? How can I show up at work and continue to try my best??? I feel SO deflated by this. He punctured my bubble.

I stood up for myself in a note to HR after my formal review, but now I feel a huge conflict exists between me and my boss. And there is one now. I don’t like him or appreciate his extreme criticisms. He was waayyy too harsh with me, especially after returning from medical leave. I feel victimized.

I am really not happy. How do I get past this so I can continue to do my best??? 

7 Comments


Recommended Comments

Mom went through the same thing.  Why did they give you the bad review?  They don't want you to like it there anymore.  As a friend in today's world I will tell you they probably want you to leave so they don't have to go through what you just described.  The truth is though in today's world if they do fire you you will always have a winning case I would think.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, sober4life said:

Mom went through the same thing.  Why did they give you the bad review?  They don't want you to like it there anymore.  As a friend in today's world I will tell you they probably want you to leave so they don't have to go through what you just described.  The truth is though in today's world if they do fire you you will always have a winning case I would think.

That's the sense I get from this review, and It makes me feel absolutely horrible. They want me to leave? I feel rejected and dejected. Like I'm being tossed out on the street. But truth be told, I don't want to work for them and determined that weeks ago. Still, I don't know how to survive there now. 

Edited by RiverLight
Link to comment
52 minutes ago, RiverLight said:

Due to my "modified" position, I am doing menial work for a very high salary. And I am sure that they resent that. 

Yeah I absolutely believe that's what they're thinking but they can't fire you.  All they care about is money.  Mom had a doctor's note and they stuck with her as long as she stayed but they made the job a living hell every single day until she couldn't do it anymore.  That final job is what really destroyed her.  I would just leave like you are determined to do.  I'm sorry you're going through this.  This is a disgusting world.  People like us that are sick are treated like this all the time and it makes me so angry!

Link to comment
1 hour ago, sober4life said:

Yeah I absolutely believe that's what they're thinking but they can't fire you.  All they care about is money.  Mom had a doctor's note and they stuck with her as long as she stayed but they made the job a living hell every single day until she couldn't do it anymore.  That final job is what really destroyed her.  I would just leave like you are determined to do.  I'm sorry you're going through this.  This is a disgusting world.  People like us that are sick are treated like this all the time and it makes me so angry!

Well, they can fire me if they can prove I am not fit for the job & don't meet their expectations, and that's what I feel my review was about. And thanks, sober. It is very tough to go through. Who knows how long it will take me to find another job? It could and likely will take several months. In the meantime, I have to suffer. 

Link to comment

So apparently my boss feels that I should be smiling and happy despite my horrible review he gave me last week. In our company-wide meeting today, he messaged me asking me why I wasn't smiling. GO FIGURE. You tore me apart last week, and I am supposed to have a strong morale and a big smile on my face?!?!!? Unbelievable!

Link to comment

Yeah he messaged you because it's hard not to message back exactly how you feel when someone says something so ridiculous and then there's more proof.  I would hold back though.  If he said it to me face to face well it would be my last day and it would end the way it ended with a lot of my bosses in my life.  That would be me.  As a friend I would say stay strong and don't let them break you no matter what.

Link to comment
14 hours ago, sober4life said:

Yeah he messaged you because it's hard not to message back exactly how you feel when someone says something so ridiculous and then there's more proof.  I would hold back though.  If he said it to me face to face well it would be my last day and it would end the way it ended with a lot of my bosses in my life.  That would be me.  As a friend I would say stay strong and don't let them break you no matter what.

I did fight back a bit after my review in an email to HR, saying it was an unfair review and counter arguing several points made. He won't break me. I won't let him!  The problem is, I could lose my job, based on that horrible review. I meet with my CEO in one week, so I will find out then if I have a job or not. 

Edited by RiverLight
Link to comment
×
×
  • Create New...