Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Major Depressive Episode: How Long To Recovery?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Penguin

Penguin

ID: 12841

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:35 PM

Four weeks ago, I fell into a major depressive episode (as I see it defined on the internet). It has severely disrupted my life. For the first two weeks I was in total despair and barely functional. I lost a lot of weight and got so sick I thought I would end up in the hospital. I have not been able to work for a month.

Nothing like this has ever happened to me. Previously I had been moderately depressed for a few years due to health problems, but I never anticipated I could get this bad.

I am pretty scared. I hope I am slowly recovering but progress is so slow and some days I think I am going nowhere or even backwards. After a month, my emotional state is still so fragile. Sometimes I wonder if I ever will recover. I have been taking Lexapro for two weeks and am looking for a therapist.

A question for anyone who cares to comment:
How long does it take to recover from something like this? Does one ever fully recover? Will there be relapses? What happens to my life after this? I would like to hear about your personal recovery from a bad episode such as this.

Thanks!

- Penguin
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 TwilightZephyr

TwilightZephyr

ID: 2249

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:48 PM

Well it's could you are taking medication....that should speed up recovery. my major eps usually last about a year...that is untreated. My last ep lasted about 10 months. I suffer from Dysthymia (mild chronic depression) as well. I've been dealing with this for 15yrs....but I have never had treatment for it. I usually just drag myself though them don't really know how. But I think starting treatment will help you kick this and possibly prevent re-lapse...I think the chance is pretty high to not have another one. I think life goes on like normal, but maybe you learn a few lessons and get an inside look at something a bit darker. I don't think I have any great recovery story...lol. Basically I got over this last episode by starting a new life. Left everything and started some where new. But that's what I had to do.

#3 Guest_SarahN_*

Guest_SarahN_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:28 PM

Hi Penguin,

I am sorry to hear you have hit such a rough patch in life. I am glad you are taking meds and hope they kick in soon. I find that a combination of anti depressants and talk therapy works best for me.
I have been depressed for a few years now I would say but wasn't diagnosed until about 1,5 year ago. I was put on meds but quit taking them too early which let to a major relapse from which I am still recovering at the moment.

I believe it is possible to recover and be happy again, however I also think that once you have been depressed it is easier to slide back (that is just my opinion) I sure hope I am wrong :bump:

Good luck to you,

SN :hearts:

#4 hlov2

hlov2

ID: 12495

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:17 PM

hi, in my experiences, i tend to have a relapse every few years. its great that your on meds. it can take up to a month or longer before you notice feeling better
i have been where you are. i am recovering from a relapse right now. my meds got increased about 3 weeks ago, and im starting to come around. remember, you didnt get sick over night, and you wont get well over night. it just sorta happens. please keep us posted.

#5 misfit

misfit

Silver Member

ID: 669

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:33 PM

Sadly, it varies for individuals, but one of the things I think that is important for dealing with a major depressive episode it that you use medication, therapy, and other supports. Even a major depressive episode is different for everyone.
Mine lasted about 1-2 years...but I was highly functional at the time. It was still catagorized as a major depressive episode, but I was still able to work etc. Mine was due to a number of life events, coupled with already being clincally depressed. It was much different and much stronger than it had been in the past. I felt like I was going insane. But, things eventually got better. I still worry about sliding back down, I know that it can happen, but I am trying to live for the present now. To not worry about the future and dwell on the past. I am also trying very hard to realize that I have things really good. I have a home, a job, family, friends and fairly good health. I still have my moments, and times when I need to just loose it and have a pity party for myself.
I said in 2005 that it was my year to get better. I had constantly had roadblocks put infront of me in seeking out therapy. I finally demanded that I get a therapist and starting seeing one in early 2005. I started reading about Buddhism, which has helped me a lot. And now I am going to a naturopatic doctor to work on my health. Getting the motivation to really work on getting better is hard. As I said, I still have my days, and if I were talking to you on one of them I wouldn't be this optimistic...but they aren't as often. I hope you find that motivation, I hope that 2007 will bring you happiness, take care,
Misfit
We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves-Buddha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users