Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Penguin

Major Depressive Episode: How Long To Recovery?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Advertisement

Four weeks ago, I fell into a major depressive episode (as I see it defined on the internet). It has severely disrupted my life. For the first two weeks I was in total despair and barely functional. I lost a lot of weight and got so sick I thought I would end up in the hospital. I have not been able to work for a month.

Nothing like this has ever happened to me. Previously I had been moderately depressed for a few years due to health problems, but I never anticipated I could get this bad.

I am pretty scared. I hope I am slowly recovering but progress is so slow and some days I think I am going nowhere or even backwards. After a month, my emotional state is still so fragile. Sometimes I wonder if I ever will recover. I have been taking Lexapro for two weeks and am looking for a therapist.

A question for anyone who cares to comment:

How long does it take to recover from something like this? Does one ever fully recover? Will there be relapses? What happens to my life after this? I would like to hear about your personal recovery from a bad episode such as this.

Thanks!

- Penguin

You might also be interested in:

Posted

Well it's could you are taking medication....that should speed up recovery. my major eps usually last about a year...that is untreated. My last ep lasted about 10 months. I suffer from Dysthymia (mild chronic depression) as well. I've been dealing with this for 15yrs....but I have never had treatment for it. I usually just drag myself though them don't really know how. But I think starting treatment will help you kick this and possibly prevent re-lapse...I think the chance is pretty high to not have another one. I think life goes on like normal, but maybe you learn a few lessons and get an inside look at something a bit darker. I don't think I have any great recovery story...lol. Basically I got over this last episode by starting a new life. Left everything and started some where new. But that's what I had to do.

Posted

Hi Penguin,

I am sorry to hear you have hit such a rough patch in life. I am glad you are taking meds and hope they kick in soon. I find that a combination of anti depressants and talk therapy works best for me.

I have been depressed for a few years now I would say but wasn't diagnosed until about 1,5 year ago. I was put on meds but quit taking them too early which let to a major relapse from which I am still recovering at the moment.

I believe it is possible to recover and be happy again, however I also think that once you have been depressed it is easier to slide back (that is just my opinion) I sure hope I am wrong :bump:

Good luck to you,

SN :hearts:

Posted

hi, in my experiences, i tend to have a relapse every few years. its great that your on meds. it can take up to a month or longer before you notice feeling better

i have been where you are. i am recovering from a relapse right now. my meds got increased about 3 weeks ago, and im starting to come around. remember, you didnt get sick over night, and you wont get well over night. it just sorta happens. please keep us posted.

Posted

Sadly, it varies for individuals, but one of the things I think that is important for dealing with a major depressive episode it that you use medication, therapy, and other supports. Even a major depressive episode is different for everyone.

Mine lasted about 1-2 years...but I was highly functional at the time. It was still catagorized as a major depressive episode, but I was still able to work etc. Mine was due to a number of life events, coupled with already being clincally depressed. It was much different and much stronger than it had been in the past. I felt like I was going insane. But, things eventually got better. I still worry about sliding back down, I know that it can happen, but I am trying to live for the present now. To not worry about the future and dwell on the past. I am also trying very hard to realize that I have things really good. I have a home, a job, family, friends and fairly good health. I still have my moments, and times when I need to just loose it and have a pity party for myself.

I said in 2005 that it was my year to get better. I had constantly had roadblocks put infront of me in seeking out therapy. I finally demanded that I get a therapist and starting seeing one in early 2005. I started reading about Buddhism, which has helped me a lot. And now I am going to a naturopatic doctor to work on my health. Getting the motivation to really work on getting better is hard. As I said, I still have my days, and if I were talking to you on one of them I wouldn't be this optimistic...but they aren't as often. I hope you find that motivation, I hope that 2007 will bring you happiness, take care,

Misfit