• Announcements

• Lindsay

National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016   05/01/2016

Proclamation 9433 of April 28, 2016 National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016 A Proclamation Nearly 44 million American adults, and millions of children, experience mental health conditions each year, including depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and post-traumatic stress. Although we have made progress expanding mental health coverage and elevating the conversation about mental health, too many people still do not get the help they need. Our Nation is founded on the belief that we must look out for one another—and whether it affects our family members, friends, co-workers, or those unknown to us—we do a service for each other when we reach out and help those struggling with mental health issues. This month, we renew our commitment to ridding our society of the stigma associated with mental illness, encourage those living with mental health conditions to get the help they need, and reaffirm our pledge to ensure those who need help have access to the support, acceptance, and resources they deserve. In the last 7 years, our country has made extraordinary progress in expanding mental health coverage for more people across America. The Affordable Care Act prohibits insurance companies from discriminating against people based on pre-existing conditions, requires coverage of mental health and substance use disorder services in individual and small group markets, and expands mental health and substance use disorder parity policies, which are estimated to help more than 60 million Americans. Nearly 15 million more Americans have gained Medicaid coverage since October 2013, significantly improving access to mental health care. And because of more than $100 million in funding from the Affordable Care Act, community health centers have expanded behavioral health services for nearly 900,000 people nationwide over the past 2 years. Still, far too few Americans experiencing mental illnesses do not receive the care and treatment they need. That is why my most recent Budget proposal includes a new half-billion dollar investment to improve access to mental health care, engage individuals with serious mental illness in care, and help ensure behavioral health care systems work for everyone. Our Nation has made strong advances in improving prevention, increasing early intervention, and expanding treatment of mental illnesses. Earlier this year, I established a Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Parity Task Force, which aims to ensure that coverage for mental health benefits is comparable to coverage for medical and surgical care, improve understanding of the requirements of the law, and expand compliance with it. Mental health should be treated as part of a person's overall health, and we must ensure individuals living with mental health conditions can get the treatment they need. My Administration also continues to invest in science and research through the BRAIN initiative to enhance our understanding of the complexities of the human brain and to make it easier to diagnose and treat mental health disorders early. One of our most profound obligations as a Nation is to support the men and women in uniform who return home and continue fighting battles against mental illness. Last year, I signed the Clay Hunt SAV Act, which fills critical gaps in serving veterans with post-traumatic stress and other illnesses, increases peer support and outreach, and recruits more talented individuals to work on mental health issues at the Department of Veterans Affairs. This law will make it easier for veterans to get the care they need when they need it. All Americans, including service members, can get immediate assistance by calling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK or by calling 1-800-662-HELP. During National Mental Health Awareness Month, we recognize those Americans who live with mental illness and substance use disorders, and we pledge solidarity with their families who need our support as well. Let us strive to ensure people living with mental health conditions know that they are not alone, that hope exists, and that the possibility of healing and thriving is real. Together, we can help everyone get the support they need to recover as they continue along the journey to get well. NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim May 2016 as National Mental Health Awareness Month. I call upon citizens, government agencies, organizations, health care providers, and research institutions to raise mental health awareness and continue helping Americans live longer, healthier lives. IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-eighth day of April, in the year of our Lord two thousand sixteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and fortieth.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ArchyStone

I'm Fed Up With My Family :[

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Right now I was about to go out and have a good time with some friends, but my mom doesn't want to take me out. She wasn't even home all day, she went to a bar and fell asleep at a friends house. She drives around in a car without proper platse (fake ones) and gets by to where she wants to go. For 2 weeks i've been in this room on the computer or laying down pondering my life and the issues I have and how to fix them. I went out maybe 3 times and tonight would of been my 4th. I finally built up the courage to back out and sociallize, but all my mom wants todo is sleep. And she uses the plates as an excuse not to take me, but she'd always use the car to get alcohol and drugs. That was never a problem and of course to go see her boyfriend (ex) , but I can't go out and have fun =/ Nobody out here wants to help me, or maybe I'm just not ready for the help. I don't know much, but I do know this. Not many people have helped me in my life. I feel like going back to the way I was which is only careing about myself because nobody else reallys cares and nobody is gonna help me out. I think I learned that if you really want something in life you gotta do it on your own. I only have 1 more year till I'm 18. I really do plan to move away , change my name and forget about this s***ty life my family has provided. I seriously hate them all and I can't take this crap anymore, the only thing that gets me going is my goal. I really do want to move on from this life and make a new one. I want to create my own family and where my ****ed up family failed I won't......I wish things didn't turn out they way they have :[

You might also be interested in:

Posted

Hi Archy,

I am sorry your mom is not more understanding towards your needs. I wonder if there is any other way for you to get around, can somebody come and pick you up?

I understand what is is like growing up in a dysfunctional family. I can understand you want to move out asap and do things differently.

It is not easy when you were not raised with feelings such as love and care, it is hard to open up to others and be able to have a relationship yourself.

I wish you good luck and hope you can find your own way in life and live happily ever after :bump:

SN :hearts:

Posted

thats horrible...but dont be mad at your mother...she'll pay for what shes doing...itll come back to her

I feel like going back to the way I was which is only careing about myself because nobody else reallys cares and nobody is gonna help me out.

^^ dont go back to the way your were!...and its not true that no one cares and nobody's gonna help you...its just that maybe youve been hanging out with the wrong people...or maybe they have tried to help you but you didnt let them...i wish you all the best with starting a new life

Posted

I am sorry that your family is this way. I can't imagine what you are going through. It seems that your mom has a lot of problems of her own. As you are 17 you need a mom, and it seems like you have had to be a parent to her instead, that is too much stress to take on for someone your age. You do have the right to be angry with her. Is there anyway you get out without having her drive you? Do you have a friend that could come pick you up ever just so you could get out of the house? I know what it is like to want to get out and not be able to, that drives me nuts. I remember being your age and not having anyone to spend time with, or not being able to go out, it was awful.

I don't know what the answer is to deal with your mom. Maybe there are some people on here that have dealt with parent who is an addict that might be able to help you. I hope so. I am sorry I cannot be more of a help. But it is good that you joined the forums and at least are able to talk to us about this.

Take care hun

Misfit :hearts:

Posted

well turns out my friend did take me out and I went over to my friends house and I had a great time with everyone which I needed. and Tonight I'm going out again, I'm so glad i'm not isolating myself anymore and starting to become more social again. I blew up yesterday writing that and I don't think I mean most of it. I can't desert my family the way my father did. I really do love them to death, but no child should go through what i'm going through. I had to work my a$$ off during the summer paying bills , food, ETC, because my parents sepearted and my dad is a dead beat loser. Anything I say about him is true, he's a god awful person and everything he is I won't be, but I can't run away from these problems. Although my mom has a lot of issues she's still hanging in there and she's going to try to fight her drug habbit sense her parents are in town and are going to help her. I think things will be better this new year, but I really want my dad to pay for everything he's done to tear his family apart and throw all these problems on my lap. It's just not right.

but thanks everyone who has been supportive and I'll of course try and hang in there and keep in touch and help the other members on the board.

I hope everyone has a happy new year and I truely pray we all overcome our issues and reach salvation and triumph over this depression

god bless

thanks once again.

Posted

well turns out my friend did take me out and I went over to my friends house and I had a great time with everyone which I needed. and Tonight I'm going out again, I'm so glad i'm not isolating myself anymore and starting to become more social again. I blew up yesterday writing that and I don't think I mean most of it. I can't desert my family the way my father did. I really do love them to death, but no child should go through what i'm going through. I had to work my a$$ off during the summer paying bills , food, ETC, because my parents sepearted and my dad is a dead beat loser. Anything I say about him is true, he's a god awful person and everything he is I won't be, but I can't run away from these problems. Although my mom has a lot of issues she's still hanging in there and she's going to try to fight her drug habbit sense her parents are in town and are going to help her. I think things will be better this new year, but I really want my dad to pay for everything he's done to tear his family apart and throw all these problems on my lap. It's just not right.

but thanks everyone who has been supportive and I'll of course try and hang in there and keep in touch and help the other members on the board.

I hope everyone has a happy new year and I truely pray we all overcome our issues and reach salvation and triumph over this depression

god bless

thanks once again.

Hi Archystone,

First I'm very sorry you are going through such a difficult time right now. I really admire you, for supporting your family and facing your problems head on the way you are doing. You are so young to be having to deal with all these things, and I think it's really good, that you have aspirations and goals for yourself and your life. I promise I don't mean to sound condescending, cause you are far ahead of me, but I do remember learning that if I really wanted something I had to make it happen on my own, that no one would do it for me and there was no one going to magically appear and help, that I had to help myself. I'm 29 now but remember all too well being 17, and going through at least some of the things and feeling some of the ways you are describing.

I don't think a change of environment would be such a bad thing when you do turn 18, I moved across town in with my grandparents and it made a world of difference in my life and in my outlook on life. I still talked to my mom and will always love her, but I never regret the change of atmosphere and stability that came with living with my grandparents and later on my own. Well, I'm not trying to give you any firm advice, I'm not very good at that, but want you to know I'm pulling for you and hope the new year does bring positive changes for you and your family. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing. Please take care of yourself, best wishes, Belle xx

Posted

I know how family can be. My mother is what you would call over bearing and judgemental. she also likes to play favorites. All of us kids hate it but what can we do. We have told her how we feel and she denies that she does it. I guess what we have all done is learned to keep our distance and that makes us feel better

Posted

Hi Archy,

I am so glad you did go out and are socializing more, it is so important in life :bump:

Happy New Year to you too,

SN :hearts:

Posted

Hey Archy,

I am glad you are feeling a little better. Sometimes we just need to blow up and vent...then we realize how irrational we felt at the time and almost laugh at ourselves for being so emotional. But it happens, and it is good to get it out of you.

I hope things continue to improve for you,

Misfit

Posted

thanks everyone, my new years went really really well and I had a lot of fun. My mom has been sobar so far so i'm thankful for that. I am opening up more and I've told 2 people so far I'm suffering from depression. I don't know when I'll let my family know and I don't know when I'll want help, but I'll get there or I'll get better. Hopefully get better.

and I hope everyone had a wonderful new years.

Posted

ArchyStone, as I was reading your posts I just kept thinking, wow, this person seems to know what is going on much more than I did at that age. I didn't let myself think of my problems, just tried to pretend and escape. You are already doing something about yours. I think you will do great things with your attitude and intellect. Its good that you love your family and can see the good side, its also good that you can let yourself be angry and vent when you need to.

Posted

Hey Archystone, you might know this already but sometimes a mother will have the right intention but uses very inefficient and misleading ways to achieve those proper goals.

Posted

Hey Archystone, you might know this already but sometimes a mother will have the right intention but uses very inefficient and misleading ways to achieve those proper goals.

i didn't realize that till recently, and I'm happy to report she's still clean and hasn't done any illegal substance, but she still drinks, but atleaste it's not drugs anymore and things just seem to be getting brigher. You guys have really been supportive and I can't stress how greatful I am for this site and the members.

Posted

hi everyone..plz do me a favour n help me to solve my major problem..i m a girl n got engaged 1 month ago before dat i didnt know anything abt my fiance's nature but after a month means abt a week ago v started talking to eachother on call n msgs but the prob is dat my family especially my mother n father doesn't allow me to talk wid him actually v belong to an eastern family n they r v narrow minded ...WHAT DO I DO..ME ARE MY FIANCE ARE MADLY IN LOVE WITH EACHOTHER N CANT LIVE WIDOUT EACHOTHER BUT MY PARENTS R THE BIG WALL B/W US :hearts: N COZ OF THAT I M HAVING LITTLE BIT FIGHT B/W ME N MY PARENTS REGULARLY..plz tellme what should i do...i m waiting for ur sincere advices tc :flowers: