Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Effexor And Appetite

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Big Fella

Big Fella

ID: 12878

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:43 PM

I have only been on effexor for four days, however I have noticed a dramitc change in my appetite. I haven't craved sweet things, and have not finished my plate once for three days. I seem feel fuller quicker and I don't find myself thinking about food half as much as I did, in fact the only tirgger to food has been the time, i.e "blimey it's 2 o clock I best eat"

Now for me this is a good thing as I could do with losing a few stone, not sure if this is a side affect or if the initial 'perk' has diminshed my craving for sugar to feel better.

How has effexor affected you appetite?

Edited by Big Fella, 29 December 2006 - 01:45 PM.

#2 Dwayne

Dwayne

ID: 11539

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:27 PM

I have only been on effexor for four days, however I have noticed a dramitc change in my appetite. I haven't craved sweet things, and have not finished my plate once for three days. I seem feel fuller quicker and I don't find myself thinking about food half as much as I did, in fact the only tirgger to food has been the time, i.e "blimey it's 2 o clock I best eat"

Now for me this is a good thing as I could do with losing a few stone, not sure if this is a side affect or if the initial 'perk' has diminshed my craving for sugar to feel better.

Generally it hasn't affected my appetite at all. It has reduced my urge to eat a bunch of junk at night.. mostly because I was doing that not because I was hungry but because I just "wanted something" but wasn't sure what. I got an increase in general well-being from it, along with a slightly increased energy level, which helps me be more active in the evenings... I used to eat more because I was restless or felt bad.

#3 firelizardee

firelizardee

Lifetime Platinum Mermber

ID: 21

• Premium Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:16 PM

I felt queasy for the first few days and that put me off my food but it didn't last.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

"Eat a live frog before breakfast and nothing worse will happen to you all day"
"Only Robinson Crusoe can get things done by Friday!"

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

UK help for people who are suicidal

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

#4 Made_in_Britain

Made_in_Britain

Advanced Member

ID: 10427

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:36 PM

My chocolate binges have diminished, over xmas I managed to eat just a few and didn't feel the need to finish the box!

Apart from that it hasn't affected my appetite.

Edited by Made_in_Britain, 02 January 2007 - 02:37 PM.

Posted Image

#5 calisto

calisto

ID: 10779

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:37 AM

I used to have periods where I would go all out with eating junk food, I would HAVE to have a bag of lollies at least twice a week. That seems to have totally died now though. I've actually lost 8 kilograms in the last 4 weeks, and that's weight I didn't need to lose.

I now have to really force myself to have 3 meals a day.

#6 Goldstar

Goldstar

Advanced Member

ID: 8354

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:44 AM

I have actually noticed that I've been eating abit less lately, and I eat loads normally, always finish my plate. But I've been forcing myself to eat everything.

'There is no substitute for inner peace and happiness'

#7 scorpio

scorpio

Just Registered

ID: 13290

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:38 PM

I have been on Effexor XR for over a year now and I do not think it works at all. I started at 37.5 mg and worked my way up to 300 mg and when I forget to take it it feels like I have a hangover. I still felt depressed and sad but I've been taking it so I don't have to deal with the side effects. I'm weaning myself off of it now because it's not doing anything and I don't want to be on medication anymore. I'm now down to 37.5 mg every night (I take the medicine at night so I sleep through the nausia) and I'm almost through with it. I would try another medicine if I were you.

Generally it hasn't affected my appetite at all. It has reduced my urge to eat a bunch of junk at night.. mostly because I was doing that not because I was hungry but because I just "wanted something" but wasn't sure what. I got an increase in general well-being from it, along with a slightly increased energy level, which helps me be more active in the evenings... I used to eat more because I was restless or felt bad.

#8 Big Fella

Big Fella

ID: 12878

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:29 PM

I have been on 150mg for nine weeks now and haven't felt this good in years, horses for courses.

#9 Flipp

Flipp

ID: 16970

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:24 AM

I am starting my 4 week on Effexor Xr today. This is also the AD I have ever taken. Has it affected my appetite, yes. My appetite is completely gone. I am about 6'0" and 151 lbs. and I love food. The last thing I need is to lose weight from not eating. I have found that I have to find a way to remind myself to eat at all. I have had days since I have been on the Effexor that where I didn't eat at all. Hopefully this isn't a permanent SE of the drug, if so I will be looking for something else I think. I love my food too much, hehe.

#10 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

ID: 9557

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:14 PM

Flipp:

Many people lose their appetite when starting Effexor. Rest assured, this SE is only temporary. Be sure to mention it to your doc, as he/she should be aware of all SEs you are experiencing.

Be sure to keep us posted on this.

:hearts:

-Bean
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users