Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Can Zoloft Make You Feel Numb?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Belle29

Belle29

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:22 PM

I've been on this close to 6wks I guess, the past couple days I've just felt numb inside, wondering if it is cause of the med or if it's just me? There's no way I could cry, though I do feel pretty depressed now, but mostly just numbness, can't get excited about much of anything, not much motivation, just numb-sorry kind of hard to explain.

Is this what antid's are supposed to do? Sort of like block every feeling out?

Thanks, Belle xx

#2 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:02 PM

Belle:

I, too, have experienced numbness, but not necessarily from Zoloft, although the med is a possible cause. Some meds, including Zoloft, can cause to experience a lack of feeling. It's like you're just not getting any joy out of living. Depression also causes this numb feeling. It really is hard to tell if it's the Zoloft or the depression.

Have you felt this way before taking Zoloft?

You should call your doc, tell him what's going on.

In may sound funny, but an increased dosage could be the answer.

Sorry I couldn't give you a definite answer. Please keep us posted.

-Bean
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#3 Belle29

Belle29

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:19 PM

Hey Bean,

How are you doing? No, I haven't really felt like this before taking the zoloft, I was just feeling pretty hopeless or either agitated and irritable all the time before starting it. I have sort of an aversion to going to the doctor, sometimes don't keep my appts or cancel them, missed my last one but you're right I should call up there or something. Thanks for your help, hope you are doing ok, Belle xx

#4 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:23 PM

Belle:

I know what you mean. I can't begin to count all of the doc appts I've missed. Anxiety is a heck of a thing!

I know it's hard, but at least call your doc. He/She needs to know what's going on.

Like I said, I've experienced numbness, but it was always connected to depression, not the meds I was on.

Be sure to keep us posted. We care.

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#5 Guest_drgonofdispair_*

Guest_drgonofdispair_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:04 AM

I've been on this close to 6wks I guess, the past couple days I've just felt numb inside, wondering if it is cause of the med or if it's just me? There's no way I could cry, though I do feel pretty depressed now, but mostly just numbness, can't get excited about much of anything, not much motivation, just numb-sorry kind of hard to explain.

Thanks, Belle xx

Hi Belle,
the symptoms you describe are (atleast I believe) your depression along with the anti depressant working. I usually feel empty and numb but I prefer numb to flat out crying and my ever present death wish. I took zoloft a couple of times and it was. I couldn't stand the side effect I experienced. I'm currently on lexapro. It has worked better for me than anything else but when the world keeps crashing down on me then nothing works. I have been battling depression my whole life. I hope you can get better
The Dragon

*Forum Admin note: Please know that everyone is different on these meds and your mileage may vary! (YMMV)

Edited by Forum Admin, 31 December 2006 - 02:14 PM.

#6 Belle29

Belle29

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 10:50 AM

Thanks, Belle xx

Hi Belle,
the symptoms you describe are (atleast I believe) your depression along with the anti depressant working. I usually feel empty and numb but I prefer numb to flat out crying and my ever present death wish. I took zoloft a couple of times and it was worse than taking speed. I'm currently on lexapro. It has worked better for me than anything else but when the world keeps crashing down on me then nothing works. I have been battling depression my whole life. I hope you can get better
The Dragon

Hi Dragon,
That sounds alot like me, right now I'm preferring the numbness to the other stuff I was feeling when taking no meds. Lexapro was suggested to me but I haven't tried that one, only prozac before the zoloft. Thank you for your well wishes and your reply, wishing you all the best as well, take care, Belle xx

#7 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 10:01 PM

Belle:

When you say you're feeling numb, do mean no emotions whatsoever, or do you mean that sort of detached, surreal feeling? I'm just trying to get a handle on what you're feeling, that's all.

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#8 Belle29

Belle29

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 10:44 PM

Belle:

When you say you're feeling numb, do mean no emotions whatsoever, or do you mean that sort of detached, surreal feeling? I'm just trying to get a handle on what you're feeling, that's all.

-Bean

Hi Bean, I think it's like the extreme feelings of despair I was having have evened out somewhat. I still feel like talking to people and having a good time (probably will later tonight haha). I still care and worry about people close to me but feel numb to any really extreme emotions, I never could cry for the past several years but absolutely couldn't now. I'm just not sure, if this is what antid's are supposed to do, I've only ever been on prozac before this zoloft. Trying to be positive about it though, I don't really feel detatched in any way, just like I'm not having near as much frustration and agitation about every little thing as I was before. Thank you for asking about me, hope you are doing ok, take care, Belle xx

#9 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 10:48 PM

Belle:

Ah, now I get what you mean. I've experienced those feelings from time to time. It's like everything is just there and you don't really care. It could be the Zoloft - discuss this with your doc - but could also be just good old fashioned depression. It's like the Zoloft as lifted the more severe feelings of depression, but left an empty hole, right?

Definitely bring this up at your next doc appt.

If your experience is anything like mine, it does get better. It just takes time.

Happy New Year!!!

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#10 Belle29

Belle29

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 10:55 PM

Belle:

Ah, now I get what you mean. I've experienced those feelings from time to time. It's like everything is just there and you don't really care. It could be the Zoloft - discuss this with your doc - but could also be just good old fashioned depression. It's like the Zoloft as lifted the more severe feelings of depression, but left an empty hole, right?

Definitely bring this up at your next doc appt.

If your experience is anything like mine, it does get better. It just takes time.

Happy New Year!!!

-Bean

Hi Bean, yes it is definitely like the most extreme stuff is gone but has left an empty hole. I'm scared to ask about anything else cause the prozac, well let's just say I had a really bad side effect from it, and am not having that from this zoloft, definitely a good thing! I do hope it gets better with time, it has already in fact, I was so nauseated at first but that has lessened so I can stick all this other stuff out too. Thank you for your encouragement and hope you have a happy new year too, Belle xx
Oh, can I ask you, what do the terms pdoc and tdoc mean? I have seen them on posts before but am not sure. I have a family dr, where I get the zoloft, and a cardiologist but am not sure about those terms. Thanks, Belle xx

Edited by Belle29, 31 December 2006 - 11:24 PM.

#11 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 12:23 AM

Oh, can I ask you, what do the terms pdoc and tdoc mean? I have seen them on posts before but am not sure. I have a family dr, where I get the zoloft, and a cardiologist but am not sure about those terms. Thanks, Belle xx

Belle:

Glad you asked. I bet some others are wondering, too. Once upon a time, I, too, wondered.

pdoc = psychiatrist

tdoc = therapist (I use this term when referring to my psychologist)

Hope this helps clear things up.

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#12 Belle29

Belle29

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 02:21 PM

Hi Bean, I see now, thanks for telling me! Belle xx

#13 terrifictuesdays47

terrifictuesdays47

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 05:50 PM

Have you talked to your doctor? There's always options of changing the dose or medication altogether. It generally takes 4-6 weeks to kick in and you are at that point right now. Everyone reacts differently to medications. Zoloft made me feel more normal and I could handle things better, plus I was just happier in general. I hope and pray it gets better for you.

Thanks, Belle xx

#14 Ajumbledmess

Ajumbledmess

• Platinum Member
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:06 PM

I dont feel numb all over but i do notice that almost nothing gets me all riled up anymore. but i guess thats a good thing

Posted ImageAjumbledmessPosted Image

"Sometimes we need to hurt in order to grow we must fail in order to know we must lose in order to gain some lessons are learned best through pain."

#15 Belle29

Belle29

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:35 AM

Have you talked to your doctor? There's always options of changing the dose or medication altogether. It generally takes 4-6 weeks to kick in and you are at that point right now. Everyone reacts differently to medications. Zoloft made me feel more normal and I could handle things better, plus I was just happier in general. I hope and pray it gets better for you.

Thanks, Belle xx

Hi there telephofee,
I haven't talked to my dr yet but am hoping to have an appt this week. I am doing much better on the zoloft as opposed to nothing, this numbness is preferable to me as opposed to the hopelssness and stuff I was feeling, so I hate to stop it, but I'll def. talk it over with him and see what he says. Thank you so much for your prayers and your reply. Glad to hear it was helpful for you. Please take care, Belle xx

#16 Belle29

Belle29

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:38 AM

I dont feel numb all over but i do notice that almost nothing gets me all riled up anymore. but i guess thats a good thing

Hi there Heather,
That's definitely a good thing and I think I know what you are talking about :) I don't feel destroyed and shattered over every little thing like I used to and don't get nearly as riled up when something unexpected happens. Glad to hear it is helping you at least in that way, hope it continues to do so, take care, Belle xx

#17 83743t

83743t

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:12 AM

i just started Zoloft. i'm not sure if it'll make me number than i already am, and if it does (and antid's do to some degree), what's the point of them??! :hearts:

#18 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:08 AM

83743t:

I know it's frustrating dealing with switching meds, all of the side effects, and the new symptoms these meds seem to bring about. Hang in there. You will find the right meds. It may just take a while. But once you do find the right combo, it's be like a whole new world for you.

Please keep us posted on your progress and any med changes.

Remember, we're all here whenever you need us. :hearts:

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#19 Ajumbledmess

Ajumbledmess

• Platinum Member
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:32 AM

The point is to try. This drug or any for that matter will have different effects on different ppl. Some may need to combine this one with another to make that person feel rite. i hope that you find the med or meds that have you lose that numb feeling. good luck and keep us posted

"Sometimes we need to hurt in order to grow we must fail in order to know we must lose in order to gain some lessons are learned best through pain."

#20 Guest_beaches09_*

Guest_beaches09_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:38 PM

Yes zoloft can make you very numb. While it does very much increase outgoingness/extroversion/confidence, etc. It can you make you pretty freakin numb. When I was on it I became "the man" able to do anything with ease and incredibly confident etc. But yeah I was numb. So numb that I even ignored very great potential relationships that I could have been in, numerous times I'll say. Because I didn't need them. I felt so good without anyone I didn't need a thing. But it was a numbing type of good not a "real" type of good.

I just noticed this was an ancient old thread. My mistake. You can blame the board for putting this thread in my little quick links box on the bottom of my page. I just assumed this was an active going thread.

Edited by beaches09, 17 May 2009 - 02:41 PM.

#21 almost_ready

almost_ready

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:14 PM

feeling numb is my main reason for considering coming off zoloft. ive been on it for so long (around 8 years) that i dont really remember how i expressed my emotions before. i do know that all of my emotions feel muted now, or non existent, if that makes sense. any one else been effected enough by this to come off/ switch meds?

#22 Ajumbledmess

Ajumbledmess

• Platinum Member
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:22 PM

I think it can happen with any med. i would tell you that the best thing that you can do is tell your Dr what is going on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users