Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Can Never Sleep??

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 laurenamber

laurenamber

ID: 115125

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

this is my current sleeping pattern, if you could call it that: I go to sleep around 5/6/7am, wake up at 12pm. it's either that or I don't sleep for a few days (I currently haven't slept for two)

it also feels like no matter how much sleep I get, even if I sleep well for a few days I'm still absolutely exhausted and my body aches

I just wanted to see if anyone has used sleeping pills and have found they help regulate their sleeping pattern? I really want to sleep as I hate being alone at night and it makes me feel worse but I'm also scared of putting loads of pills in my body.

anyone else struggling to sleep?  :yawn: tired of being tired x

Edited by laurenamber, 09 October 2013 - 12:54 PM.

'lost girls wouldn't need compasses or maps.. they would never sleep in silver boxes with white velvet sheets, not until they were wrinkled-paper grandmas and ready for the trip'

#2 superethicaldisentrail

superethicaldisentrail

ID: 112027

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

I'm currently in the same cycle as you. Not sleeping until the sun is up and then waking around midday. If I try to force myself to sleep at a normal time I fail, basically. I've never tried sleeping pills as my doctor and I agree they're a last resort, but a last resort is still an option if it's been going on for a long time. Sleep is really important. Talk to your doctor about it.

I find that in order to get myself back in shape I need someone to religiously wake me up every morning, no matter what time I fell asleep the night before. Whether it's that they call me every morning at 9am or physically come in and shake me. Eventually I get so tired that one day I go to bed at 9pm and wake up at a normal time the next day. I can never get my pattern back by myself, though. I always need help. :/

#3 laurenamber

laurenamber

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

I'm currently in the same cycle as you. Not sleeping until the sun is up and then waking around midday. If I try to force myself to sleep at a normal time I fail, basically. I've never tried sleeping pills as my doctor and I agree they're a last resort, but a last resort is still an option if it's been going on for a long time. Sleep is really important. Talk to your doctor about it.

I find that in order to get myself back in shape I need someone to religiously wake me up every morning, no matter what time I fell asleep the night before. Whether it's that they call me every morning at 9am or physically come in and shake me. Eventually I get so tired that one day I go to bed at 9pm and wake up at a normal time the next day. I can never get my pattern back by myself, though. I always need help. :/

... sigh. looks like there's no way to break it.

I like your idea of getting woken up early, might try that with alarms.. maybe you could do the same.

do you find sleeping normally even helps your depression?? for me it doesn't make a massive impact

thanks for the reply x

'lost girls wouldn't need compasses or maps.. they would never sleep in silver boxes with white velvet sheets, not until they were wrinkled-paper grandmas and ready for the trip'

#4 superethicaldisentrail

superethicaldisentrail

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

I try it with alarms when I'm away from home. I set three or four of them and put my clock or phone on the window away from my bed so I have to physically get out of bed to turn it off. I find that after a long spell of really bad sleep, I feel a little better after one good night. I'm not talking glitter and angel dust better, but physically I feel more capable even if my mood is down in hell somewhere.

I'll make a deal with you. What time do you have to be up tomorrow? We can both do it and see how it goes.

#5 capett02

capett02

ID: 115035

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

This is a hot topic for me. I have to get up at 5:30 a.m. every morning for work. I rarely go to bed before midnight and I usually wake up around 2 or 2:30 and can't get back to sleep for 30 minutes or so. Then I typically wake up promptly at 4:30 and take about 15 minutes to get back to sleep. Then my alarm goes off 45 minutes later. My sleep has been totally jacked for about a year now. I can totally relate to your sleep problem and sympathize with you. Sorry I don't have any answers.

#6 superethicaldisentrail

superethicaldisentrail

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

A year? I don't know if I could handle that. A few weeks of messed up sleep for me and I've regressed to the point where being confronted with colour, or sound, or life-changing decisions like "butter or marmalade?" cause me to break down helplessly into a sobbing mess on the floor because my arms are too weak to hold the knife anyway. Sleep is so important. D:

#7 laurenamber

laurenamber

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

superethicaldisentrail - I don't really have to be up at a certain time, but shall we say 9? and I'm with you on the butter or marmalade situation, the other week I was in tears because I made bad tea 

capett02 - sorry it's been going on for so long, mine has been a few months. I hope you can regulate it, I'm sorry too.. 

x

#8 laurenamber

laurenamber

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

sorry new to this, not sure if you can see my reponses without me quoting what you said!

#9 superethicaldisentrail

superethicaldisentrail

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

I can, no worries. 9am sounds like a plan. We should post back here in the event we are successful.

#10 Saros

Saros

Advanced Member

ID: 112468

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

Laurenamber-

I've been on a similar schedule for about a year. Chronic low-quality sleep can exacerbate depression and inhibit recovery. It can also lead to hallucinations and seizures (for some people) (among other things no one wants).

Having a 9-5 job will really be a kick in the pants to get you on a better cycle. With no job, I try and make appointments and schedule things with peers in the mornings to try and help me get up and maybe reset my clock. Exercise during the day (not at night) helps very much. Finally, and do at least this if nothing else: get 15 minutes or more sunlight a day.

Some people use melatonin supplements and say they work. I tried them and there was no observable effect. Sleep aids using the same mechanism as antihistamine medication are terrible (for me). YMMV. I may try prescribed sleeping pills soon, they've been offered by my pdoc and sleep is more important than my dislike of pills, I think.

#11 laurenamber

laurenamber

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

sounds like a plan, I'll be posting then. x

saros - I do have a job that means an early wake up (dance teacher), but I've been on sick leave so my sleeping pattern has gone even more downhill.. 

thank you so much for the advice, I guess being active and outdoors is the key. I hope everything works out for you and I'm sorry you have to go through this x

#12 bettybooper

bettybooper

ID: 93863

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:48 PM

I used to suffer like this, would be sooooo tired go to bed and bang wide awake.  Would eventually fall asleep around 2 am and wake up again at 3.30 am, fall back to sleep about 6 with the alarm going off at 7 Went on for about months and drove me insane as I was too tired to think properly and it made my depression worse.

Someone on here gave a link Jody Whiteley on You Tube. That really helps as she talks you through relaxation (esp the jaw), breathing and although I was sceptical at first it really helped I have slept so much better since learning the techniques.

Nothing to lose by trying it...except some time. But seeing as though you are going to be lay awake looking at the ceiling you might as well try it ;-)

#13 laurenamber

laurenamber

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:55 PM

bettybooper - thank you, I've actually looked at that video on youtube and I normally have my 'arms wide open' to any form of help and am willing to try anything - but her voice is creepy enough to keep me up for months on end! think it'd do the reverse. glad it worked for you x

#14 Bizarro

Bizarro

ID: 114645

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:00 PM

I don't work, nobody ever stops by, and I don't have to be anyplace at any certain time so I just sleep when I'm tired.

Until recently, when I got put on a small dose of Klonopin, that resulted in my sleep cycle moving around the clock. I only slept for about 6 hours at a time, so the time I woke up continually moved around the clock. I might be going to bed at 10pm one day and a couple months later be waking up at that time.

Last night I went to bed about 10pm, woke up at 1:30am, stayed up watching TV till I took  my benzo about 6am, then went back to sleep till 1:30pm. I'm going to bid on something on eBay at 7am tomorrow morning, so I'll set the alarm for about 6am. That way if I'm asleep it will give me time to get up and make coffee, or if I'm already up to get ready to bid.

The benzo has been a blessing. I can get a good night sleep now, but they are very addictive. If you ever go through benzo withdrawals you'll wish you had never seen one in your life. I went through full blown Xanax withdrawals and only slept for 20 minutes at a time every 36 hours for a month, and I never wanted to go to sleep so bad in my life.

#15 laurenamber

laurenamber

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

bizarro - it's hard isn't it? wanting to sleep but being so unable. maybe our racing minds prevent us, our minds aren't on our sides x

I also think it'd be good if you had some structure in your life to regulate your sleeping pattern - I can't talk, I don't have any - but then you'd have a reason to sleep at a certain time and wake up at a certain time and perhaps naturally your body clock will adjust to your new life. x

Edited by laurenamber, 09 October 2013 - 07:13 PM.

#16 Bizarro

Bizarro

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

The mind racing does have a lot to do with it, for me anyway. The one thing I've found that works for me is counting backwards from 100 in my mind. That keeps it from racing and is more likely to let me fall asleep.

It usually takes more than one time through, but I just start back from 100 and count at a slow regular rate. At some point I'll notice myself start to miss numbers, and this is when I'm starting to fall asleep. I don't let it take me out of my rhythm, just go with it and keep counting. It usually isn't long after that I'll fall asleep.

After laying there so long though, if it's evident I'm not going to be able to go to sleep I'll just get up and watch TV for a while.

It really doesn't make any difference if I'm awake during the day or at night, and I actually prefer to be up at night. It's quieter then and I don't have to deal with my neighbor. The stores are open 24/7 so if I have to go shoppping I can do that at night too.

• mkmurph88 likes this

#17 laurenamber

laurenamber

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:33 PM

bizarro - wow. thank you so much for sharing your number counting technique, I'm struggling to sleep right now so I'm going to give it a go. 

do you find it normally works? yeah, my mind is always so busy even when I'm not thinking about anything it's ******* me.

I'm glad you're not bothered about the times you sleep, makes all this easier to an extent, what's up with your neighbour? haha

I just feel like I'm 'missing the day' even though I spend my day in bed either way. x

#18 capett02

capett02

ID: 115035

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:00 PM

Just got back home and was catching up on the posts in this thread. I like the idea of counting backwards from 100. It is a boring, mudane, task that might just work. It does however take some concentration, hence the focus on the numbers instead of all the other crap. I might just give it a try. Thanks. And as far as the sleep being messed up for a year now - well, let's just say I'm used to it. I have however hallucinated a couple of times when I went a couple of days at a time without any sleep. Thanks folks. This is helpful. Hope you are sleeping by now and read my response tomorrow. :nod:

#19 falloutgurl

falloutgurl

ID: 114387

• PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:55 PM

You know what?  I went through the craziest period of insomnia after my divorce.  I struggled to find sleep.  I remember being awake for days on end- it got to the point where I felt crazy from lack of sleep. I used to lie in bed, on my side, and close my eyes- but sleep never came, no matter how hard I tried to make it happen.  Nothing worse- everything about you is exhausted but you can't get any relief. 

I remember the day I saw my Family Doc- I'll never forget that day.  She prescribed me 5mg of immovane to help me sleep.  I slept that night- something I hadn't done in ages.  I still take it now and then.  I don't depend on it.  I keep the prescription filled and use it as needed.

Sleep is so important- you need it. 

#20 superethicaldisentrail

superethicaldisentrail

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:55 AM

LAURENAMBER, I'm up. Exhausted, but up. Gonna try to stay up until bedtime...at like nine. Hope to see you here.

#21 Lost Sparrow

Lost Sparrow

ID: 89214

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:00 AM

Hi laurenamber,

Medications like antidepressants can sometimes mess up your sleep cycle, so if you're on medication, (which you may not be,) you might want to talk to your doctor about changing it. I didn't sleep more than an hour or two a night for nearly a year on one of the antidepressants I tried. If you're not on antidepressants, this post is probably irrelevant, but I thought I'd put the thought out there.

All the best with finding better sleep!

#22 Darrith

Darrith

Advanced Member

ID: 104055

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:07 AM

If anyone cannot sleep after taking 150 to 300mg's Seroquel, then they have a serious sleeping problem.  As an insomniac myself, I find Seroquel to be a fantastic sleep inducer.  (I don't take it primarily for sleep)  Remron is also very effective.  The two combined are just perfect for me.  I wake up each morning refreshed after a good night's sleep.

Diagnosis: Major Depressive disorder and Bipolar 2 mood disorder.
Current medication: Seroquel 300 mg twice a day (Generic Quetoser) Lexamil (Escitalopram) 20mg, Epilim CR 500 (Sodium Valporate) 3 times a day, Rivotril (Clonazepam) 0,5 mg twice a day and Adco-Mirteron (generic for Remron) 30mg at night.

#23 laurenamber

laurenamber

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:09 AM

superethicaldisentrail - I woke up at around the same time as you, but only managed 4 hours worth of sleep. how did you sleep?

exhausted too. message me if you want and we can try and keep eachother up.

lost sparrow - thank you. I am on antidepressants, I'll talk to my doctor about it x

#24 laurenamber

laurenamber

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:10 AM

darrith - glad you have found something that works for you, gives me hope! x

#25 Bizarro

Bizarro

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

bizarro - wow. thank you so much for sharing your number counting technique, I'm struggling to sleep right now so I'm going to give it a go. 

do you find it normally works? yeah, my mind is always so busy even when I'm not thinking about anything it's ******* me.

That's something I came up with when I was in the 5th or 6th grade over 40 years ago. The counting is something you can do almost automatically and focuses you just enough to keep your mind from racing without the effort of having to concentrate on doing it.

It's kind of like self-hypnosis and the only thing I've ever found besides meds that help me go to sleep, if I'm not too wound up. Unless I'm medicated I usually don't sleep more than 4 hours, and consider 6 hours a full nights sleep.

#26 laurenamber

laurenamber

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:53 AM

bizarro - I did it and when I started missing numbers I knew I was actually tired and fell asleep not long after, thank you I will keep using this! sounds like you've helped a lot of people by posting it.

yeah me too, 6 hours is a godsend! x

• Bizarro likes this

#27 superethicaldisentrail

superethicaldisentrail

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

Slept poorly, but tired enough that I might actually be fine tonight. I'll DM you in the morning then, see how we fare.

#28 svendorrian

svendorrian

ID: 17910

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

without meds I would not be able to sleep at all. One time without meds I went for a week and slept only four hours and I was becomeing unstable.

Edited by svendorrian, 10 October 2013 - 01:01 PM.

My diagnonsis: Major Depression, PTSD, social anxiety disorder. Issues are chronic-permanent. On Antidepressants and Antipsychotics indefintiely. Mental Stability is an issue and it is monitored. Source: military combat tours. Therapy and Treatment is ongoing.

#29 laurenamber

laurenamber

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

superethicaldisentrail - good to hear, glad you feel sleepy. let's hope it stays that way and sounds like a plan. fell asleep in the bath for a good hour, annoying x

svendorrian - wow, it's crazy that we can get to such extremes. glad you're able to sleep now x

#30 BSMJ2001

BSMJ2001

ID: 115128

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

I have been on a horrible sleep cycle. I go to bed around 10 or 11 and up again by 2 or 3. I'm trying some new medications, but most I have tried so far have not helped. It is hard only getting 3 or 4 hours of sleep a night. I usually can't get back to sleep once I'm awake. My mind starts running 100 miles per hour! This has been going on for over a year, but I've seen the doctor several times the past week and they are really trying to help me. I hope to see some releif soon, but it's a hardd cycle to break. My internal clock just will not let me sleep whenever. I try to catch a few hours of sleep on my day off, but it's hard.

#31 laurenamber

laurenamber

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

bsmj2001 - yeah, it is hard. it's harder when you go to sleep to wake up a few hours later. sometimes I want to claw my brain out. I'm glad you're trying to get help for your sleeping troubles, your doctors sound like they really care. x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users