Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

whats the max dose you took on paxil

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 coaxle

coaxle

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:47 PM

Just wandering what the highest dose for people on Paxil. Mine is 50mg right now.
Anybody
Carolyn

#2 ChrisB

ChrisB

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:19 AM

Just wandering what the highest dose for people on Paxil. Mine is 50mg right now.
Anybody
Carolyn

I went up to 50mgs of Paxil too a few years ago. I only stayed on that high a does for 6 months though and as things improved I very slowly weaned it down to 20mgs over a few months and then stayed on 20mgs as a maintenance dose. I did find that on 50mg the side effects were a bit worse but were still quite tolerable. The sexual side effects (difficulty with orgasm) were a bit worse, I had quite disturbed sleep and I sweated a lot but apart from that it did help a lot and I tolerated it OK. Hope this helps.

#3 Aerial

Aerial

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:03 AM

I was on 20mg of Paxil for several years. My phsychiatrist upped it to 30mg, after I lost my Mom to a massive stroke, four months ago. I haven't had any side effects, to speak of (a light sexual side effect). I've read that 60mgs is the maximum dose.

Take care! :hearts:
Posted ImagePosted Image

"We've been around, we fall, we fly
We mostly fall, we mostly run
And every now and then we try
To mend the damage that we've done..."

(Song of Bernadette, lyrics by Leonard Cohen)

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time." James Taylor

#4 amerikasend

amerikasend

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:29 PM

I wasn't on this med very long. I took 20mg. I hated this stuff. I ended up be nausous, light headed/dizzy, had real bad diarrhea (I was a human espresso machine, brewing up non-stop butt coffee), bad headaches. It was like I constantly had diarrhea. That stopped after I stopped taking this med
"Atheists are suffering from bad PR What if Sesame Street had an atheist character?"
-Dan Barker

#5 Stickysen

Stickysen

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:25 AM

I was on 20 mg for a year, worked well for me then...then I was off it for a year.
Back on it again when things started going bad again, 20 mg, but that didn't do anything for me anymore.
So GP suggested I take 40 mg....

For some reason I think this medicine wasn't good for me second time around and taking a higher dosage didn't help at all.
I also had diarrhea and felt it made me agitated and more aggressive then I already was.

I am now off it and feel like I have more of myself back. The good bits of me.

Edited by Stickysen, 30 January 2007 - 07:26 AM.

#6 adorabelle

adorabelle

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:30 PM

hi coaxle,

there is no universal max dosage for paxil, it is decided by ur doc - depending on how high ur tolerance will get - some people r fine with very low dosages for most of the time, but then there are some that need to have a regular increase depending on ur tolerance - ur doc will make sure ur body won't get more than u can handle,

~adorabelle
I'm too positive to be doubtful, too optimistic to be fearful and way too determined to be defeated. 

goldenvelope1jr.gif

#7 fingaz

fingaz

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:15 AM

i'm currently on 60 mgs, i also take 60 mgs of remeron, ( one 30mg tab in the morning and one at night), this probably helps me sleep well, however, when at work it is almost like iam on meth or something but this should subside as my body adjusts, i've been on 60mgs of paxil for a week now, up from 40 mgs.

#8 suziecue40

suziecue40

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:46 PM

My doc put me a little higher then what the CPS maximum is of 60 mg, I was on 75mg. It felt no different then being on 40mg and took 3 months to completely ween of paxil... which was horrible.

#9 gmcclean

gmcclean

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:02 AM

I have been taking Paxil for nearly 12 years. I began with 20mg and moved up to 60mg within the first couple months. Over the years I was weaned down to 20mg which kept me stable until this summer when I had to be hospitalized twice because my depression got so severe. I was moved up to 70mg of Paxil while in hospital. I reacted very badly to the increase (I got severe shakes, horrible anxiety, and more depressed). The dosage was lowered to 30mg, but I still reacted poorly, so the dosage was lowered again back to 20mg which I could tolerate. Because my episodes were so severe this past summer, 20mg of Paxil was no longer enough to keep me stable. I obviously couldn't tolerate more that 20mg, so my doc began introducing other meds in addition to the Paxil.

While in hospital, the resident pharmacist referred to Paxil as "less gentle" than other anti-depressants in the same class.

#10 justmakinit

justmakinit

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:02 PM

I was on PAXIL for 5 1/2 years.
January 2001 through May 2005.
My high was 60 mg.
I crashed and burned when Paxil had their formulary f*&^up and stopped production for 4 months. The Generic was way outside the Paxil norm and did not do me any good.
By the time Paxil came back in production I had "Cold Turkey"ed off and I saw how messed up it had made me.

I still don't have back full sexual capability. It screwed with my Prostate operation so my urinary function was impacted. I am still constipated and I still have all the food alergies I developed on Paxil.

I am at 0 mg and will never take any sort of mind altering drugs again!!!

Paxil did not make me better, it just made me not care that I was not functioning.

#11 Guest_Noca_*

Guest_Noca_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:28 PM

im on 80mgs of paxil

#12 AloneInTheDark

AloneInTheDark

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:40 PM

im on 80mgs of paxil

MY DOC JUST UPPED ME TO 40 MG OF PAXIL ONCE A DAY ALONG WITH TOPAMAX 25 MG,KLONOPIN 1MG TWICE A DAY ,NEURONTIN 100MG1 3X A DAY, ALSO LUNESTA 3 MG..

#13 old friend

old friend

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:35 PM

im on 80mgs of paxil

MY DOC JUST UPPED ME TO 40 MG OF PAXIL ONCE A DAY ALONG WITH TOPAMAX 25 MG,KLONOPIN 1MG TWICE A DAY ,NEURONTIN 100MG1 3X A DAY, ALSO LUNESTA 3 MG..

Looking up what these drugs are used for, I see that you are very anxious, suffer from seizures and can't sleep. My sympathies are with you. Go easy on the Klonapin, it's addictive and loses efficacy. Not recommended for more than two weeks. I'd be inclined to get a second and third opinion to see if these drugs are really what you need! in trials of Paxil a few people developed seizures! For about the first year on Paxil I would occasionally get a feeling like an electric shock while sleeping and kick very violently. At other times I would wake up in agony because I had bitten my tongue. I understand that these things are classified as minor seizures. If you do a search on Paroxetine (paxil) you will find that caution is needed in patients with a history of seizures.
We are all in this together! All faiths and non faiths as ONE! Brothers and Sisters standing together, shoulder to shoulder against our enemy- Mental Illness!

#14 BetterThanB4

BetterThanB4

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:49 PM

Anybody
Carolyn

Hello All--

I started out on 30 mg. daily of Paxil about eight years ago, then slowly increased to 40 mg., then 60 mg., and finally to 80 mg., which I have been on for at least five years. I need 80 mg. daily to handle tension, and lately I have even supplemented the Paxil with a small (2.5 mg.) dose of diazepam.

I haven't posted here in some time, but I remember there were several people who were taking 80 mg. per day.
Yes, our doctors know about this and approve it because they know that some patients need this much for the drug to work. And Paxil does work great for me. The biggest side effects for me have been significant weight gain and diminished sexual performance. But I still take Paxil and would recommend it to others.

When starting up Paxil years ago, I remember having loose bowel movements for three and a half weeks, while my body was getting adjusted to this new medication. But I persevered and within six weeks or so, I really started to experience the benefits of this drug. I urge new users of Paxil not to give up on it during this intro. phase, as long as you can tolerate whatever initial side effects it may have for you. You may be "just around the corner" from
finding that Paxil is the best drug for you. At least, this was my own experience.

BetterThanB4

#15 grant1

grant1

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 05:35 PM

Anybody
Carolyn

Hello All--

I started out on 30 mg. daily of Paxil about eight years ago, then slowly increased to 40 mg., then 60 mg., and finally to 80 mg., which I have been on for at least five years. I need 80 mg. daily to handle tension, and lately I have even supplemented the Paxil with a small (2.5 mg.) dose of diazepam.

I haven't posted here in some time, but I remember there were several people who were taking 80 mg. per day.
Yes, our doctors know about this and approve it because they know that some patients need this much for the drug to work. And Paxil does work great for me. The biggest side effects for me have been significant weight gain and diminished sexual performance. But I still take Paxil and would recommend it to others.

When starting up Paxil years ago, I remember having loose bowel movements for three and a half weeks, while my body was getting adjusted to this new medication. But I persevered and within six weeks or so, I really started to experience the benefits of this drug. I urge new users of Paxil not to give up on it during this intro. phase, as long as you can tolerate whatever initial side effects it may have for you. You may be "just around the corner" from
finding that Paxil is the best drug for you. At least, this was my own experience.

BetterThanB4

hello wonder if you could help was on 40mg paxil and 200mg trazadone helped me sleep i came off medication about 5 months ago depression came back bad went back on same medication about 5 weeks now dont seem to be working as they did before do think going up to 50 of the paxil might help how did it help you thankyou

#16 yorkie8971

yorkie8971

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:59 PM

im on 80mgs of paxil

WOW im on 40mg and thinking of going to 60mg and i thought that was high,i guess all individuals are different. Ive been taking 40mg for 6 weeks now but i know i need more so after 2 months im sure i will be on 60mg.

#17 toopunkrawk

toopunkrawk

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:56 PM

im on 80mgs of paxil

Looking up what these drugs are used for, I see that you are very anxious, suffer from seizures and can't sleep. My sympathies are with you. Go easy on the Klonapin, it's addictive and loses efficacy. Not recommended for more than two weeks. I'd be inclined to get a second and third opinion to see if these drugs are really what you need! in trials of Paxil a few people developed seizures! For about the first year on Paxil I would occasionally get a feeling like an electric shock while sleeping and kick very violently. At other times I would wake up in agony because I had bitten my tongue. I understand that these things are classified as minor seizures. If you do a search on Paroxetine (paxil) you will find that caution is needed in patients with a history of seizures.

Just to warn you, after 20 mgs of Paxil did not end my panic attacks rather than increase the Paxil he prescribed me Klonopin. I can say with certainty that this is NOT a long term solution because it is very addicting. My first doctor never told me this and the combination completely changed my personality; I became hostile kinda a I can do anything feeling, very stuck up...not surprising my friends kept asking me why I had changed and I had no idea why.
When I finally got a second opinion the doctor weaned me off the klonopin and upped my paxil. That helped immensely. How the paxil worked when I first took it at 20 mgs without the klonopin came back but at 40 it also helped me get rid of my panic attacks. I haven't had one in years.
paxil is STRONG, I have a fairly high tolerance for drugs and when I would reccommend it to friends I think ALL of them just couldn't take the first month where everything kinda sucks. Now I'm back to who I want to be; I wish I could go down to 20 because at 40 mgs I gained some weight and started having side effects (constipation, sweating, etc) However, that's better than fainting from a panic attack.
It's different for everyone just PLEASE watch the Klonopin! Try to keep it as an emergency drug and don't take it every day.

#18 russiangirl

russiangirl

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:39 PM

I've been on 80mg.. if not sleepiness and weight gain, it made me pretty outgoing and happy person!
forgot to mention (I learned that later) that I had fainted/panic attack at the time of getting off the paxil. you have to be really carefull about it!! I didn't know that what was causing it at that time. (never happend before or again)

Edited by russiangirl, 23 July 2010 - 12:43 PM.

#19 April_Showers

April_Showers

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

I have been taking Paxil for nearly 12 years. I began with 20mg and moved up to 60mg within the first couple months. Over the years I was weaned down to 20mg which kept me stable until this summer when I had to be hospitalized twice because my depression got so severe. I was moved up to 70mg of Paxil while in hospital. I reacted very badly to the increase (I got severe shakes, horrible anxiety, and more depressed). The dosage was lowered to 30mg, but I still reacted poorly, so the dosage was lowered again back to 20mg which I could tolerate. Because my episodes were so severe this past summer, 20mg of Paxil was no longer enough to keep me stable. I obviously couldn't tolerate more that 20mg, so my doc began introducing other meds in addition to the Paxil.

While in hospital, the resident pharmacist referred to Paxil as "less gentle" than other anti-depressants in the same class.

Hiya, could I please ask what other meds you were put on .... and how you're doing now? Your situation sounds allot like what my son is going through now.

#20 gentle sun

gentle sun

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:54 AM

Just went up to 50 mg. I think it has helped the depression, but Ive been having headaches and some nausea. I was wondering if after 15 years, could it be "pooping out" and Im having withdrawal symptoms?

goldenvelope1jr.gifbronzestar.jpg
"What do I need to do right now to take good care of myself?" :flowers:

#21 Virbule

Virbule

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:58 PM

I started Paxil in 2000. I was on 20mgs until recently, when my family doc augmented my dose to 30mgs.

I need to go see my shrink soon. I have gained over 60 lbs on Paxil and I used to be thin and good looking. Now, I feel like I'm a big fat cow. I hate the way I look. Hopefully, my shrink will be able to find a solution.

#22 valaki

valaki

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

Currently on 20mgs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users