Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

zoloft and sleepy

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 enthusiast

enthusiast

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:49 PM

I am currently taking Zoloft, works well for my depression, but leaves me tired and sleepy. I also notice it is harder for me to wake up in the morning. Does anyone have any suggestions? :hearts:

Edited by enthusiast, 06 December 2006 - 07:49 PM.

Keep on keeping on!!!

#2 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:20 PM

This may not help very much, but try taking B-12 tablets. Also, mention this to your doc, as he/she may have a better solution.

Sorry I wasn't much help.

Keep us posted on this.

-Bean
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#3 dreaming

dreaming

• PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:32 PM

I have noticed that my zoloft also leaves me really sleepy during the day. Its hard to get up right away in the morning as well. But you do need to talk to your doctor about this because they can put you on something else or change you dose/usage of it.

Good luck to you!
If you want things to change for the better, we have to be the miracle

Im living a life that I dont want to live

#4 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:50 PM

Dreaming:

Have you spoken with your doc about Zoloft making you tired during the day? Did he add a new med? Take you off the Zoloft? Make any changes? Just curious.

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#5 enthusiast

enthusiast

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:01 PM

I have an appointment with the doctor in about a week. I will mention this to him and see what he suggests. The medicine definitely helps with my depression. These medicines do help, it just seems like when you get to a dosage that helps, the side effects become bothersome. I am worried about sleeping thru my alarm clock in the mornings, and I don't want to have to drink a urn of coffee a day to stay awake. It is possible that I have sleep apnea. I am functioning well enough, so I can wait another week before I see my doctor.
Keep on keeping on!!!

#6 dreaming

dreaming

• PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:11 PM

Beanchopp

Yes I have talked to my doctor about it. He put me on a different med to help out with being so tired during the day. I am being monitored on it though and will find out on Monday what will happen. They are thinking of putting me on another med though.

Enthusiast-
Are you sure you want to wait another week to see your doctor? Do you take your zoloft in the morning, or at night, or both? Sometimes taking it in the morning will leave you drowsy throughout the day because it is used as a sleeping pill too. They may change it so you take it at night instead. Good Luck!!

#7 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:13 PM

dreaming:

Please keep us posted. We're all concerned.

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#8 enthusiast

enthusiast

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:12 AM

I take my zoloft in the morning. Perhaps I need to switch to a different medication or add another medicine to counter act the tired, sleepy feeling. Dreaming, thanks for the reply. If you don't mine me asking, what did the doctor add to your zoloft? What other med are they considering putting you on? Sorry for all the questions.
Keep on keeping on!!!

#9 broegyn

broegyn

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:48 AM

I am currently taking Zoloft, works well for my depression, but leaves me tired and sleepy. I also notice it is harder for me to wake up in the morning. Does anyone have any suggestions? :hearts:

try taking your meds at night. ask your doctor. that's what my doctor told me.

#10 dreaming

dreaming

• PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 02:36 PM

The doctor decided to not change my meds just yet. He wants me to go back into the hospital so they can monitor me on different meds to see which one will work.

I think maybe you should change your zoloft to taking it at night. Zoloft is supposed to help you with sleeping at night as well. Then you wont have to feel drowsy during the day.

#11 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:51 PM

The doctor decided to not change my meds just yet. He wants me to go back into the hospital so they can monitor me on different meds to see which one will work.

Dreaming:

I'm sorry to hear that. How long will you be in the hospital? Hopefully they can figure out which meds will be right for you.

Please let us know how you're doing.

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#12 ikt

ikt

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:05 PM

i myself did not fair well on Zoloft. I was on it for a week, 50mg, and it wasted me. I slept all day and could barely function. My doc switched me to Prozac, and within 2 days i felt great. I am being treated for aggrivated depression/anxiety, and i think zoloft was too strong for me.

In fact, just a few days ago, they upped my Prozac dosage, and today it almost feels like Zoloft, like too much seratonin.

#13 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:33 PM

i myself did not fair well on Zoloft. I was on it for a week, 50mg, and it wasted me. I slept all day and could barely function. My doc switched me to Prozac, and within 2 days i felt great. I am being treated for aggrivated depression/anxiety, and i think zoloft was too strong for me.

In fact, just a few days ago, they upped my Prozac dosage, and today it almost feels like Zoloft, like too much seratonin.

Have you called your doc?
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#14 dreaming

dreaming

• PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:02 PM

Still, no sleep. It is driving me nuts. thats all I want. Is to sleep.

#15 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:04 PM

((((((dreaming))))))

You need to call your doc.

I hope you can get some rest soon. :hearts:

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#16 Ajumbledmess

Ajumbledmess

• Platinum Member
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:29 PM

ive been on it for 8 months and i take it in the am. i feel like i need a nap about 2pm everyday.

Posted ImageAjumbledmessPosted Image

"Sometimes we need to hurt in order to grow we must fail in order to know we must lose in order to gain some lessons are learned best through pain."

#17 dreaming

dreaming

• PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:00 AM

i have been noticing the same thing. Except when I feel like a nap its around 4PM..I was told not to take those naps until I got my sleeping situation figured out. Still not working but I have noticed that I am becoming even more tired than I was when I first started takin this.

#18 Ajumbledmess

Ajumbledmess

• Platinum Member
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:27 AM

i have the saame issues. i still go to bed around 10 or 11 even if i do take a nap

"Sometimes we need to hurt in order to grow we must fail in order to know we must lose in order to gain some lessons are learned best through pain."

#19 will

will

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:40 AM

I've been on 5omg pf zoloft for 5 days now, and I noticed the last two days of having that wasted feeling somone else mentioned , then I have to lay down for a couple hours until it passes, I don't fall asleep cause I also feel wired, like the drowsy effect of to much cofffee, I may ask my doc if I can go to 25mg since 50mg seems like a overload to my brain. Although it maybe should be the least of my concerns I'm already noticing sexual side effects, ughh I just wish I could find the right meds again....

Will (also posted :how long until zoloft helps with depression)

#20 Ajumbledmess

Ajumbledmess

• Platinum Member
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:48 AM

ummm...call ur doc and talk to him about how ur feeling. but i remember a wired weird feeling also. the se's of any meds usually suck but dont last too long. but plz check with ur doc . they will know way more than i do

#21 syyoon1004

syyoon1004

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 06:33 PM

zoloft knocks me out pretty quickly. and i'm on my third day.

#22 Ajumbledmess

Ajumbledmess

• Platinum Member
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 07:35 PM

i cant say i felt tired when i took it but i do sleep better now

#23 amyjamie

amyjamie

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:14 PM

I'm on Day 4 and I'm really out of it, don't sleep well at night. My doctor told me not to nap during the day so taht I can maybe get my nighttime schedule back on track, but it's sooooo haaaaaaaaard to fight the urge to nap! LOL (I work from home fulltime, and I sit in bed with my laptop....it would be way too easy to konk...LOL)

#24 jella

jella

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:37 PM

hi im new to these forums having only just got connected. im on a 100mg per day which has a slight positive effect so far on my OCD and general anxiety. have been taking sertraline for 6 months now and am hoping for an increased dosage to 150-200mg to help more with the depression side of things. i have real hopes for this ssri as i get no real side effects and the changes seem subtle, but now after reading all of the above the sleepyness sounds like an increase dose may be too much, does anyone not get drowsy on this med. i never knew this was a sleeping pill !!! :hearts:

Edited by jella, 28 March 2007 - 02:15 AM.

#25 SadSunDevil

SadSunDevil

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:33 PM

Today was the first day trying my 100mg dose in the morning. I have been on it for 3 or 4 weeks and Im seeing a slight improvement in my mood (more of a numb feeling than anything else). I was VERY drowsy about 2 hours after taking it, and im definatly a little more tired than usual at 1:30 pm. I've been taking it in the evenings as I noticed that it helped me to fall asleep faster (but the sleep was horrible- tossing and turning all night). Ill try this method for a few days to figure out which I prefer better.

*Yawn*... I have work in two hours! I need to wake up somehow

#26 dondi2538

dondi2538

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:19 AM

I just started taking Zoloft (100mg) for 3 days and have just began to notice the "sleepy but not able to sleep" effect. I have been taking it at night with the hopes that it might help me sleep. So far it has given me a stomachache, even after taking it on a full stomach, and left me restless at night. This morning, I still feel sleepy but it beats the side effects I was getting from the Lexapro. The doctor also prescribed vistaril to help me sleep at night and to relieve the feelings of anxiety.

#27 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:08 PM

I take mine in the morning, and the doc has prescribed another med to help me sleep which I take at night. I've noticed that at higher dosages I still have trouble sleeping, though not so bad when taken in the morning. Did your doc suggest taking it in the evenings? Some do, but as with all meds, everybody's different. I've had trouble sleeping my entire life, so the meds just make it worse for me, but your side effects may be different.
I'm not a complete *****. Some parts are missing.
Please don't drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
If life is a joke, then I don't get it.
I'm just mentally ill. It's the rest of the world that's crazy.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#28 dondi2538

dondi2538

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:22 AM

I take mine in the morning, and the doc has prescribed another med to help me sleep which I take at night. I've noticed that at higher dosages I still have trouble sleeping, though not so bad when taken in the morning. Did your doc suggest taking it in the evenings? Some do, but as with all meds, everybody's different. I've had trouble sleeping my entire life, so the meds just make it worse for me, but your side effects may be different.

I have been taking it in the evening but am still restless until the daytime. that's when I get sleepy. My husband has been taking Zoloft longer and he has not figured out a good time to take it so he won't be sleepy during the working hours. He started taking it in the morning but it left him drowsy. Then he started taking it at lunch, same thing. Yesterday he took it 4 hours before bedtime and he still had trouble sleeping. Like me, during the day he is sluggish. He said the sleepiness hits him at various times during the day. The doctor gave him some samples of Roserem but because he is a truck driver he can't take it during the week. I think I might try taking it during the day and see what happens.

#29 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:23 PM

I get that feeling too - but it seems that I'm less sluggish when I take smaller doses throughout the day, which is something I asked my doc about and she wrote me a prescription specifying the 25mg tablets so I could split my dosage up easier and take it twice a day. For me, I take 50mg in the morning, and depending on the season or situational stressors, I take 25-50mg in the afternoon, and then take elavill at night. If I take the full dose at once, I am overcome with drowsiness too, but if I split it up, the drowsiness isn't nearly as bad. Like you, though, I have trouble sleeping, so the doc gave me elavil to take at night which helps the depression and also helps me sleep.

Also, and this may just be in my head, but I seem to be much less drowsy if I take a multivitamin every morning. I think I'll start a thread on this soon, to see if anyone else has had similar experiences, because I've never really read or heard anything about this.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#30 dondi2538

dondi2538

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:17 PM

I get that feeling too - but it seems that I'm less sluggish when I take smaller doses throughout the day, which is something I asked my doc about and she wrote me a prescription specifying the 25mg tablets so I could split my dosage up easier and take it twice a day. For me, I take 50mg in the morning, and depending on the season or situational stressors, I take 25-50mg in the afternoon, and then take elavill at night. If I take the full dose at once, I am overcome with drowsiness too, but if I split it up, the drowsiness isn't nearly as bad. Like you, though, I have trouble sleeping, so the doc gave me elavil to take at night which helps the depression and also helps me sleep.

Also, and this may just be in my head, but I seem to be much less drowsy if I take a multivitamin every morning. I think I'll start a thread on this soon, to see if anyone else has had similar experiences, because I've never really read or heard anything about this.

Someone mentioned something about taking b-12 pills. i thought about that because today I wanted so badly to take a nap but i still did not feel quite sleepy enough to do it. It's always an in-between thing. Tonight I'm going to take a vistaril and hope that by the morning I'm wide awake for once. As for my husband, I gave him some warm milk this evening and I think he's asleep now. If I liked milk I would try that remedy.

#31 Boo Forever

Boo Forever

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 06:18 PM

I have been taking Zoloft for 7 weeks now! Started with 50 mg and just upped my dosage to 100mg 4 days ago!
When i first started taking 50 mg i was sleepy for 7 days straight, i would get home from work about 4pm and sleep straight till about 9...sometimes 11pm and wake up for a drink then id fall alseep and sleep right through to 5:40 am whihc is the time i get up for work! Ofcourse The side effect wore off! Now being the 5th day on 100mg, the same side effect of seepyness is occuring

I slept in yesterday being Sunday till 11:30 pm so i had about 12 hours sleep and then i slept again at 4:30 pm till about 8:45 pm then went to bed at midnight and had no trouble falling asleep but i can already feel that i am not as tired as i was yesterday morning....

Just to let everyone know that im pretty sure the sleepy feeling wears off within 1-4 weeks from what i have heard from other friends being on the same meds!

Good luck!

#32 Mark454

Mark454

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:54 AM

I'm just finishing week six on Zoloft. For awhile, probably around week three, I became so tired that I hardly did anything at home except lay in bed and go in and out of sleep. Even when I was awake, I didn't want to get out of bed. Now I can't sleep more than two or three hours at a time. So I take naps and it's working out well. I'm only on 75mg right now so perhaps I will be more sluggish if my dosage is increased.

Edited by Mark454, 10 August 2007 - 11:55 AM.

#33 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:00 PM

Hi Mark,

For me, the side effects make a return if I up my dose, but they go away again after a few days. Also, have you talked to your doc about not sleeping? I was prescribed a second AD (instead of a sleep aid) to go along with my zoloft that made me drowsy so I could sleep better.

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#34 Mark454

Mark454

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:17 PM

My dosage was raised to 100mg a couple of weeks ago and I really can't feel even tell that I'm taking it anymore. The only side effect I have is the sex thing, which I really hope eventually goes away. Earlier I said that I was having trouble sleeping and I told my doctor this. Turns out it wasn't the Zoloft. At the same time I started Zoloft, I started Chantix (great stuff) to quit smoking. The doctor told me not to take the Chantix so close to bed time and now I'm sleeping longer.

#35 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:10 AM

Mark:

Good to hear that you're sleeping better and do not need a sleep aid. Good luck with quitting smoking (wish I could quit).

The sexual SEs that you're experiencing from the Zoloft should decrease over time. In all honesty, your libido may never return to what it once was, but thing in that department should improve over time.

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#36 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for letting us know, Mark!

My libido did return, but it's never been the same as it was either. It's been sort of a blessing for me, being single, though......

And I'm glad you don't need a sleep aid, either. It gets frustrating sometimes having to juggle pills around. I hope you've found your answer, it sounds like you have!

Thanks for sharing, it's always great to hear success stories!

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#37 Xetr

Xetr

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:37 AM

I have been taking Zoloft for 7 weeks now! Started with 50 mg and just upped my dosage to 100mg 4 days ago!
When i first started taking 50 mg i was sleepy for 7 days straight, i would get home from work about 4pm and sleep straight till about 9...sometimes 11pm and wake up for a drink then id fall alseep and sleep right through to 5:40 am whihc is the time i get up for work! Ofcourse The side effect wore off! Now being the 5th day on 100mg, the same side effect of seepyness is occuring

I slept in yesterday being Sunday till 11:30 pm so i had about 12 hours sleep and then i slept again at 4:30 pm till about 8:45 pm then went to bed at midnight and had no trouble falling asleep but i can already feel that i am not as tired as i was yesterday morning....

Just to let everyone know that im pretty sure the sleepy feeling wears off within 1-4 weeks from what i have heard from other friends being on the same meds!

Good luck!

I too am on a 100mg dosage of Zoloft which I've been taking for about 3 months now, and I'm still experiencing the feelings of tiredness/sleepiness that you describe, unfortunately even though I do feel sleepy I can't seem to actually sleep when I want to - my mind is too "active" on Zoloft and I can't lay still, I end up walking around the house or reading/watching something until my brain says "alright that's enough, I really need to turn off now".

I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow, I think I'll take the advice posted in this thread and ask him for his opinion on it.

#38 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:57 PM

If you're like me, xetr, then the insomnia was bad enough I HAD to talk to my doc about it. Zoloft has helped me greatly in dealing with my depression, and I didn't want to give that up - fortunately she gave me another AD med, one of the older tricyclics which tends to make people drowsy, to take at night which helped me sleep and also helped my anxiety/depression.

I was having the same experiences as you, I was dreadfully tired, but couldn't sleep, and when I did, I couldn't stay asleep. Fortunately, my doc picked a med that helped - and I hope you and your doc can find a solution for the sleeplessness, too.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#39 caelyn

caelyn

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 09:31 PM

Im just wondering, will zoloft make me more sleepy as I increase the dose? My psychiatrist told me to start with 25mg for a week, then 50 for a week, and then go to 100mg. She did it this way to make it less harsh on my stomach (which btw didnt work). So I am just wondering does sleepiness & everything else get worse as you increase the dose?

#40 christalonely

christalonely

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 12:40 PM

I was sleepy for the first week and a half but now a month in to the med, I can hardly sleep :hearts:

- Christa Lynn

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always gotten.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users