Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Remeron Dosage For Sleep Aid Vs For Depression

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Trudy

Trudy

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:37 AM

Does anyone know what the dosage of Remeron is as a sleep aid and what is as an AD?

#2 justforfun_10

justforfun_10

• PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

I am on 45 mg which I think is the max.  I started at 30 which worked well for me as a sleep aid.

#3 blackcompe

blackcompe

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:02 PM

Remeron is only used off-label as a sleep aid, so there's no official dose, however, most information seems to suggest a low dose is used. I suppose starting at 15 mg would be common. At some point (~30mg), the noradrenaline effects (awakeness) override the histamine effects (sleepiness), and the sleep effect is lost.

"The dose of mirtazapine also is a factor in its ability to improve sleep—daily doses of ≤30 mg tend to produce better sleep outcomes for patients.22 At higher doses, the antihistamine activity of mirtazapine appears to be partially offset by increased noradrenergic transmission.23-25"

- The effects of Mirtazapine on sleep in patients with major depressive disorder

Edited by blackcompe, 09 August 2013 - 11:03 PM.

This information is of a general nature and is not intended to be used as medical advice. I am not a practicing physician. Please use this information at your own risk.

#4 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:24 PM

If you want to use it strictly as a sleep aid, 7.5mg would best. There is no AD action at that dose. It's all sedation.
  • Human Being likes this

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!

Brian

#5 Dolphin2013

Dolphin2013

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

Hi,

I just started taking it last week, starting at 15mg (in addition to Wellbutrin (starting at 150mg XL)). The 15mg of Remeron knocked me out so completely, it was unnerving. I had a hard time feeling awake the next day. I decided (and I probably should have asked my doc first) to cut the pills in half and that's what I'm doing. The 15 mg scared me so, I couldn't imagine what kind benefit it could have other than letting me sleep for 10 hours at a time, with no headache.

Do you get used to Remeron?

Thanks,

Dolphin2013

My meds:  Wellbutrin XL (generic) 300 mg./day in the AM, Remeron (generic) 15 mg./day PM, Xanax .25 mg. as needed

"Well darkness has a hunger that's insatiable
And lightness has a call that's hard to hear
I wrap my fear around me like a blanket
I sailed my ship of safety till I sank it, I'm crawling on your shore.
" Indigo Girls, "Closer To Fine."

#6 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:08 PM

Yes, it should get much better with continued use although some sedation may not entirely go away and getting out of bed may continue to be hard. I usually found that it was hard to get out of bed alot but once I was up I was alright.

Remeron is also know for being more activating the higher you go in the dosages. I'd give it at least a couple weeks and see how you handle the sedation. It's AD effects may not kick in fully by then( although it has a rep for being one of the quicker ones to kick in) but you should have a good idea in that amount of time of how the sedation is going effect you. If you are taking Wellbutrin too it might not be that bad as Wellbutrin is usually pretty activating.

Edited by maintainin, 19 August 2013 - 11:10 PM.

• Dolphin2013 likes this

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!

Brian

#7 Rahul

Rahul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:00 PM

If you want to use it strictly as a sleep aid, 7.5mg would best. There is no AD action at that dose. It's all sedation.

Yes, it should get much better with continued use although some sedation may not entirely go away and getting out of bed may continue to be hard. I usually found that it was hard to get out of bed alot but once I was up I was alright.

Remeron is also know for being more activating the higher you go in the dosages. I'd give it at least a couple weeks and see how you handle the sedation. It's AD effects may not kick in fully by then( although it has a rep for being one of the quicker ones to kick in) but you should have a good idea in that amount of time of how the sedation is going effect you. If you are taking Wellbutrin too it might not be that bad as Wellbutrin is usually pretty activating.

100% agree with both posts. 

• Dolphin2013 likes this
I'm not a doctor or a health professional and any advice in my post is purely my personal opinion and anecdotal.

Dx: MDD
Rx: 10 mg escitalopram + 15mg mitrazapine + 20 mg chlordiazepoxide (all
at bedtime)

#8 Dolphin2013

Dolphin2013

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:28 PM

hmmm. Thank you maintainin and Rahul for your answers.

I've upped my dosage of Wellbutrin to 300 mg XL (pdoc said to do this after 2 weeks) and maybe the Remeron would be better at the higher dose.

I am really surprised at how well I'm sleeping and how even if I have to get up in the middle of the night for something, I seem to be able to go right back to sleep again.

The pdoc did point out that lack of sleep makes one more anxious and unhappy/unable to cope with stress.

I'm keeping track of my side effects and will report to my pdoc at next appointment.

My meds:  Wellbutrin XL (generic) 300 mg./day in the AM, Remeron (generic) 15 mg./day PM, Xanax .25 mg. as needed

#9 Rahul

Rahul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:50 AM

hmmm. Thank you maintainin and Rahul for your answers.

I've upped my dosage of Wellbutrin to 300 mg XL (pdoc said to do this after 2 weeks) and maybe the Remeron would be better at the higher dose.

I am really surprised at how well I'm sleeping and how even if I have to get up in the middle of the night for something, I seem to be able to go right back to sleep again.

The pdoc did point out that lack of sleep makes one more anxious and unhappy/unable to cope with stress.

I'm keeping track of my side effects and will report to my pdoc at next appointment.

glad to hear you are making progress. side effects of remeron -- increased sleep and hunger -- will wane with time. you won't be sleep deprived though and, yes, studies show that sleep deprivation can lead to depression. 

• Dolphin2013 likes this
I'm not a doctor or a health professional and any advice in my post is purely my personal opinion and anecdotal.

Dx: MDD
Rx: 10 mg escitalopram + 15mg mitrazapine + 20 mg chlordiazepoxide (all
at bedtime)

#10 Dolphin2013

Dolphin2013

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

I decided 2 days ago to take the full 15 mg. First night: slept like a log but woke up with a headache, I think from my neck being in a weird position. did not really feel groggy, but a little queasy and had diarrhea for about an hour. Which was okay, really, since I'd been constipated for about 3 days. It took most of the day for my headache to go away.  I took generic Excedrin (caffeine + acetominophen + aspirin) throughout the day. By 6pm the headache was gone.

Today, I woke up after 8 hours solid sleep, feeling a little sleepy, no headache. I'm happy because I don't have to work today and I almost feel playful. 

edited to take out a bunch of stuff that should be reserved for something else. thanks.

Edited by Dolphin2013, 06 September 2013 - 09:27 AM.

#11 YuGo_BoY

YuGo_BoY

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

Low dose works best as sleep aid, I only took 7.5mg, it worked great, plus I slept like a baby.

• Human Being likes this

#12 Human Being

Human Being

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:45 AM

I am taking 7.5mg just for sleeping ... and sleep a lot ... more then 12 hours ...but on the following night tend to reduce the sleeping time ...which i think is normal ... saturation effect ...

#13 smithci

smithci

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

I'm on 30 but now having very broken sleep.

Takes me a while to get to sleep

I wonder if it's still part of my depression 

Hmmmm

#14 Inbetween

Inbetween

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

You should get tired within the hour, maybe around 45 minutes for me. I get really groggy.

I am taking 45mg and it still is having the effect on me.

It might be part of your depression or other meds. Are you taking anything else that could stimulate you? I had to change Zoloft to AM dosage as it is very stimulating for me (feels like I drank coffee) and was having problems staying asleep.

"I am not licensed to give advice; anything I say is only an opinion."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Major Depression Disorder w/anxiety

Current: Zoloft 150mg, trazodone 50mg, lorazepam ,5mg prn.

Past: Paxil, Celexa, mirtazapine

#15 smithci

smithci

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:41 PM

You should get tired within the hour, maybe around 45 minutes for me. I get really groggy.

I am taking 45mg and it still is having the effect on me.

It might be part of your depression or other meds. Are you taking anything else that could stimulate you? I had to change Zoloft to AM dosage as it is very stimulating for me (feels like I drank coffee) and was having problems staying asleep.

No not taking anything else . See how I get on tonight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users