• Announcements

• Lindsay

Depression Forums Are Back Online!   02/09/2016

Hello Members! Please understand that this upgrade was huge and is a process that will be ongoing for a tad longer. Somethings may not seem 'right' or look a bit 'strange' at the moment, such as your profile page or "Quotes" etc.. Some things may not work as expected... for the time being, but please appreciate that we have to prioritize function over appearance. Eventually DF will all come together and be wonderful! It will be as if nothing had ever changed... As an afterthought...DF will be ACCESSIBLE ANYTIME/ANYWHERE
      Whether you’re on your smartphone, tablet or computer, access to Depressionforums.org/forums is right at your fingertips with our new upgrade. The
      refreshing, dynamic look translates across all platforms and devices.
      Come join up, become a member if not already! It’s free to post to your peers about anything that is troubling you.  We are certain there is a Forum for that. Tomorrow we will have a Forum set up for members to answer any questions that you may have about the upgrade. We really appreciate all of your feedback! Your Forum Administrators
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flippingout

does your handwriting change depending on your mood?

52 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

my handwriting is all over the place. sometimes its cursive, sometimes print, mostly a combination between the two. when i'm depressed i noticed that my handwriting is kinda slanted cursive but very messy and i write all over the place not adhering to the lines on the paper. when i'm manic my writing is bubbly and printed.

Posted · Report post  

Yes, I've noticed my handwriting changes with my moods! I haven't identified what the changes are but it's all over the place!!!

Posted · Report post  

my handwriting is all over the place. sometimes its cursive, sometimes print, mostly a combination between the two. when i'm depressed i noticed that my handwriting is kinda slanted cursive but very messy and i write all over the place not adhering to the lines on the paper. when i'm manic my writing is bubbly and printed.

A BIG YESSSSSSSSS

my messy writing turns into loops when I go Loopy..My neatest writing is when I have a major attack. very weird I think. Often thought of writing a book and then thought -who could read my writiing?? HAha thanks for the laughs.. I Need all of them :hearts:

Posted · Report post  

My handwriting is always different too. That's why I think that these "handwriting experts" are all bulls***. Like, when I watch court cases on television sometimes, and I see people's signature on paper, and they're like "that doesn't look like your/his/her signature" and blah blah blah..."bring out the handwriting expert".

It's so stupid because not everyone always writes exactly the freaking same!

OK enough of my rant.

Posted · Report post  

My handwriting is always different too. That's why I think that these "handwriting experts" are all bulls***. Like, when I watch court cases on television sometimes, and I see people's signature on paper, and they're like "that doesn't look like your/his/her signature" and blah blah blah..."bring out the handwriting expert".

It's so stupid because not everyone always writes exactly the freaking same!

OK enough of my rant.

I agree, I'd like to have someone try to decipher my handwriting. I doubt they could find similarites.

Though it is funny when you look at other people's handwriting, I dont understand how some people can write neat all the time. It just blows my mind.

Posted · Report post  

Mine is different too based on my state of mind...

Posted · Report post  

when im really agitated, i will write in dark, angular messy huge writing.. like serial killer writing ;)

my writing is never neat tho. =P

Posted · Report post  

mine is different all the time, it goes with my mood... it changes a lot... not one paper could be identified by the other... you'd think... 20 people have been writing in one notebook....

~adorabelle

:hearts:

Posted · Report post  

Mine changes with moods also....when I'm happy I have nice hand writting and when I'm anxious or depressed its messy and I just don't care if people can read it.

Posted · Report post  

yep....when i'm hypomanic i write so fast that it is much less readable and pretty big/all over the page.

Posted · Report post  

Definetly changes.

Since age 9, I've had issues with pushing too hard on the paper (I have wrist problems now because of it), so my moods HIGHLY affect how hard I push, and thus the look of the lines. I write in a mostly-print, but some letters flexing together, overall messy but readable style. Also, to reduce the strain I use fountain pens and softer pencils; each one/sharpening changes my writing DRAMATICALLY.

I think handwriting experts are dubious as well, but apparently certain criteria make certain things impossible and/or unlikely to the extreme, enough to constitute a "not the same guy" response; I'd love to see them try it on us. HAH! (I laugh in retrospect at a History Channel thing on this subject; modern handwriting "experts" even go so far as micro-graphing the lines for analysis)

Posted · Report post  

My handwriting is definitely affected by my mood. I had a terrible time signing Christmas Cards the other night... couldn't find the right words...couldn't write very good at all. Felt almost embarrassed to send a few of them. My GF just shook her head and sent them away.

Posted · Report post  

Iv'e tried it out since you mentioned it and your correct. If I have a Anxeity Attacks my writing is very sloppy all over the place. If I am Depressed my cursve is fairly good although if I have my manic side my writing is cursve and printing all in the same sentance. This is very interesting! I'm glad that you brought it up.

Posted · Report post  

Well, my handwriting is illegible all the time so I guess the difference would have to be in the degree of sloppiness. Lithium sure doesn't help by giving me a hand tremor.'

Katie :hearts:

Posted (edited) · Report post  

Yep, definitely. And like Ocracoker16 said, Prozac and Lithium don't help at all. Anyways, it was impossible to read, even before meds.

Edited by Doushi

Posted (edited) · Report post  

I know this an older post...but *gasp*....I have the same thing.

If I showed you one of my journals :hearts: you'd swear that more than 1 person was writing in them. Depending on my mood, the handwriting can be distinctly different.

I'm not talking about sloppy vs. not sloppy, but totally different styles...bubbly, all caps, al la messy, super neat cursive, etc.

Edited by JennaJJ

Posted · Report post  

Mine reflects my mood directly. When agitated or manic i use half print and half cursive script that looks more like an ekg reading than handwriting. If in a good mood my handwriting is fluidic script, almost old english style. Angry and its pretty much all print and in triplicate on the papers beneath what i have written. I have literally written holes in paper when angry.

Its interesting though, my wife is a psychology student at the university here and they did a short study on this very thing. I will have to ask her what they found out.

Posted · Report post  

ya if im on edge i write in more of a scribble

Posted · Report post  

my wife is a psychology student at the university here and they did a short study on this very thing. I will have to ask her what they found out.

Caddon, please do! I would be very interested to know what she gleaned from her study!

Posted · Report post  

Its interesting though, my wife is a psychology student at the university here and they did a short study on this very thing. I will have to ask her what they found out.

I second what Jenna said.. I would be really interested in hearing more. :)

Posted · Report post  

if you have a notebook from school, work or even a journal... check the handwriting out, you may be able to check for yourself if your handwriting changes depending on mood. In a journal, check a writing about a bad day and check to handwriting on a good day. I even noticed this in myself as well.

Posted · Report post  

According to their study, they took 50 people, 2 groups of 25, and exposed them to different situations, and had them take notes during thier participation. During periods of duress over 80% of the handwriting had visibly noticeable changes, +/- 1.5%. Both study groups were subjected to different shock as well as planned duress scenarios ie: one group had someone pass through the hall and toss in a flash grenade into the room, like a very large bright firecracker. The results were imediate and substantial in change. The others would participate in an impossibly timed test, in essay form, to visually monitor changes as the time progressed on the test subjects. It showed that as the end of the alloted time arrived, handwriting became noticeably changed in 100% of subjects tested in this method. This is just a basic overview, i will ask her to get their end study report if she still can or has it. She keeps alot of crap so i will ask her.

It does explain that under duress handwriting, and probably coordination as a whole suffers. Hmmm.

Posted · Report post  

I know when i am agitated my wrist starts to hurt after a line or two. It's like I am trying to poke holes in the paper while writing.

It's very very sloppy. When in a good mood (ha ha ha) my writing seems fluid and neat.

Posted · Report post  

Mine does change too according to mood, but not by as much as some have described on this thread. I usually write bigger when I'm feeling happy :hearts:. Smallish and ugly when the opposite is true.