Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

does your handwriting change depending on your mood?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 flippingout

flippingout

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 07:08 PM

my handwriting is all over the place. sometimes its cursive, sometimes print, mostly a combination between the two. when i'm depressed i noticed that my handwriting is kinda slanted cursive but very messy and i write all over the place not adhering to the lines on the paper. when i'm manic my writing is bubbly and printed.
Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.
-Family Guy

#2 Merlin

Merlin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 07:31 PM

Yes, I've noticed my handwriting changes with my moods! I haven't identified what the changes are but it's all over the place!!!
J.P.Richardson

#3 mudcat

mudcat

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 08:09 PM

my handwriting is all over the place. sometimes its cursive, sometimes print, mostly a combination between the two. when i'm depressed i noticed that my handwriting is kinda slanted cursive but very messy and i write all over the place not adhering to the lines on the paper. when i'm manic my writing is bubbly and printed.

A BIG YESSSSSSSSS
my messy writing turns into loops when I go Loopy..My neatest writing is when I have a major attack. very weird I think. Often thought of writing a book and then thought -who could read my writiing?? HAha thanks for the laughs.. I Need all of them :hearts:
For every door that gets slammed in your face...GOD opens a window...

"Just pull down your pants and slide on the ice" (Mash)

#4 Les_Nubian

Les_Nubian

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:22 PM

My handwriting is always different too. That's why I think that these "handwriting experts" are all bulls***. Like, when I watch court cases on television sometimes, and I see people's signature on paper, and they're like "that doesn't look like your/his/her signature" and blah blah blah..."bring out the handwriting expert".

It's so stupid because not everyone always writes exactly the freaking same!

OK enough of my rant.

#5 flippingout

flippingout

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:33 PM

My handwriting is always different too. That's why I think that these "handwriting experts" are all bulls***. Like, when I watch court cases on television sometimes, and I see people's signature on paper, and they're like "that doesn't look like your/his/her signature" and blah blah blah..."bring out the handwriting expert".

It's so stupid because not everyone always writes exactly the freaking same!

OK enough of my rant.

I agree, I'd like to have someone try to decipher my handwriting. I doubt they could find similarites.

Though it is funny when you look at other people's handwriting, I dont understand how some people can write neat all the time. It just blows my mind.
-Family Guy

#6 littleblackduck

littleblackduck

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:14 PM

Mine is different too based on my state of mind...

#7 cinnamona666

cinnamona666

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:40 PM

when im really agitated, i will write in dark, angular messy huge writing.. like serial killer writing ;)

my writing is never neat tho. =P
nothing is forever; nothing stays the same
even if you desire it to

^_^

<3laura

i anti-endorse any advertising below my icon =P

#8 adorabelle

adorabelle

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:07 AM

mine is different all the time, it goes with my mood... it changes a lot... not one paper could be identified by the other... you'd think... 20 people have been writing in one notebook....

~adorabelle
:hearts:

Go over, go under, go around, or go through.
But never give up.

If you get up one more time than you fall, you will make it through. 

❤ ❤ ❤   TENACITY   ❤ ❤ ❤  

goldenvelope1jr.gif

#9 Ozlancerchick23

Ozlancerchick23

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:40 AM

Mine changes with moods also....when I'm happy I have nice hand writting and when I'm anxious or depressed its messy and I just don't care if people can read it.
Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens.

#10 treefingers

treefingers

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:51 PM

yep....when i'm hypomanic i write so fast that it is much less readable and pretty big/all over the page.

#11 RangerSRC

RangerSRC

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:03 PM

Definetly changes.
Since age 9, I've had issues with pushing too hard on the paper (I have wrist problems now because of it), so my moods HIGHLY affect how hard I push, and thus the look of the lines. I write in a mostly-print, but some letters flexing together, overall messy but readable style. Also, to reduce the strain I use fountain pens and softer pencils; each one/sharpening changes my writing DRAMATICALLY.
I think handwriting experts are dubious as well, but apparently certain criteria make certain things impossible and/or unlikely to the extreme, enough to constitute a "not the same guy" response; I'd love to see them try it on us. HAH! (I laugh in retrospect at a History Channel thing on this subject; modern handwriting "experts" even go so far as micro-graphing the lines for analysis)

#12 Matt206

Matt206

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:54 PM

My handwriting is definitely affected by my mood. I had a terrible time signing Christmas Cards the other night... couldn't find the right words...couldn't write very good at all. Felt almost embarrassed to send a few of them. My GF just shook her head and sent them away.

#13 jabberjaws

jabberjaws

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:13 PM

Iv'e tried it out since you mentioned it and your correct. If I have a Anxeity Attacks my writing is very sloppy all over the place. If I am Depressed my cursve is fairly good although if I have my manic side my writing is cursve and printing all in the same sentance. This is very interesting! I'm glad that you brought it up.

#14 Ocracoker16

Ocracoker16

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:39 PM

Well, my handwriting is illegible all the time so I guess the difference would have to be in the degree of sloppiness. Lithium sure doesn't help by giving me a hand tremor.'

Katie :hearts:
Katie

#15 Doushi

Doushi

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:47 PM

Yep, definitely. And like Ocracoker16 said, Prozac and Lithium don't help at all. Anyways, it was impossible to read, even before meds.

Edited by Doushi, 20 December 2006 - 08:48 PM.

Come Back / SOF

#16 JennaJJ

JennaJJ

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:51 PM

I know this an older post...but *gasp*....I have the same thing.

If I showed you one of my journals :hearts: you'd swear that more than 1 person was writing in them. Depending on my mood, the handwriting can be distinctly different.

I'm not talking about sloppy vs. not sloppy, but totally different styles...bubbly, all caps, al la messy, super neat cursive, etc.

Edited by JennaJJ, 22 January 2007 - 04:53 PM.

#17 caddon

caddon

• Just Registered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:20 PM

Mine reflects my mood directly. When agitated or manic i use half print and half cursive script that looks more like an ekg reading than handwriting. If in a good mood my handwriting is fluidic script, almost old english style. Angry and its pretty much all print and in triplicate on the papers beneath what i have written. I have literally written holes in paper when angry.
Its interesting though, my wife is a psychology student at the university here and they did a short study on this very thing. I will have to ask her what they found out.
"In all things do your duty. Nothing more can be expected from you, nor should you accept any less of yourself." Gen.Robert Edward Lee, Commander, Army of Nothern Virginia

Posted Image

#18 Ajumbledmess

Ajumbledmess

• Platinum Member
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 06:06 PM

ya if im on edge i write in more of a scribble

Posted ImageAjumbledmessPosted Image

"Sometimes we need to hurt in order to grow we must fail in order to know we must lose in order to gain some lessons are learned best through pain."

#19 JennaJJ

JennaJJ

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:06 PM

my wife is a psychology student at the university here and they did a short study on this very thing. I will have to ask her what they found out.

Caddon, please do! I would be very interested to know what she gleaned from her study!

#20 flippingout

flippingout

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:54 PM

Its interesting though, my wife is a psychology student at the university here and they did a short study on this very thing. I will have to ask her what they found out.

I second what Jenna said.. I would be really interested in hearing more. :)
-Family Guy

#21 escape

escape

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:25 PM

if you have a notebook from school, work or even a journal... check the handwriting out, you may be able to check for yourself if your handwriting changes depending on mood. In a journal, check a writing about a bad day and check to handwriting on a good day. I even noticed this in myself as well.

#22 caddon

caddon

• Just Registered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 03:56 PM

According to their study, they took 50 people, 2 groups of 25, and exposed them to different situations, and had them take notes during thier participation. During periods of duress over 80% of the handwriting had visibly noticeable changes, +/- 1.5%. Both study groups were subjected to different shock as well as planned duress scenarios ie: one group had someone pass through the hall and toss in a flash grenade into the room, like a very large bright firecracker. The results were imediate and substantial in change. The others would participate in an impossibly timed test, in essay form, to visually monitor changes as the time progressed on the test subjects. It showed that as the end of the alloted time arrived, handwriting became noticeably changed in 100% of subjects tested in this method. This is just a basic overview, i will ask her to get their end study report if she still can or has it. She keeps alot of crap so i will ask her.
It does explain that under duress handwriting, and probably coordination as a whole suffers. Hmmm.
"In all things do your duty. Nothing more can be expected from you, nor should you accept any less of yourself." Gen.Robert Edward Lee, Commander, Army of Nothern Virginia

Posted Image

#23 HelpMePlz

HelpMePlz

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:14 PM

I know when i am agitated my wrist starts to hurt after a line or two. It's like I am trying to poke holes in the paper while writing.
It's very very sloppy. When in a good mood (ha ha ha) my writing seems fluid and neat.

#24 treebee5

treebee5

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 02:47 PM

Yup, it sure does.

#25 lynx

lynx

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:25 AM

Mine does change too according to mood, but not by as much as some have described on this thread. I usually write bigger when I'm feeling happy :hearts:. Smallish and ugly when the opposite is true.

Linkin Park - Papercut

Why does it feel like night today?/Something in here's not right today/Why am I so uptight today?/Paranoia's all I got left/I don't know what stressed me first/Or how the pressure was fed/But I know just what it feels like/To have a voice in the back of my head/It's like a face that I hold inside/A face that awakes when I close my eyes/A face watches every time I lie/A face that laughs every time I fall/(It watches everything)/So I know that when it's time to sink or swim/That the face inside is hearin' me/Right inside my skin/It's like I'm paranoid lookin' over my back/It's like a whirlwind inside of my head/It's like I can't stop what I'm hearing within/It's like the face inside is right beneath my skin...

#26 gentle sun

gentle sun

• Platinum Member
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:29 AM

Most definitely. It gets sloppy and big when I am upset or angry. When I am happy, my handwriting is nice and smooth.

Gentle Sun

goldenvelope1jr.gifbronzestar.jpg
"What do I need to do right now to take good care of myself?" :flowers:

#27 misskitty

misskitty

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 10:45 AM

For many, many years I know when I am depressed or insecure by my handwriting

#28 jabberjaws

jabberjaws

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:05 PM

When I'm manic I seem to write small and very messy and my spelling becomes very poor. However when I'm normal my writing isn't to bad. That is a good question.

Jabberjaws

#29 nbarts

nbarts

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:35 PM

HA...., nice topic, this is so true.

#30 keren_za

keren_za

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:47 PM

All the Time. I have like 10 types of handwriting.
I can sit in a class, and in one hour go from a complete wildness to a handwrite in the size of an ant. :blink:

"The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself."

#31 dendweller

dendweller

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:34 PM

My diagnosis is MDD and not bipolar (although in the back of my mind, I sometimes wonder if I really have Bipolar II), but I hope you all will not mind my commenting / posting on this thread. Sounds like we all have similar experiences. Yes, there is clearly a difference in my handwriting when I am deep in depression versus when I am not. My depression handwriting looks small, weak, and shaky, compared to normal.

#32 IslandLiving

IslandLiving

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:11 AM

Funny, I was wondering this same thing about me a while back.

I have about 5 handwritings. Ranging from awesome to lethargic and barely legible.

#33 Isabeau

Isabeau

• Platinum Member
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:51 AM

Yep, my handwriting sure does change too depending on my mood.

It goes from round and perfect, to pointy and jagged, to big and small letters in words, because I go back wonder what I have exactly written. :hearts:

Isabeau :bump:

IS-A-BOW
AJ

We're our own dragons as well as our own heroes,
and we have to rescue ourselves from ourselves.

#34 quixoticmantis

quixoticmantis

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:27 PM

Most definately! When I'm feeling stable or manic, my handwriting is always 'bubble cursive'.....when I'm depressed, it turns into a mix of scratchy, slanted cursive and print.
There is a voice inside of you
that whispers all day long,
"I feel that this is right for me,
I know that this is wrong."
No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
Or wise man can decide
What's right for you - just listen to
The voice that speaks inside.

~Shel Silverstein

#35 sitting_in_the_dark

sitting_in_the_dark

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:32 PM

wow, ive never thought about that!

actually, mine does that too. today i was really annoyed at school and my writing was all over the place, in mad cursive writing and not staying in the lines... my teacher even told me to rewrite my classwork for monday!

ive started doing it now that i am calmer, and my writing is in print and much neater, also my 'i's are dotted with small circles whereas when i am annoyed i dot them normally....

hmmm.......

that is so strange, i cant believe ive never noticed that before, i just thought i had strange handwriting lol!

#36 xoxoguy30

xoxoguy30

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:00 PM

omg! YES! I had told my psychologist about this and she dismissed it. She believes I'm bipolar II. I just started on an SSRI which I am just finding out is really bad for bipolar treatment. but the psychiatrist i am seeing doesn't think i am bipolar.

anyways, back to writing. it's crazy that so many of you have noticed this. i don't feel alone or crazy now lol

#37 Reborn

Reborn

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:24 PM

My handwriting is pretty stable. During my high periods, it can be very random though. I may write nice, sloppy, or left-handed. (I typically use my right hand)

When I'm depressed or stable, I have terrible handwriting at all times unless I have to make it look nice for something.
I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid! Why must people always equate the two?

#38 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:35 PM

According to leading handwriting experts, most definitely. I recently read a book lent to me on this very subject. Well actually it was about handwriting on a more complex scale but your question was addressed fully. And one's handwriting can change not only dramatically, but differently dependent on mood. So, someone familiar with the intricacies of handwriting would be able successfully assess your mood according to your style at any given moment.

Peace and Love.... wayne

* * * NOTE: Administration/Moderator Team members are not Mental Health or Medical Professionals. * * *

(if you have any questions about your care or treatment, please contact your Doctor or Therapist for advice,
those of us here on DepressionForums are here as your personal peer support system.)

* * * * * If you feel you have an emergency, please click on one of the hotlines below. * * * * *

Posted ImagePosted Image U.S. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image U.K. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image International HotlinesPosted Image

" Angels fly because they take themselves lightly "

#39 Starfish139

Starfish139

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:40 AM

When I'm keyed up or agitated I press down hard and my writing is all over the place,but when I'm depressed,I take my time and my writing is more relaxed.Sometimes,my handwriting can jump back and forth,too.

#40 Guest_Giz_*

Guest_Giz_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:33 PM

Teehee..Im not alone then??
I dunno, I do so little writing these days sometimes it just feels like Ive forgotten how.. Oh one of the sad side effects of modern technology :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users