• Announcements

• Lindsay

Depression Forums Are Back Online!   02/09/2016

Hello Members! Please understand that this upgrade was huge and is a process that will be ongoing for a tad longer. Somethings may not seem 'right' or look a bit 'strange' at the moment, such as your profile page or "Quotes" etc.. Some things may not work as expected... for the time being, but please appreciate that we have to prioritize function over appearance. Eventually DF will all come together and be wonderful! It will be as if nothing had ever changed... As an afterthought...DF will be ACCESSIBLE ANYTIME/ANYWHERE
      Whether you’re on your smartphone, tablet or computer, access to Depressionforums.org/forums is right at your fingertips with our new upgrade. The
      refreshing, dynamic look translates across all platforms and devices.
      Come join up, become a member if not already! It’s free to post to your peers about anything that is troubling you.  We are certain there is a Forum for that. Tomorrow we will have a Forum set up for members to answer any questions that you may have about the upgrade. We really appreciate all of your feedback! Your Forum Administrators
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fat_cole

I'm About Ready To Just Give Up...

5 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

I am having a really hard time with my depression. I get better, then continue to relapse into major depressive symptoms again. It feels like I finally get back on my feet just to have the rug pulled out from under me time and time again. At this rate, I cannot expect to do much of anything with my life but suffer. I really wish I knew what to do. The situation feels incredibly hopeless. My wife doesn't understand how difficult doing an engineering program is to begin with, then add my bulls*** depression to the mix, then add my wife asking me random ass questions that do not require my immediate attention, then add 4 children constantly interrupting me. I have nowhere else to go to study, as some of these classes are online. My wife finally took the kids to go see a movie so I can study, but we can't afford to keep doing that. Now that they're at the movie, I'm feeling too low on energy and concentration to continue studying. I've been at this for 8 hours today and have accomplished next to nothing.

The only thing keeping us afloat financially are my military education benefits. I have to keep a full time student status just to pay the bills, I don't have the energy or capacity to go full time, there are no jobs to be had in this armpit of the US economy town... Even when times are good economically , there are still no jobs around here. I can't afford to move, I can't afford to stay, SSA denied my disability claim, if I appeal I have no idea how long it would take or if I would even get approved if I did. Feeling useless is the worst part of this entire thing. I can't concentrate long enough to come up with a decent plan and my wife has become completely flaky and dependent upon her parents for everything. I can't depend on her to come up with a good plan for us, her lack of planning ability only drags us down further when I'm incapacitated. I'm up creek without a paddle...

Anyone else dealing with a situation like this?

Posted · Report post  

Hey!

Ya know what? I have never been even close to a situation like yours, except for the depression part.

But I wanted to let you know I read this and I'm VERY sorry you are struggling. :verysad3: You're obviously having a rough time and are very frustrated.

That really sucks, and I'm sure others can relate.

It can be good to vent though can't it?

Posted · Report post  

I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time right now. I can absolutely relate to the difficulty with the depression and low energy and lack of concentration and no money - I'm there, and it feels like it will never, ever get better. I have learned that I have to take things, not day-by-day, but more moment-by-moment, in order to survive. Doing that, I'm starting to see that everything isn't always stagnant; in fact, things - including the depression and the finances - are constantly changing. It helps a little, and I am told it will continue to get better.

Are you seeing anybody about your depression right now? I know therapy can be expensive, and I don't know if you have insurance or not, but there are lots of places where you can get therapy on a sliding scale fee, and some where you can get it for free. If you were in the military, there should be additional benefits you can access.

Let us know how things are going.

Posted · Report post  

im so sory to hear that, i dont know how is in other countries about militar or gov help, but maybe u can go back to the army? if you are studying something of engineer then just hang out a little because after finish it probably you will get good money for it (its one of the best payed things, doesnt matter where u are) and i understand you need concentration ( i work in something when noise affects me a lot) why dont u try go to a library or some place where you can stay and study or make your job with no problems? dont give up... you have a family, and your wife might sound like is not helping u at all, but she might be being affected too, try to talk to her directly and tell how bad is your situation, she should supports u a little bit more

Posted · Report post  

Im sorry for your problems. In ALOT of ways I can relate to your situation. And while I'm not great at giving out advise I do hope for the best for you and your family.