Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Mentally Slipping Away

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Skooter27

Skooter27

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

I am sitting here wondering if anyone else has felt the way that I do right now..... I have been off my meds for maybe a little over a month, and mentally I feel like I am slipping away. I am BP1 with rapid cycling, and unfortunately the medications that I take are expensive, and I have not been able to afford them. So, it may be time for a med change. But whatever... let me move on. I find myslef managing pretty good when I am on my meds, but as soon as I go off of them, I feel completely unstable. It has been progressively hard to function, at home and on the job. I hate it when people start to notice that something is wrong.... I just want to be "normal", whatever that means.

Is anyone else able to feel themselves slowly slip into chaos like me.... or am I just on some trip right now?

#2 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,940 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:00 PM

I'm also BP I and there have been times when I foolishly have gone off my meds. It's pure chaos with the mood swings and no sleep for nights on end. Did you know that many pharmaceutical companies have program for free or low cost meds? There are some phone numbers in the Depression and Med News to various companies also the availability of discount RX cards.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#3 Skooter27

Skooter27

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

Thank you, I will be looking into it.... yeah I also have not slept... I'll be ok. Thanks for responding, I appreciate all of the help and knowing that there are others who experience the same things I have, but are making it. It's just all around good to know that you not alone... So thanks.

#4 arrietty54

arrietty54

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

Yes, absolutely look into that! And aside from low-cost med programs, have your doctor work with you to see if there's anything you can take with a generic equivalent. Switching to generics dropped my monthly costs by like $70.

While off your meds, things that will help you stay stable are SLEEP and ROUTINE. Sleep sleep sleep! Lack of sleep is what destroys me when I'm having an episode of either type. Set an alarm at night to make yourself go to bed, set one to wake yourself up 8 hours later, and try as hard as you can to sleep as  much as you can between those hours. Eat regular meals at the same time each day. Plan out your workday to the best of your ability - not that you'll be able to keep to the plan because work is work and things aren't predictable, but it'll help you keep your eye on the goal, which is getting through the day. 

And then get back on your meds ASAP. This is not a condition to mess around with; heart patients or transplant patients don't go off their maintenance meds because it would be a disaster, and the same thing applies to serious mental health conditions.

#5 Darrith

Darrith

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:33 AM

@Scooter, I would try to find a way, at all costs to get back on your medication.  Are there not government hospitals / health care where you live.  Even if you must stand in a long queue, it will be worth it to get back on the medication.  Bi Polar and depression are not to be taken lightly at any costs.  I am a wreck without my medication.  If you were a diabetic without health insurance, surely there will be a government clinic or hospital that would give you the insulin at no cost or at a price which is pro rata to your income.

Diagnosis: Major Depressive disorder and Bipolar 2 mood disorder.
Current medication: Seroquel 300 mg twice a day (Generic Quetoser) Lexamil (Escitalopram) 20mg, Epilim CR 500 (Sodium Valporate) 3 times a day, Rivotril (Clonazepam) 0,5 mg twice a day and Adco-Mirteron (generic for Remron) 30mg at night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users